NamBusters II - Return to North VietNam

General Bike chat
firestorm996

NamBusters II - Return to North VietNam

Post by firestorm996 »

Hi all

I mentioned in this thread >> http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33441 that we'd be doing a return trip to Vietnam this year, and so we are. Rather than try and keep several trip reports up to date along with Facebook etc I set up a blog (linky below) in advance. I've tried to get it rolling with some useful prep info for now, but while we're away I'll endeavour to update it at the end of each day. It would be great if any of you followed the trip, and comments are always welcome. :)

http://nambusters.blogspot.co.uk/

In a nutshell, we'll be heading north/north east from Hanoi up to the border with China, taking in the incredible Ban Gioc waterfall, then heading across the south east extremity of the Himalayas over several days. One of the roads we'll take in is the Ma Pi Leng Pass:

But in general there will be a lot of riding at altitude, mountains and scenery.

What with this being a Honda based forum you'll be happy to know that we're ditching the Minsks this time and using Honda XR150's :biggrin

Since we're well off the beaten track with this trip, much of the time we'll be staying at home stays, which tend to be bamboo stilt houses where you sleep on a mat on the floor. We've got about 36 days until we fly out to Hanoi, I'll drop a note on here when the trips about to begin.

Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
MacV2

Re: NamBusters II - Return to North VietNam

Post by MacV2 »

Look forward to reading that... :thumbup:

Have a great trip & ride safe.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Added to my Favourites Neil.
Enjoy, and safe trails :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Love reading about your trips keep them coming and stay safe
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lloydie wrote:Love reading about your trips keep them coming and stay safe
+1, its great to read about the travels, and will inspire a few of us to get off our arses!
AMcQ
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Thanks chaps :D

I'm happy to help if anyone is thinking of doing something similar. Its a piece of cake, just do it is my advice. The hardest bit is getting it past the wife :biggrin

Glad to see a few hits on the blog, it will get active in the runup to the trip (we fly out 20th Feb).
Firestorm996
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Another +1 here.

Bookmarked your blog. Great idea that as your last thread got a bit slow on the page load time being so pic heavy. My cousin done the same when he went to Nam and then off to Malaysia and Oz.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

cybercarl wrote:
Another +1 here.

Bookmarked your blog. Great idea that as your last thread got a bit slow on the page load time being so pic heavy. My cousin done the same when he went to Nam and then off to Malaysia and Oz.

Quite right :) It was also hard for me to manage (reflected in the time it took to get the write-ups done) because I was doing a mini writeup each day on my iPhone onto Facebook. That meant having to take certain photos during the day with my phone as well as my normal camera so I could upload phone photos while we were away. Then when we got back I took the Facebook writeup and expanded on it properly, plus sort out all the photo uploads a second time and did the writeup here. This time I've got a Nexus 7 with SD card reader so I can pick and choose photos from my camera from the day and upload those to the blog, and the nexus with a bluetooth keyboard means I can type a lot quicker than on a poxy iPhone. I'm also just taking a little notebook and pen so I can note down place names and things of note that I want to include in the blog each day. It's surprising but honestly I reckon there's 50% of what we did or things we saw that didn't get included in the writeup because we did so much in such a short space of time. You can't remember it all, so I'll note down a few keywords as we go then I know to write about them later.
Firestorm996
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hope the ribs are are on the mend. Been there, know how that feels. :( I tried subscribing to your RSS feed via Choose application. I chose Apple Mail (I prefer emails) but for some reason It would not allow it. Maybe it's a Firefox thing, I shall try again later but go through Safari. I've got to say Neil, your write up's are very well done. Your English is exceptionally good which is always nice to see and read, and it's also nice to see links provided where needs be. I'm sure that will help others if ever planning a trip like that :thumbup:

firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Thanks Carl :)

The ribs are improving, this is the fourth time I've broken them, the worst of all being when I broke 5 ribs at the back.

I try to type proper Queen's English, even though bloody autocorrect often conspires against me! Can't stand txt spk etc.

Not sure about the RSS feed and email notifications, the blog engine I'm using is Google. Blogger so if google can't make it work I doubt I have any chance! But I'll take a look tomorrow.

Thanks for the encouragement once more.
Firestorm996
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

But I'll take a look tomorrow.
Don't worry about it Neil, it seems the issue is my end. After recently upgrading my OS system Mail seems to have lost it's RSS capabilities. Might be time for me to install a dedicated RSS reader. Bloody technology it drives me mad, I have a love hate relationship with it. I seem to spend as much time learning (wasting time with) it as using it. Everything changes so fast in this industry. :evil:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

WOW another trip :thumbup:

Take care Neil and your mates too, have a safe and enjoyable time. I look forward to following your blog :D

Chris.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

sirch345 wrote:WOW another trip :thumbup:

Take care Neil and your mates too, have a safe and enjoyable time. I look forward to following your blog :D

Chris.

Thanks Chris - we just can't wait to get going again!

My VTR has been SORN'd since December, the weather looked crap and I don't have any winter gear any more so I just SORN'd it for a few months. I doubt I'll be taxing it again at start of Feb either, so the next time I sling a leg over a bike will most likely be in Hanoi amongst this lot!

Firestorm996
Ges

Post by Ges »

Will make great reading during gloomy lunch breaks in London
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Neil are you mad or what :lol: that looks horrendous :problem:
I'm sure it will be worth it though, if going by your previous trips is anything to go by :D

I bet you can't wait :thumbup:

Chris.