Should I go RFID instead of manual keyed ignition?

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.

Poll ended at Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Yes
10%
No
70%
Not Sure
20%

Total votes: 10

VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Not sure if this is going to work but created a poll on RFID ignition. Cant decide whther to go for it or not. Quite an expensive option but what are the plus and negative points?

After the 2 weeks whatever the poll returns is what I will do. I have attached a link for the system I'd be using. Read up on it, watch the video and cast your vote.

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/motorcy ... -full-line
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
bigtwinthing

Re: Should I go RFID instead of manual keyed ignition?

Post by bigtwinthing »

VTR Phoenix wrote:Not sure if this is going to work but created a poll on RFID ignition. Cant decide whther to go for it or not. Quite an expensive option but what are the plus and negative points?

After the 2 weeks whatever the poll returns is what I will do. I have attached a link for the system I'd be using. Read up on it, watch the video and cast your vote.

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/motorcy ... -full-line

UM! the cost might be a good thing to start with? if its a tenner Yeh go for it, if its half the cost of the bike! Er NO
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

The reason I'm thinking of this is that one changed into £'s it's about £180. The "project" I picked up had a different ignition key from the seat lock and no tank cap so another key. In order to rectify this it's either a genuine full lock set or this option. Cost wise they would work out about the same. With this I would also go keyless fuel cap so the only key would be the seat lock.
roger64

Post by roger64 »

Here is my vote for yes :thumbup: and its only getting worse

Just fast forward to 1 minute
Last edited by roger64 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted yellow donor bike
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

There's a guy on Facebook who did this and he seemed happy with it. Pretty expensive though. You will always have one key (for seat lock). Would be just as handy to invest in a lock set with two keys. Just my opinion.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I think it might end up being more annoying than a key, I can imagine walking round the garage getting ready and the bike headlight turning on and off every time I get close. Would drain battery as well whilst sorting out panniers, tank bag, security etc.
I've used a keyless system on a bike with a fob that you tap on the dash to arm/disarm the ignition. With that you get a tiny ID chip as well to stitch in to the finger tip of your gloves. So you just wave your hand over a specific area of the bike and it lights up. I think I'd prefer that than a system that turns on and off as I approach the bike.

It is cool on the Tesla however, when you walk up to the car and the flush door handles pop out, lights come on and the mirrors unfold. It's very welcoming!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

TravisZack wrote:I think it might end up being more annoying than a key, I can imagine walking round the garage getting ready and the bike headlight turning on and off every time I get close. Would drain battery as well whilst sorting out panniers, tank bag, security etc.
I've used a keyless system on a bike with a fob that you tap on the dash to arm/disarm the ignition. With that you get a tiny ID chip as well to stitch in to the finger tip of your gloves. So you just wave your hand over a specific area of the bike and it lights up. I think I'd prefer that than a system that turns on and off as I approach the bike.

It is cool on the Tesla however, when you walk up to the car and the flush door handles pop out, lights come on and the mirrors unfold. It's very welcoming!

It will only turn on if you flick the kill switch, with the kill switch off nothing will come on.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Unless I've missed something, what about the steering lock, how would that work with this key-less system :?:

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Seems just like something else that can go wrong to me :thumbdown:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

sirch345 wrote:Unless I've missed something, what about the steering lock, how would that work with this key-less system :?:

Chris.
Erm yes that is a good point, it would not have one.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

try and get another lock set, mac might have one, not that expensive secondhand, if if it only has one key, just get another one cut.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Unless I've missed something, what about the steering lock, how would that work with this key-less system :?:

Chris.
I was just thinking about insurance purposes, although there must be others who customise bikes with a key-less ignition,

Chris.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

sirch345 wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:

Chris.
I was just thinking about insurance purposes, although there must be others who customise bikes with a key-less ignition,

Chris.
I have contacted a few companies and explained it the same as a few of the performance cars with proximity sensor and kills all electrics when deactivated. They seemed to be ok with it but would have to take the clause out regards the steering lock in the theft category so could cost a little more on insurance. They wanted me to do a quote but if you check the small print on the comparison websites it states they do a credit check every time you search for a quote. This was backed up by an experian report that showed it had an adverse effect on my credit rating.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTR Phoenix wrote: I have contacted a few companies and explained it the same as a few of the performance cars with proximity sensor and kills all electrics when deactivated. They seemed to be ok with it but would have to take the clause out regards the steering lock in the theft category so could cost a little more on insurance. They wanted me to do a quote but if you check the small print on the comparison websites it states they do a credit check every time you search for a quote. This was backed up by an experian report that showed it had an adverse effect on my credit rating.
Interesting, so there are ways around this.

Have you decided what you're intending to do :?:
VTR Phoenix wrote:
They wanted me to do a quote but if you check the small print on the comparison websites it states they do a credit check every time you search for a quote. This was backed up by an experian report that showed it had an adverse effect on my credit rating.
I didn't know that 8O

Chris.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Ok, so majority says NO. Looks like it's a complete lock set and a 929 top yoke for me then.