firestorm smokes from left exhaust

General Biker Banter
swild123

firestorm smokes from left exhaust

Post by swild123 »

Hi, when I start up first thing in the morning my bike smokes from the left exhaust while on side stand
Both cylinders are running and the bike runs fine any ideas why this is ?
lloydie

Re: firestorm smokes from left exhaust

Post by lloydie »

It's normal . The standard exhaust favours the lhs .
swild123

Post by swild123 »

lloydie wrote:It's normal . The standard exhaust favours the lhs .
I think I'm paranoid cheers for reply :D
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

swild123 wrote:Hi, when I start up first thing in the morning my bike smokes from the left exhaust while on side stand
Both cylinders are running and the bike runs fine any ideas why this is ?
I have read on this forum that it's a bad idea to warm the bike up on the side stand. It promotes failure of the front CCT.

I personally can't see the advantage of a long warm up. Just ride the bike gently for a few minutes.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
swild123

Post by swild123 »

I normally start up while I'm putting my crash helmet and gloves on then just take it easy until it is showing warm on the temp gauge
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have read on this forum that it's a bad idea to warm the bike up on the side stand. It promotes failure of the front CCT.
If your still running standard tensioners still yes it's advised not to leave the bike ticking over on the sidestand for too long.

As for the exhaust as Lloydie says it's normal. The right link pipe has for want of a better word, a restrictor inside it that forces more out the left link at lower revs. It's not until you get to higher revs that the exhaust is forced out both cans. I believe the restrictor keeps things (pulses) running smoother at idle/low revs and helps with scavenging.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

cybercarl wrote:The right link pipe has for want of a better word, a restrictor inside it that forces more out the left link at lower revs. It's not until you get to higher revs that the exhaust is forced out both cans.
It's strange that! On the SP its completely the opposite. I still get the same effect with a little condesation burning off one pipe and then the other, just in the reverse order.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's interesting Pete. I would have thought that maybe the electronics on the SP also helps with keeping things running smooth at idle/low revs too. Well fulling most certainly would, but saying that IIRC the SP1's had some low speed issues and then they put larger throttle bodies on the SP2 to try and resolve this.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yes they did.
The SP2 has different injectors for better atomisation. Both versions can benifit from a power commander though. Personally, I don't think Honda spent much time building a map for either bike as the general concensus was they were made to race and any good race team would fit their own ignition mudule. Same with the original suspension, to get the best out of it it needs to be upgraded or replaced.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

If your getting smoke from the bike when first starting then nothing to worry about, if when the bike is warmed up and you still getting smoke but its a blue-ish colour then it probably a piston ring letting oil through.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

That is the most important question...... what color is the smoke?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

StormingHonda wrote:If your getting smoke from the bike when first starting then nothing to worry about, if when the bike is warmed up and you still getting smoke but its a blue-ish colour then it probably a piston ring letting oil through.
Unless you have a high mileage bike it is more likely that oil left standing in the valve spring recesses when you stop the engine is slowly seeping through wearing valve guide oil seals on to the piston crown and then smokes on the next initial firing of the engine. If it gets much worse you may consider a top end overhaul in the future.
swild123

Post by swild123 »

It's not blue smoke
Only when it's cold outside I'm not worried about it just seemed weird that only one exhaust smoked
Bike has only done 13000
Cheers guys
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Roger Ditchfield wrote:
StormingHonda wrote:If your getting smoke from the bike when first starting then nothing to worry about, if when the bike is warmed up and you still getting smoke but its a blue-ish colour then it probably a piston ring letting oil through.
Unless you have a high mileage bike it is more likely that oil left standing in the valve spring recesses when you stop the engine is slowly seeping through wearing valve guide oil seals on to the piston crown and then smokes on the next initial firing of the engine. If it gets much worse you may consider a top end overhaul in the future.
Could be either more likely the piston ring though, high mileage or not.
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

StormingHonda wrote:
Roger Ditchfield wrote:
Could be either more likely the piston ring though, high mileage or not.
I bow to your superior knowledge