I missed my bike

General Biker Banter
nt1980

I missed my bike

Post by nt1980 »

After selling my silver storm which I miss immensely i started trolling through the internet trying to find something else in that time i decided to put my storm track bike on the road but it does bother me not having any lights or mirrors on so i have only gone round the block its set a bit stiff for the road but least i have a ride until i came across something that caught my eye and ended up buying it now in bits fixing various things so
i can get it on the road not quite a storm but i have never owned this make before its been down the road but minimal damage needs the following :Brake pedal,crash bung replaced,starter solenoid, spray up engine cover and a good clean up in general. Has anyone else owned or have any of these never ridden it yet but looking forward to it.

1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
lloydie

Re: I missed my bike

Post by lloydie »

I like the colour [THUMBS UP SIGN]
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

I was wondering if the bike reminded me of kermit and thats why i ended up buying it :Beer Popcorn:
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
lloydie

I missed my bike

Post by lloydie »

Should of brought kermit lol
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

Couldn't afford it :mrgreen:
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

These are great bikes, and very quick, I had a T509, the only problem with Triumph is the parts can be pricey and so is servicing.

If I had to choose between a storm or one of these, I would have a speed triple, the sound of race cans on these is really nice, the engine is somewhere between a Vtwin and an inline4, your understand when you finally ride the bike.
popkat

Post by popkat »

If it needs starter solenoid have you heard it running ?, when these bikes go down the road they very quickly starve the crank of oil if still running, hopefully it all ok.. Other than that they are good bikes.
forks are a bit soft and bottom out too easy, careful on emergency stops as front can lock, Maxton can sort them.
drain pipe inside the tank gets corroded and blocked, dry break fuel fittings can crack and the O rings can fail causing fuel leak, plastic tank doesn't like ethanol and paint bubbles from the inside out. rear hubs seize, strip clean any corrosion off and lightly grease on re assembly, rear shock linkage there's a blind bolt that seizes in place, pain in the butt to sort out, often involves cutting it out and getting a new one, can get expensive.
Front brakes can have a lot of lever travel, most probably master cylinder.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
toonarmy

Post by toonarmy »

Colour is stunning nice bike doesn't the engine look huge in proportion
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

great looking bike those... :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

Well managed to get time to mess about with it for a few hours yesterday and by passed the solenoid bike started no noises runs very sweet so at least that is all good now to fix and replace the bits over winter ready for next summer thanks for the help full info and replies
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

Nice bike, would like to ride (and maybe own) one of those someday.
It's sad that, in our blindness we gather thorns for flowers
darkember

Post by darkember »

popkat wrote:If it needs starter solenoid have you heard it running ?, when these bikes go down the road they very quickly starve the crank of oil if still running, hopefully it all ok.. Other than that they are good bikes.
forks are a bit soft and bottom out too easy, careful on emergency stops as front can lock, Maxton can sort them.
drain pipe inside the tank gets corroded and blocked, dry break fuel fittings can crack and the O rings can fail causing fuel leak, plastic tank doesn't like ethanol and paint bubbles from the inside out. rear hubs seize, strip clean any corrosion off and lightly grease on re assembly, rear shock linkage there's a blind bolt that seizes in place, pain in the butt to sort out, often involves cutting it out and getting a new one, can get expensive.
Hey Popkat have you anything good to say about them :lol: :lol:
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

I have owned one and I know a few people who have owned them and never had any of these problems, the only two know problems with them is the sprag clutch fail and on the T509 model a weak 4th gear, apparently they had a batch of ' bad ' fourth gears that a prone to going on them, there's even a site somewhere that listed the engine numbers to check between numbers.

Both of which are extremely expensive fix, the clutch just for the parts is over £2000 without labour.

The later Speed triples don't suffer the gear problem ( obviously ) and the 1050's don't have the same clutch problems.
popkat

Post by popkat »

darkember wrote:
popkat wrote:If it needs starter solenoid have you heard it running ?, when these bikes go down the road they very quickly starve the crank of oil if still running, hopefully it all ok.. Other than that they are good bikes.
Hey Popkat have you anything good to say about them :lol: :lol:

That's not bad.....Lets compare, firestorm. cct failures, suspension link bearings, forks soft, rusty shock springs, rusty subframes, seizing exhaust nuts, the list for all older bikes will be bigger as they've got older.

The 955 triumphs are all getting old now, issues will show up, I've seen ecu failures as well, also vacuum hoses splitting which causes eratic running, as they get older they need more maintenance, the powder coating on the engine, swingarm and wheels flakes off in big chunks, you don't know much about it until it happens as the corrosion is going on under the coating.
I had a guy come to me just yesterday with a 955 that has a blocked drain pipe, he's having issues with water getting in the fuel and stopping the bike running. the pipe goes from the recess under the fuel cap through the inside of the tank and comes out by the fuel pump, there's a screw on nipple but that corrodes in place too, the pipe corrodes and water collects in it making it worse if it's worked it's way up the first bend in the pipe there's no fix I can see, if cracks and leaks inside the tank you'll get water in the fuel, if not then the bike will run fine. when it rains water gets in around the cap surround and pools as it has nowhere to drain... I've seen loads like this as they get older.
My work is bikes I see more than most would :wink:
They were and still are/can be a good bike, I prefer them to the 1050 which has seemless power (= a bit boring) the 955 had a bit of a kick in the power making it a more fun engine imo.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

This is a problem with Harleys, a lot of people can't afford brand new Harleys and buy 12+ year old bikes that have spent most of their time sitting in a garage, then wonder why the are unreliable and leak, once sorted they are as reliable as any other brand.

You can't buy an old bike and not expect your hands to get dirty.