US/UK VTR Project.

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
chrisgreer23

Re: US/UK VTR Project.

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Yes please. It was always my intention to sell off the parts I don't use. We much as I would like to keep the nice bits from the donor bike, I would probably only keep the mechanical pieces I needed and sell everything else. The engine, frame, wheels and nice fairings would be sold. Any warn out pieces would be trashed, sorry, binned.
If a job is worth doing, its worth doing correctly.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

What do you want for the black one as it stands? I am looking for a project and you could get some wonga towards a road worthy one
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

StuartWags wrote:What do you want for the black one as it stands? I am looking for a project and you could get some wonga towards a road worthy one
Thats a tough question to answer. I havnt mentioned this yet in this build thread, but my plan is to use the frame from the black bike. The reason behind this is because the black bike has a us spec frame. As a US service member, im able to register this vehicle in the UK. When I leave the UK, it is able to go with me home to US or wherever I go next. I am unable to bring a UK bike home with me when it comes time to leave.

So to answer your question, I won't sell the black bike as it is. But that is only because I need to switch frames. I figue while I'm doing this, I'll keep the best mechanical pieces from both bikes. The cosmetics will take a back seat to safety. I can work on the looks as I go.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good luck with your project :thumbup: Interesting to hear about the rules and regs on your bike for the UK and USA,

Chris.
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

sirch345 wrote:Good luck with your project :thumbup: Interesting to hear about the rules and regs on your bike for the UK and USA,

Chris.
They just go by the VIN on the frame for insurance and shipping purposes. In the UK, does the bike frame and engine have to match for the MOT?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

chrisgreer23 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Good luck with your project :thumbup: Interesting to hear about the rules and regs on your bike for the UK and USA,

Chris.
They just go by the VIN on the frame for insurance and shipping purposes. In the UK, does the bike frame and engine have to match for the MOT?
I'm not an mot tester, but as I understand it here in the UK, and if they have not changed the rules, providing the frame number matches up with the registration number that's okay, it doesn't matter if the engine number is different. No doubt an mot tester on here will confirm if I have that right or not :?:

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

sirch345 wrote: No doubt an mot tester on here will confirm if I have that right or not :?:

Chris.

Ok then, when doing an MOT we use the chassis/vin number and registration number to log the vehicle on to the system to do the MOT, if a vehicle is un registered we can go by the just chassis/vin number.

as a side note vehicles registered on or after 1st August 1999 must have a chassis number, So to those who have or want to get their frames powder coated make sure the chassis number is still clearly readable. before this date the tester can mark it as chassis number not readable or something similar and go by the registration number.
Only exception is amateur built whatever that's supposed to mean ?. I can only guess that it's for customs, chops etc but surely that leaves it open to abuse, you build a frame in your shed or buy a pro built frame then use the number off the frame from the donor bike therefore registering a bike using new and old parts on an older registration... This was what Q plates used to be for...
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Looks like I have found a bike. I found one that has 13000 miles. I'll keep ya'll posted.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

pictures pictures pictures
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Last edited by chrisgreer23 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Last edited by chrisgreer23 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Only has 13000 miles on it. Not bad for 1200 pounds.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

that's a bargain, prices seem to be on the up and up these days, so that's a steal, I've always liked that colour scheme, you have to keep an eye on the colours fading over time. keep us updated on your projects progress.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Unfortunately I want be keeping the fairings. I'll probably tidy them up and sell them as a set. I'll keep the ones I have.