Clutch snatch

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dylan Rogers

Clutch snatch

Post by Dylan Rogers »

New to storm just off B12. Fist full of throttle let clutch out fast get big clutch snatch. Is it me or maybe cush rubbers?
steve

Post by steve »

hi, could just be cush rubbers knackered, or your chain is a bit loose. then again it might be something all toghether different. How many miles has the bike got on it?? I had trouble with my clutch after putting the wrong oil in it (the one recommended by my local honda dealer funny enough!) changed the oil to a semi sythetic and all the problems went away! I get a funny problem with mine now, sounds daft i know, but, if you pull a big wheelie in second (up on the clutch) then when you come down it feels like there's air in the clutch fluid. If you try and bleed the clutch you do get air out, can't figure out how its getting in there though. if you pump the lever a couple of times it goes back to normal.... til next time anyway!!!

steve
Masu

Post by Masu »

Funny I came off and old (85) GSXR to the VTR, and I get the same thing, if the revs are up abit, and you let the clutch out, it rocks the front wheel skyward and makes a godawful sound, scared the sh1t out of me a few times.

In reading up about it, I have found in the mag tests that came out in 97 etc. with the VTR that the 1/4 mile times sucked, why???? The mag journalsists all said the clutch was too grabby. If the coal was piled on a bit high and a bit too soon, the clutch grabbed really hard for some front wheel excitment, giving poor launches and thus crap 1/4 mile times.

Just get used to it, if there is nothing wrong with it. I hardly ever notice anymore.

Cheers!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
steve

Post by steve »

Hi, me again! what do you mean crap 1/4 mile times??? i take mine drag racing in the summer, got 11.6@118 at avon park and 11.4@123 at north weald last year, and i'm not exactly a ten stone roadtester!!( or 16 come to think of it!)

steve
steve
Masu

Post by Masu »

Well I'll find the mag for you and scan it if you like, but I remember that compared to the TLS, a Duc and something else, the VTR did not do as well, the pro drag race dude that they had with them on the 1/4 mile test said that the clutch was too grabby.

I'll tell you what my bike does; If the clutch is slightly engaged, and the revs are built up and the clutch is engaged more as the revs go up, there is no problem. If I let the engine built revs (not excesive) and then engage the clutch somewhat quickly (NOT "dumping" the clutch), then it catches really hard, lofts the front tire, makes a god awful grinding noise and scares the sh1t out of me.

You can get those kind of times on the 1/4 mile, you must be doing something right dude!!

Cheers!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien
Dylan Rogers

Clutch snatch

Post by Dylan Rogers »

:D Masu,
Thanks mate you hit the problem right on especially the horrible grinding noise.
Cheers.
Get on with enjoying my rides now.
Get clutch engaged ASAP and then grab a handful, yes.