VTR Down Under

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Twitchy

Re: VTR Down Under

Post by Twitchy »

So going back to my post in July 2015;
Twitchy wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:35 pmI measured the diaphragm springs after reading that DJ use a much shorter spring. The springs in the carbs are give or take 300mm (12"), the brand new units from Honda are 270mm (10 3/4ish").

I have taken delivery of a US spec DJ kit - 1185.002, and the springs are 137mm long;

Is this correct??? I expect the kit to be correct, but such a difference to my above mentioned spring lengths, that seems like a hell of a lot. Are the non-US spec any different?

Also, the steel rod type tool in the photo which as a small dent in the top - can I guess that is the DT009 mixture screw tool? (not req'd as I have some very nice Jack Flash upgrades!)
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Oem slide springs are different between 1997 and 2001 models. I believe 2001 is a bit firmer.

DJ springs are correct, shorter and softer than oem ones. There is only one version for US. Non US doesnt contain springs at all. In theory softer springs are compensated by 3rd slide hole, but why EU version has the same instruction without using the springs I dont know.

I use only needles from dj kit, slide holes are oem and jets keihin.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Wow its been a long time since I have updated this thread! I had my MT09 (FZ09) to fang around on (now sold) which meant the VTR took a back seat, and with house renovations, and kids sporting obligations, I have done almost nothing in 18 months. But 3 weeks holidays over Christmas gave me some time to get back into the headspace for tinkering. There's gonna be a few photos so I will try and spread it out a bit.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Firstly, regarding airbox discussions around here and SH forum, I got curious about the OEM VTR airbox volume. So I taped up all the holes on the airbox upper and lower, got them as level as I could, and measured the volume by filling with water. My crude method resulted in 5.75 litres for the base (post filter) and 3.75 litres for the upper (pre filter)

With the general consensus being the airbox post filter volume should be around 10 times the engine cubic capacity, the standard VTR airbox is well short...

Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

I have also installed Erik Marquez's COP kit with new Denso coils, and installed Erik's FH020 Mosfet reg/rec. To get the best possible mount, I used 6mm ally plate, drilled and countersunk 1 hole to hold the plate to the frame plate, 2 holes for the reg/rec, 1 tapped due to the frame structure behind, and 1 through the whole lot. Photo explains it better...

Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Another ongoing job is the fuel pump. I have been trying to keep it OEM as possible, even having 5 versions of a plate bracket to mount the Facet 40171 pump at the factory diaphragm location, but gave up on trying to squeeze a pre pump filter there as well. So I have on order a aftermarket replacement pump for various carby Honda models. While waiting for shipping, (which is 2 weeks for anything in Australia), I have modified the fuel line junction from the diaphragm setup by die grinding away the centre section to improve the flow;

and plating the open side with a section of 6mm ally plate (centre section removed for fuel hose clearance);

Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

I have also used a foam protector for pilots headphone microphones to cover the exposed carb slide vent pipes;

And I have searched long and hard, but found a crankcase vent filter smaller than 50mm diameter. Check these out - 35mm diameter with a 5/8 inner diameter, perfect for the valve cover vent pipes (which are actually 19mm but will adapt them down);

Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

So as of right now, my engine bay looks like this;

Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

The plan once the fuel pump turns up is to mount it in the tail, probably up the back right in front of the tail light, and run 2x 3/8 lines down, 1 to the tank, and 1 to the fuel line junction now located on the cross bar.

I have also done some other much needed tasks, like changing the brake & clutch reservoir positions, as they were below the masters. Due to the larger reg/rec, I have split open the harness that runs across the tail unit, removed the old reg/reg feed, and moved the flasher unit to the other side to clean that up. I also fixed the leaking rear mcct, by de-adjusting it, cleaning the thread with solvent, applying some Loctite toothpaste, and readjusting.

I have had the new hugger and undertray painted ready for install, just waiting on some ideas to increase the underseat storage - maybe. Proton flushmount led indicators at the front, Kellermann led indicators a the rear, new smoke tint led taillight, and led numberplate bolt light things to go on as well. Exciting times, except I am back at work, kids are back at school/sports, and at the moment, it summer Down Under, and its 41 degrees C outside. So I can't be arsed being in the shed right now!

More to come, hopefully not too far away!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good progress, well done.
With the fuel pump in the tail, will it self prime when fuel level is low in the tank?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Twitchy wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:23 am Firstly, regarding airbox discussions around here and SH forum, I got curious about the OEM VTR airbox volume. So I taped up all the holes on the airbox upper and lower, got them as level as I could, and measured the volume by filling with water. My crude method resulted in 5.75 litres for the base (post filter) and 3.75 litres for the upper (pre filter)

With the general consensus being the airbox post filter volume should be around 10 times the engine cubic capacity, the standard VTR airbox is well short...

This is why I worked at increasing the volume of mine. I estimate I gained about 1.5 liters over the course of the various mods.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Great to hear what you have been doing with your bike, even better with the photo's, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:36 pm Good progress, well done.
With the fuel pump in the tail, will it self prime when fuel level is low in the tank?
Um.... yeah I hadn't thought of that :oops: . A non return valve out of the tank, and maybe another one before the carb might be the trick...

mik_str wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:07 pm This is why I worked at increasing the volume of mine. I estimate I gained about 1.5 liters over the course of the various mods.
Well with a total OEM box volume of 9.5 litres, it will be difficult to get the recommended 10 litre volume, but yes I have seen various iterations of airbox mods here and SH forum, with the FIL mod. My view is the FIL mod would cut in a little bit to the post filter volume, so say its 9 litre post filter, it still miles ahead of the factory setup.

I have also read that regarding bellmouth stacks, the area 20mm below and 60mm above the bellmouth should be clear to give smooth flow into the stack. I wonder how big the gap is between the bellmouth and the FIL modded filter???

I have dreams of a custom fabbed ally airbox giving 10 litre volume....
consul

Post by consul »

I'm in Canberra and also have Jardine high sets. They registered 101dB which is way over the 96dB allowed. Luckily my PO gave me the original pipes (as well as a race stand, 4 litres of Honda oil and filter, chain lube etc - I got a real bargain too). I'm about to try install the manual CCTs - wish me luck!!! PS - mine runs approx 100 to 102 on really hot days when I get stuck at traffic lights, so be aware of the temperature in Oz summers.
2001 yellow vtr, Jardine high rise pipes, BMC filter (not K&N as told when I bought) and jetted to 110hp at rear wheel (saw dyno chart).
One day I will get used to the torque of this twin. I promise.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Twitchy wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:57 pm
Well with a total OEM box volume of 9.5 litres, it will be difficult to get the recommended 10 litre volume, but yes I have seen various iterations of airbox mods here and SH forum, with the FIL mod.

I have dreams of a custom fabbed ally airbox giving 10 litre volume....
Recommend you don't spend too much money on this, I made a large airbox and dyno'd it, no gains....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.