larger oil cooler?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jscobey

larger oil cooler?

Post by Jscobey »

anyone find one that bolts up pretty simple? i know the 4 row RC51 unit will but one of the connections is turned 45 degrees and must be cut off and rewelded to fit the VTR. i dont really wanna go spend $75 to have someone do that but double the surface area for oil cooling would be nice since she seems to run a bit hotter with internals. not too hot so im not to worried, but no harm from getting the oil temp slightly down in the heat of track day conditions.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
mik_str

Re: larger oil cooler?

Post by mik_str »

Posted this on the SH forum alrady, but am re-posting as it may be good info for someone else.....

I am running said cooler and had the inlet rotated by a rad shop. I fabbed a mount out of thin sheet of aluminum and it's been good for 6 years or so.

For additional cooling (I am running about 12.2:1 compression - JE pistons and decked heads), I run Engine Ice and added an in-line cooler on the bottom rad hose (similar to this: Modquad Polaris RZR All Radiator Inline Cooler Billet RZR RC RD | eBay but with full vanes across teh board). I have no issues with cooling.......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Four row oil cooler?
I just used braided lines on the sp1 std outlets and let it sit where it wants to- one of the SP1 bolt holes lines up with the Storm mounting and seems to hold it perfectly well.
4 degree advancer, high comp JE's and a home-brewed airbox- runs in the lower half of the gauge at all times.

If you're sitting in traffic for more than a few minutes, simply kill the engine.

I bought the necessary switchgear and telltale to fit an override on the fan so that I could manually operate it, but never needed to fit it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

if you carefully cut the standard oil line hoses off the part that connects to the engine you are left with 10mm barbs so i made up my own hoses and fitted a oil cooler off a triumph 955, it was a 9 row i think and comes with banjo fittings with 10mm barbs.so the hose part was easy just needed to make a bracket.i picked my oil cooler up for a fiver too.
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

tony.mon wrote:Four row oil cooler?
I just used braided lines on the sp1 std outlets and let it sit where it wants to- one of the SP1 bolt holes lines up with the Storm mounting and seems to hold it perfectly well.
4 degree advancer, high comp JE's and a home-brewed airbox- runs in the lower half of the gauge at all times.

If you're sitting in traffic for more than a few minutes, simply kill the engine.

I bought the necessary switchgear and telltale to fit an override on the fan so that I could manually operate it, but never needed to fit it.
Any photos of the set up? Ideally I'd do what Mik did but I'm trying to avoid paying for a weld. My buddy may do it for free or at least cheap, but I'd rather avoid it if I could.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Have a look at the thread on SH forum, I posted a link to another OEM Honda cooler that requirs no mods......
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

mik_str wrote:Have a look at the thread on SH forum, I posted a link to another OEM Honda cooler that requirs no mods......
Go on spill the beans which Honda ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

vtrjames

Post by vtrjames »

i havnt got any photos of it.to hand anyway but i made a bracket out of 1.6mm steel and bolted it up where the original oil cooler bolts on. the bracket is easy enough just a little awkward to get the angle of the bend correct so the oil cooler doesn't come into contact with the rocker cover.