Anyone know anything about wood burners?

General Biker Banter
tony.mon

Anyone know anything about wood burners?

Post by tony.mon »

I have a couple of wood burners, one needs fitting- couldn't be easier, a single vertical flue, straight through a new flat roof.
The wood burner is an antique french one I picked up years back. Trouble is, I'm told they have to have a CE mark or you can't install them now.
A bit of advice needed, and maybe a hand to install it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Re: Anyone know anything about wood burners?

Post by agentpineapple »

I have 3 log burners in spain, never heard of them having to have type approval mate, just be aware of soot build up and air being blown back down the flue, we put the hats/end caps on ours to stop it happening.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Hi tony, you have a pm :thumbup:
Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I know know to get them going :biggrin The tricky bit is shutting them down to burn through the night and still be alight in the morning. You have to get to know them and play with the vents. Play with the fire and see how the air vents vents control things. Watch learn and play, or is that play watch and learn :D They are good for warming cold cups of tea up :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:I know know to get them going :biggrin The tricky bit is shutting them down to burn through the night and still be alight in the morning. You have to get to know them and play with the vents. Play with the fire and see how the air vents vents control things. Watch learn and play, or is that play watch and learn :D They are good for warming cold cups of tea up :thumbup:

(:-})
you like to burn things..... :lol:
I have to light a wood burner in my room every night in winter, you get to work out the best way to build the fire, that's when all those free newspapers come in handy..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lanny

Post by lanny »

The wife asked me if she could put another shovel of coal on our fire last night, I said if it got any colder she could light the F***er :biggrin
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Cheers, all, I'll give it a go and ignore the doom mongers on t'internet.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

most important bit is that its venting properly. don't know where you are having it but sometimes they insist on having an airbrick or a hit and miss vent fitted nearby. that will help it draw

you don't want asphyxiate yourself .

good luck.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

I had a Hunter Midi 20 multifuel stove for quite a number of years in the late 80's
they are a wonderful source of heat and not only heat the room but the whole home.
But I would pay attention to the following ..
1. Decide does it burn wood only or coal only or is multifuel and can burn the lot.
if wood they can be banked up and left stacked and simmering all night with little or no air control
coal same but they require more air.
2.Make sure the flue pipe is safe and fitted to BS standards with no dangers of fires to walls , ceilings and
rear paraphernalia. Tremendous heat is generated and all has to be safe. In front of stove has to be protected
from embers/ ashes that may fall out from the front ..
2a .. Find a source for spare parts for your stove ... glass / fire bars / pans etc ..
3.Make sure that you are able to sweep the flue or clean the chimney easily with brushes and or vacuums.
an inspection flap/hole will be required to insert brushes pipes etc to do the annual chimney clean/sweep
and clean and remove soot etc . They are more efficient when the flue is clean ..
4. Wood ... burn only seasoned wood 12 months dried at least or you may get tar deposits in the flue pipe/
chimney ... coals well sort out the smokeless or non but there is a big choice there
5.Make sure your room is well ventilated a good draught is very good and will help the stove.
I got rid of mine as I got lazy .. cutting wood / coals but they are wonderful my hunter did all the central heating
and well I sold it it was snapped up... good luck :thumbup:
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

they are dead easy to fit as long as you get everything sealed up properly.i had 2 in my last house ,you only need heatas certificate if your planning to sell the house.other wise you have to take it with you when you go.
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

If you're in a smokeless zone then you're only allowed to burn smokeless fuel. There's Defra approved burners that I think allow some flexibility on fuel in these zones but I find the rules very confusing!

Apparently their increased popularity in London has, along with new bio-mass burners, negated the improved air quality in London that Boris's low emissions zone would otherwise have been expected to achieve.

Sitting in front of mine now!
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

shops try to sell the logs as zero carbon.you have to ignore the fuel it took to cut the tree down,transport it,cut it into logs,packaging factory and delivery.i herd a guy the local shop at lengh it was all a load of bollox.they do work great though especialy if you can get your logs free :thumbup:
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

log burners are like computers

Sometimes log on. Sometimes log off
chric

Post by chric »

pallets burn great just too quick :(
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

as long as its not log on the carpet :sad2