GoPro helmet mounting

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
SmileyVTR

GoPro helmet mounting

Post by SmileyVTR »

Thought I'd just share how I've (so far) successfully mounted my GoPro on my helmet.

It's more conspicuous,
Doesn't turn me into an aroused Darlek
Decent vibration control (VTR doesn't help that!)
You video what you see
AND should it fall off you know about it! :D

lumpyv

Re: GoPro helmet mounting

Post by lumpyv »

is that for recreational type use or do you always have it on to record everyday events ?? ?

:thumbup: :beer:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I like that idea better than on top of your crash helmet. How is the mount held in place, sticky pads I'm guessing :?:

Chris.
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

Yes Lumpyv - standard 3M GoPro mount, but also a stick-on tether mount on other side (my previous attempt used an extension arm bracket, it worked but at 80mph on M1 it came off...thankfully my DIY tether saved it, but the new method is stronger and the standard tethers are strong)

Paul
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

moved from Photobucket to Flikr, so reloading photo of helmet mount (now improved by being shorter, so less torsion forces trying to pull it off the helmet and so less vibration)

-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

Nice way of mounting the cam :thumbup:
Currently I have a mount for the side, it's a nice view as well, but on the chin really seems better in terms of view/drag.
Could you give me a more in depth view of which parts you used? That looks like a RAM mount?
It's sad that, in our blindness we gather thorns for flowers
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Funnily enough that is exactly where I have mine mounted and a duel Mic on the inside behind the chin vent. Only issue I have are shoulder checks as sometimes hits me on the shoulder.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

There is some wind noise at speed, but sure there would be on any exposed mounting.
I like it here. What you see is captured (side scenery etc), and worst case during an accident you can capture more than that of a fixed forward view.

I believe I used:
Curved GoPro mount
3 x short arms
1 x arm with ball joint
1 x tether (mounted on other side of helmet. Essential - I nearly lost my at speed on M1, tether saved it!)

Just change view mode depending on what you want to capture (including the speedo Officer):

GoPro narrow view:

GoPro wide view:

and as shared before, with a bit of self indulgence (wing mirror mounted - might be good on a track day, captures lean angles):

:thumbup:
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

SmileyVTR wrote:There is some wind noise at speed, but sure there would be on any exposed mounting.
I like it here. What you see is captured (side scenery etc), and worst case during an accident you can capture more than that of a fixed forward view.

I believe I used:
Curved GoPro mount
3 x short arms
1 x arm with ball joint
1 x tether (mounted on other side of helmet. Essential - I nearly lost my at speed on M1, tether saved it!)

Just change view mode depending on what you want to capture (including the speedo Officer):

GoPro narrow view:

GoPro wide view:

and as shared before, with a bit of self indulgence (wing mirror mounted - might be good on a track day, captures lean angles):

:thumbup:
Thanks for the info! The ball joint is something like this if I'm correct:
http://www.carid.com/bracketron/ball-jo ... 15942.html

Will look it up if I'm able to get it somewhere over here :D
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

I use a chest rig personally:
[youtube][/youtube]
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

I like your chest view as well, but unfortunately due to my dark high screen that shot is ruined :think: You can't see anything but the inside of my fairing, hands and the clocks. Also a thing that annoyed me when riding around with the thing on my chest, when I reach high speeds/accelerate fast I always lean a bit more forward and then sometimes it collides with the tank + the view is worse.

But when I compare our 2 views, I see yours is from a higher perspective.. How high do you wear the mount? Mine was at the lower end of my diaphragm. Or you're just 2 meters long and sit very upright :lol:

This is my current view with the cam mounted on the left side.

SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

(agree - my first mount was a chest strap, but I found it awkward with the hump on the jacket and with standard bars any leaning in just videoed my tank.
I've also got a black screen which removed most of the view, and I got fed up have to take it on/off...
BUT horses for courses, if it works for others then excellent!)
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

I'm also a chin-bar fan. I don;t have any pics of the mounting but I use the velcro strap at the moment and wrap it around, just need to keep the visa cracked open but no bother. I was thinking about a sticky on the front at some point.

Good for photos too as it stops a lot of the virbration, still need to shoot a bunch though and pick out the non-blurry ones.

SmileyVTR

Post by SmileyVTR »

LOVE that bottom shot!! :clap:
bald_pig

Post by bald_pig »

-Floris- wrote:I like your chest view as well, but unfortunately due to my dark high screen that shot is ruined :think: You can't see anything but the inside of my fairing, hands and the clocks. Also a thing that annoyed me when riding around with the thing on my chest, when I reach high speeds/accelerate fast I always lean a bit more forward and then sometimes it collides with the tank + the view is worse.

But when I compare our 2 views, I see yours is from a higher perspective.. How high do you wear the mount? Mine was at the lower end of my diaphragm. Or you're just 2 meters long and sit very upright :lol:

This is my current view with the cam mounted on the left side.
I wear it up over my breastbone, plus I'm 6'3" with short legs :lol:

I do tend to sit quite upright when commuting too, I have some footage of a racier position, 3:25 onwards :lol:
[youtube][/youtube]