Shall I update indicators?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Metalmad18

Shall I update indicators?

Post by Metalmad18 »

Hello again

Has anyone here upgraded their indicators. One of mind has just gone and I'm toying with the idea of replacing them all with LED indicators. Maybe have the flush ones for the body. or blanking plates and try to find mirrors with indicators integrated for a 1997 storm (anybody done this?!)

from experience I would need to investigate relays and such as well. So I think this is by far the best place to start before I even touch my bike and start snipping wires. at the moment my front left is out, the others are fine. I have a stock relay at the moment, but if I can do it all alongside the Reg/Rec upgrade then it is one less time I have to take fairings off :)

advice welcome - thanks again
Honda VTR 1000F 1997 Black
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
R&G Bar Ends and protectors
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Manual CCT's (bought but need to be fitted)
Mosfet Reg/Rec
alanfjones1411

Re: Shall I update indicators?

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I got Krieger cct's from markgayle on ebay for £63.00 inc postage from USA in a week.www.kriegercamchaintensioners.com
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

alanfjones1411 wrote:I got Krieger cct's from markgayle on ebay for £63.00 inc postage from USA in a week.www.kriegercamchaintensioners.com
Yeh I already got some of Ade this week. Although I'm not sure if that is relevant to my question :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Mosfet Reg/Rec
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Try the bulb first...one screw, pop the lens off bulb out...For the sake of undoing two screws you can check it with a known working bulb from another indi. If its gone pop take the bulb into your local car spares place for a replacement.

You had the fairing off at all latley ? Just quickly check to make sure you reconected the wires fully...been there done that...Still got the spare bulb I bought to ''Fix it...'' :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you go LED's you will require a different relay... or buy inline resistors...

IMO flush ones look pants & I doubt very much that they can be seen very well from the front...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

MacV2 wrote:something about bulbs and stuff...
Dang Mac - About an hour ago, I waffled on about checking the bulb by using another from the same side. To look for the bullet connections....about all sorts of other stuff INCLUDING how unsafe the flush mounted ones are in terms of visibility and daftness (if you have a death wish), and the reasons I run with sticky out stalk OEM ones.

And then I finished by writing "I hope you don't think I'm talking down to you), and then thought sod it, and deleted my reply - no one wants to read me suggesting simply changing a bulb over and looking for bad connections / checking wires that are held by plastic coated tab beside headlight....blah...blah..... And then, here you is, with the same idea and thoughts. We definitely need to meet for a pint of falling down water in the local Nag and Ferret before I kick the bucket. Which may not be that far away.

Y'know, if I had the money for the fuel that the Storm would drink there and back, I'd say stuff the DVLA, and think nothing on riding down to Grain for a bacon butty for a meet and greet. Even on OEM CCTs (albeit replaced with the another set of OEM about 20,000 miles ago), I trust the bike enough to get me there and back.
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And make sure you use the right wattage bulb or you will have flash rate problems. If you go LED then my advice would be to change the lot out and use a relay designed for LED's. Don't bother with the in-line resisters as they can be hit and miss on quality and how they are wired in..

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
MacV2 wrote:something about bulbs and stuff...
Dang Mac - About an hour ago, I waffled on about checking the bulb by using another from the same side. To look for the bullet connections....about all sorts of other stuff INCLUDING how unsafe the flush mounted ones are in terms of visibility and daftness (if you have a death wish), and the reasons I run with sticky out stalk OEM ones.

And then I finished by writing "I hope you don't think I'm talking down to you), and then thought sod it, and deleted my reply - no one wants to read me suggesting simply changing a bulb over and looking for bad connections / checking wires that are held by plastic coated tab beside headlight....blah...blah..... And then, here you is, with the same idea and thoughts. We definitely need to meet for a pint of falling down water in the local Nag and Ferret before I kick the bucket. Which may not be that far away.

Y'know, if I had the money for the fuel that the Storm would drink there and back, I'd say stuff the DVLA, and think nothing on riding down to Grain for a bacon butty for a meet and greet. Even on OEM CCTs (albeit replaced with the another set of OEM about 20,000 miles ago), I trust the bike enough to get me there and back.
:lol: :lol:

I'm washing me hair that day Dave...in a hotel somewhear far far away... :wink:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

It's only 600 odd miles GBM whats that 5 or 6 tanks fulls...each way...
Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

cheers guys

I was aware of all these factors. Had some issues with indis on my old bike and learned a lot. Replacement bulbs were the route I went down.

I have had the fairings off yes so I have had to disconnect the indicators to get the panels off (aftermarket mini indicators on it so I rewired em with proper spade connectors instead of just twisting and taping.)

flush mounted ones would only be used alongside mirror mounted indicators. I know that places more of a load on the relay. but flush mounts on their own are a terrible idea I know. So I think a better idea if I can get mirror ones is to blank off the holes with proper spacers.

And yes mixing and matching with LEDs and bulbs is a terrible idea.

Just wondering if anyone knew the best setup for this. best signals to buy, if ayone else has found mirrors with indicators i em or not.

The simpler option is to just replace the bulb I know. I'm just trying to gather some knowledge on whether led's or indicator mirrors is doable

thanks
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Mosfet Reg/Rec
TheGingerBeardMan

MacV2 wrote:I'm washing me hair that day Dave...in a hotel somewhere far, far away... :wink:
Hair? Washing? Come off it Suhn. You must be like me by now? Just a wipe over the head with a wet face cloth is all it takes. I've been using the same shampoo bottle now for a year. Only need to wash me bloody eyebrows these-days doncha-know.

Yup - I thought I'd give you plenty warning, so you can change the locks, board up the windows and make it look like you've moved. Not forgetting to make a sign to hammer into the garden: "No Longer At This Address". As long as you leave the bacon butty wrapped on the doorstep before you climb aboard the removals van, I won't hold it against you.

And, as per your visitors instructions, I know never to turn up if there's a Y in the day.
:Ball Kick:

I reset the trip every time when I top up, and usually, approx. 70-6 miles in, the bike will take about £10 to fill, up to the metal fuel bar (on Scottish forecourt prices). So, on that approximation, along with motorway thrashing (now and again), I'd need to have (minimum) 250 quid for fuel. It's about 643 miles to your door, so...a 1300 mile round trip (1300 gives a few miles "getting lost factor").

Then, I need to eat regular nearly every hour (due to T1Diabetes), so a fair bit of cash for tummy fuel. All in all, I reckon I'd need about 400 quid in me pocket before I'd even contemplate the run. I have to stop every 2 hours to do bloods, so that would work out to be about 11hrs total riding from leaving here. Which, on the GLWing would have be a breeze. And on the chop a few years back, would think nothing of going to Dover (14 hours riding to catch the early ferry to Calais) and across to Dulmen in Germany to see some old mates, then up to Groningen (Netherlands) for an MTC meeting, then to Amsterdam for the ferry back to Aberdeen, then home.

The body is proper feched now, but I don't want to believe my riding days are over...just yet. Never say never eh? Fer now, your curtains and blinds can stay open, and you can hold off on buying new locks for yer doors... :lol:

Ok. Back to the indicator post........ (sorry metalmad18 :hijacked: Not intentional!)
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Metalmad18

Post by Metalmad18 »

Haha no worries. bit of light reading never hurt anyone :)
Arrow Exhausts
Maxton Rear Suspension
Renthal Grips
ASV levers
Blackbird Stand

Wanted
Mosfet Reg/Rec
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Metalmad18 wrote:Haha no worries. bit of light reading never hurt anyone :)
True but if you printed out all his waffel...sorry 'enlightening' posts you wouldn't want to drop it on your foot... :lol:
TheGingerBeardMan

Right! That's it! (*rolls sleeves up) :Boxing:

You can keep yer bacon butties now! :Cry:

*walks away muttering obscenities.... :Tongue1:

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL

Thanks guys you had me in stiches :clap: :clap: :clap: eyes watering.

We have a new Laurel and Hardy on the wards. :biggrin

==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL

Thanks guys you had me in stiches :clap: :clap: :clap: eyes watering.

We have a new Laurel and Hardy on the wards. :biggrin

:lol: :lol: ''The wards'' :lol: :lol:

Sorry Carlos but there will only be one Laurel & Hardy around here...You have that one sown up... :wink:

I think we're more like... Detective Frank Drebin & Officer Norberg as a double act...