Brake disc mounting bolts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Miztaziggy

Brake disc mounting bolts

Post by Miztaziggy »

The manual recommends replacing these every time they're undone / redone.

I must had had mine out and back in 10 times in last 3 months when changing wheels. I never locktite them or use torque wrench, and haven't had any issues, but now I've read the note in the manual, I'm thinking I should change them, or at least locktite them.

Anyone else recommend changing them or something, or do they say to change them just to save rounding off the Allen key hole?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Ckennedy

Re: Brake disc mounting bolts

Post by Ckennedy »

I would imagin it's all to due with the elements taking effects on the Allen key heads. They may stretch a little but should be much as I don't think there done up very tight?

If the manual has a measurement for the thread then measure it against that? Failing that ask to speak to a tech at suzuki. They may surprise you with what they say.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I have had many bikes and have never changed them,never had an issue neither but there again i don't take notice of sell by dates.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

They tell you to replace them because of the Lawyers.

As for wear on the bolt, here in sunny Ca we don't have the corrosion issues that you guys have which makes bit last much longer.
With that, I am still using the caliper bolts that came on the bike when I purchased it way back in 9\97.

In that time I have run 2 different front ends.
2 different sets of calipers
More front pads than I want to admit to going through and the calipers being pulled more times than I could possible remember.

No rounding of the Allen hex, no bolt stretch.
Though you do need to put your own lock-tite, which IMHO is way they tell you to replace them as they don't trust you to do this step correctly.

So I believe I have done a pretty thorough test of the bolts and can confidently say that you can reuse the caliper bolts with no worries.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

I have reused mine and about a year ago I pulled the thread on one, so I heli coiled it and thread locked and seems fine so far
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I've always re-used mine with no issues, I wonder if they advise to change them, because they'll earn money out of it!!!!!!
just a theory.... :roll:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Its a bolt. I reckon 3 would be strong enough to stop you on one disc. I think the heads could snap off several with no issues. the disc is mounted on a boss on the wheel and there is no lateral force involved on the disc, pure shearing force on the bolt, no twisting or bending on it.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I got the wrong end of this thread
or is that the wrong part :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought we where talking about the two calliper mounting bolts
and then I read the last post and realised :lol: :lol:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Hard steel bolt vs soft aluminium wheel? Don't think bolt stretch/stress is the reason for Honda's recommendations. The comment about lawyer issues is probably on the money, but also the OEM bolts probably have a pre-coated threadlock compound on them that Honda think should not be relied upon for re-use.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150