'Stealth' speed cameras to be deployed on 300 miles of motor

Where are the boys in blue hiding??????
sirch345
Site Admin

'Stealth' speed cameras to be deployed on 300 miles of motor

Post by sirch345 »

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/st ... lsignoutmd

QUOTE from above link:-

More than 300 miles of Britain's busiest motorways will be monitored by a new generation of "stealth" speed cameras.

The new cameras, which are grey rather than the highly visible yellow cameras seen around roadworks, will be deployed on 11 motorways including the M1, M4, M5 and M6.

The cameras will be deployed along stretches of "smart motorways" to enforce variable speed limits when the hard shoulder is used as an additional lane at peak times.

The cameras have already been deployed on the M25, where more than 600 motorists have been caught speeding in two months.

According to the Highways Agency, the cameras will be positioned on six stretches of smart motorway over the next two years including the M1, M6 and M3.

They will be deployed across a further 15 stretches of smart motorway which are in the planning stage, including on the M4, M5 and M23.

Under the plans, the cameras will ultimately be deployed at intervals along a total of 300 miles of motorways.

On Thursday the Highways Agency published the outcome of a consultation on plans for smart motorways on stretches of the M1 in South Yorkshire and Derbyshire.

The document disclosed that Sheffield Chamber of Commerce had raised concerns that the cameras should "not be a revenue-raising tool, nor be seen as such".

Derbyshire Police also raised concerns that opening the hard shoulder to traffic would stop its officers from being able to perform roadside checks on motorists.

In its response, the Highways Agency confirmed that the new cameras would be used.

It said: "Camera based enforcement provides a safer alternative to stopping drivers on the hard shoulder for this type of offence. Discussions are continuing on the precise details of enforcement with safety camera partnerships.

"The levels of compliance will be monitored closely during the initial operation of the scheme so that appropriate measures can be taken if required."

A spokesman for the Highways Agency said: "Variable speed limits on smart motorways are designed to smooth traffic flow, improve journey times and reduce congestion for millions of motorists while at the same time maintaining safety.

"The vast majority of motorists are sticking to the speed limits. There are clear signs where cameras are in place and the new cameras are more visible than the previous versions."

Chris.
Stratman

Re: 'Stealth' speed cameras to be deployed on 300 miles of m

Post by Stratman »

I'm always amazed how many cars fly past me when I'm in the car doing 50mph in the 50mph average speed check zone on a motorway as if they have some special immunity. Nowadays I stick the cruise control at the max speed limit and stick to it - most motorways and way too crowded to go consistently fast on anyway.

Plenty of B roads to GLF on IMHO :D
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Stratman wrote:I'm always amazed how many cars fly past me when I'm in the car doing 50mph in the 50mph average speed check zone on a motorway as if they have some special immunity. Nowadays I stick the cruise control at the max speed limit and stick to it - most motorways and way too crowded to go consistently fast on anyway.

I do a ton of motorway miles travelling around the country for work. It seems like there's roadworks on pretty much every motorway at the moment.

Personally, I set the cruise control to 56 on the digital gauge, haven't had a fine yet. I figure that's about 52-53 in actual speed, so well within the tolerance. I usually find there's quite a few people doing the same speed, occasionally I see someone going faster, but they're usually the retards that don't know the meaning of the term 'average' and they brake hard for every camera.

I go through the gantry cameras when they're off usually at anything between 80 and 95 on the speedo, and again, have never had a fine. I guess things may change over the coming years. I would guess within 15 years, all motorways will be monitored for their entire length. It'll be a real ball ache getting anywhere fast.

They aren't doing this for 'safety' reasons. They're doing it because the slower the traffic travels, the more traffic you can fit on the road without it coming to a halt. That's why the 50 average cameras seem to work through road works sections and keep the traffic flowing, although slowly.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Its already in place around Bristol on the M4, M5 junction and around to the M32 Junction.
I was moaning about it the other day and a couple who actually use that route daily as their normal commute did say it was better than it had been before, I was surprised!
They admitted that it might be slow but at least it was flowing.
Miztaziggy wrote:I would guess within 15 years, all motorways will be monitored for their entire length. It'll be a real ball ache getting anywhere fast.
They wont need to. They already have a system which, with the addition of a black box to your ECU, will automatically set the speed (or Stop) your car.
I bet your car will automatically change to what ever the set speed limit is as you pass the sign, just like your sat nav recognizes cameras and speeds now.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They aren't doing this for 'safety' reasons. They're doing it because the slower the traffic travels, the more traffic you can fit on the road without it coming to a halt.
And there was me thinking they where only doing it to make money. :roll:

I've known about the M25 ones for about a year now. And they really are not that obvious. You have the white marker lines painted on the ground and people think Oh there is no camera there, as they are not up on the gantry. And people continue to speed through them and only slow down where the see the camera up the gantry. This next generation camera's don't look like gatso but more like a standard CCTV camera.

My mate got told about the M25 ones when he got sent on a speed awareness course about a year ago now. The authorities are really starting to clamp down on speeding and getting very sneaky. No more being painted bright yellow. They are all linked to the computer system and do the maths for average speed, know where you speed up and slow down between cameras etc etc. Plus number plates recorded and checked for insurance, mot etc etc, plus you identities cross referenced against other computer networks linked up to them to see if you wanted etc etc. We must be the most monitored country in the world.

I tell you what, soon we will be safer to travel in a stolen vehicle. You only have to worry about plod on the road then, not all the camera's. The sad thing is....that the criminals will mostly get away with it while the majority of good citizens will continue to get fines.

I no longer use the M25 now when going down to the A21 and now use London's South Circular and pick it up from there. At least when going through heavy traffic on the bike my number plate is hidden the majority of the time because the roads are so crowded. That is the one benefit of heavy traffic. It's tough luck for the cagers.

Oh any anyone that says I'm not doing anything illegal so I'm not bothered, a bit like when they wanted to force us to have identity cards is a naïve fool. This is all part of the whole data collection thing http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 56#p370873

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

You should all now be thinking about buying Harleys, because eventually that's going to be the best choice for slow rides.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You could be right mate, but sadly there are bigger issues at stake here than a speeding.

Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

cybercarl wrote:At least when going through heavy traffic on the bike my number plate is hidden the majority of the time because the roads are so crowded. That is the one benefit of heavy traffic. It's tough luck for the cagers.
Phew! That's a relief, I've been running a copy of your plate on my bike for the last 18 months now. If you get yourself caught doing something silly they might realise you can't be in two places at the same time :shh:

:D :D :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

It always feels like the motorist (the genuine road legal ones that is) are being targeted again, as we are, lets face it easy targets.

One thing that always amazes me is that they say there are around one million people with uninsured vehicles, you would think with all the camera's and technology of today they would have reduced that figure significantly by now. They must have an idea who these people are seeing as they know how many we have roughly :crazy:

Fair enough Pete you using Carl's reg number :wink: because I'm using yours :thumbup:

Chris.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

sirch345 wrote:Fair enough Pete you using Carl's reg number because I'm using yours
That's a relief. I thought it was MacV, and we all know what a dodgy geezer he can be :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Pete.L wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Fair enough Pete you using Carl's reg number because I'm using yours
That's a relief. I thought it was MacV, and we all know what a dodgy geezer he can be :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
How dare you !

I've got Pete's on Nue Red.

Carl's on Dropper.

& Sirch's on Smokin Joe.

Pete should be most worried of course as Nue Red is, well Red & therefore fastest of course... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's not my plate as I've been using Marty's plate for the last year or so :lol: We shoud have a numberplate swapping party.

Camera's are no good for catching uninsured drivers. All they do is pin point the vehicle at a time and place. And considering there are less plod on the roads and when they are out they usually busy doing something else like catching speeders with a gatso gun :roll: they haven't the time to make their way to where the non insured vehicle was last seen. And anyway, by the time they get there the vehicle has gone.

Personally I think the whole nation should remove their number plates out of protest. What are they going to do then. Yeh a few unlucky ones will get nicked, but plod will be so overwhelmed (is that the word :think: ) with it all they wont be able to cope. Could you imagine, every vehicle on the road with no number plates. :biggrin

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

StormingHonda wrote:You should all now be thinking about buying Harleys, because eventually that's going to be the best choice for slow rides.
when they do one out the crate that handles i might!!! XR 1200 is the closest that I've tried.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

Are these cameras the HADECS 3 on the pillar, or something i have missed?

mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Stratman wrote:I'm always amazed how many cars fly past me when I'm in the car doing 50mph in the 50mph average speed check zone on a motorway as if they have some special immunity. Nowadays I stick the cruise control at the max speed limit and stick to it - most motorways and way too crowded to go consistently fast on anyway.

They DO have immunity, it's called 'No tax, No insurance, No license.

They can't be caught for anything unless there's a plod to actually stop them,
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.