Undertray advise

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jimmieec

Undertray advise

Post by Jimmieec »

Hiya chaps,

I've just completed my first mod on the VTR (baffleoctomey) and now the next mod is in the pipelines! :D So a few words of wisdom regarding undertrays would be much obliged.

Firstly I have a datatool on my VTR with a flashing light next to the seat locking mechanism. Can I cut this out without it affecting the alarm or will it start going off and give me agg later on? Does it even need to be moved or modified when I fit this new undertray? Electrics and wiring are all totally alien to me so any advise would be appreciated.

Also how would you guys recommend I mod the existing undertray? Insitu or remove altogether removing battery and loom etc. I'm leaning towards Insitu because as above I'm not confident on electrics. :?

Would a dremmel be ok to mod the undertray? How did you do it?

Lastly does anyone know the colour code of my 99 red one?

Any info would help me out massively

Thanks in advance

Jim
If it moves, oil it. If it doesn't, oil it until it does.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Undertray advise

Post by sirch345 »

Your bike's RED paint code should be R157 Italian Red.

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

You will have to cut down the rear of the standard under-tray.

Depending on the new under-tray you have depends on how much you have to trim off.

On the one I fitted the seat lock hole in the new tray was too big for the lock, check yours what yours is like before any cutting. It would seem that they are designed to fit over rather than replace that part of the original. That being the case then leave the alarm well alone & just drill a hole in in the new under-tray so the light is visible.

It would be best to take it all off to be honest, simply because it will make trimming the under-tray easier.

Take a load of pics before you take anything apart. Unplug the loom only where you need to. The plugs are all different & colour coded which makes plugging it all back together rather fool proof ( it didn't fool me... :lol: )

Re the trimming bit, a Dremmel will be fine. Use masking tape to get straight & even lines. Measure twice...cut once ! Your better taking off a little less than to much...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
nt1980

Post by nt1980 »

The under tray I found one of these on flee bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksi ... &_from=R40 this was to replace a home made one for my track bike the original one will be in the way even the battery part. The only reason my one did fit is that all the electrics sit in the tail unit and the battery sits in the old under tray but raised slightly giving enough room to get the new one in.
1998 black vtr (mods cbr900 fork conversion, ohlins rear shock, ohlins steering damper, prolite discs brembo master cylinder, goodridge braided lines, harris rear sets, Quick shifter,Mario Fairing, etc)
Jimmieec

Post by Jimmieec »

MacV2 wrote: Unplug the loom only where you need to. The plugs are all different & colour coded which makes plugging it all back together rather fool proof ( it didn't fool me... :lol: )
By unplugging the loom, would it affect my alarm? It's a pain in the ar$e as it is and it's working fine haha. I would be really out of my depth if that went wrong
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jimmieec wrote:
MacV2 wrote: Unplug the loom only where you need to. The plugs are all different & colour coded which makes plugging it all back together rather fool proof ( it didn't fool me... :lol: )
By unplugging the loom, would it affect my alarm? It's a pain in the ar$e as it is and it's working fine haha. I would be really out of my depth if that went wrong
No idea but if you have a good look around before you unplug anything you might be able to get the loom & various bits out of the way to remove the std under-tray. Apart from the battery which you will have to disconnect before removing.

Off the top off me head. Unplug the rear indi's, disconnect the rear lights, remove the tail plastics, disconnect & remove the battery, the fuse box should just lift out of the way, the ICU & ignition box should just lift out of the way. You will have to disconnect the seat lock, either just remove the sprig clip that holds on to the under-tray or un hook the cable from the lock mech. There should be 2 screws or nut & bolts to undo at the rear holding the under-tray on to the rear of the subframe. Half way down the bottom rail of the sub-frame the under-tray clips on around the rails, easy just push them off. At the base of the battery box the under-tray clips over the ,probably rusty, cross member. This can be a bit of a bitch to get off, try a rubber mallet. Good time to get a wire brush on the cross member & clean it up a bit. Once you have that last bit un-snapped, you free top wiggle out the under-tray.

When cutting your aim is to remove enough to allow the new tray to fit snugly but don't remove the the rear where the seat lock is ! Think of it as your just cutting away the bit that forms the rear mudguard/ plate holder. In doing this you'll be cutting off the indi mounting holes as well, so notch out the corner of the styandard under-tray or make appropriate holes for the indi wires to pass through.

Cut some off & offer it up until the new tray fits snugly. Don't go mad with the first cut, do a bit at a time, you should be able to see what & where needs to be cut. when happy with snugness factor fit it back on the bike. Just fit the standard but cut tray, then offer up the new tray. Make any adjustments as ness, take the std tray off again if ness. Drill the hols for the indi wires, drill a hole for the alarm LED in the new tray. Box it back up. Make sure the bike starts & the seat lock works. Go & have a beer if it's all ok.

The new under-tray you have linked to looks like the one I have, it should have a hole in the rear which when fitted allows access to the seat lock
Jimmieec

Post by Jimmieec »

Fantastic, cheers mate. What an answer!

I can get cracking now :thumbup:

Did you sell the paddock stand in the end?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Fantastic, cheers mate. What an answer!
Just to prove he knows what he's taking about. :P

The LED for the alarm would most likely be fine to remove, without any issues, if you decided to remove it. It's only an LED, so just chop the wires and cap off the open ends at the wiring loom.

You may have an issue with either letting the battery run totally flat or disconnecting it from the alarm/power supply though, so be careful. Some alarms need resetting afterwards by unplugging the main wiring harness for the alarm, removing fuse, opening them up and removing the internal battery/fuse or something. Other alarms may require a particular key combination on the remote fob to reset them. Others may require both, depends on the complexity of the alarm really. My advice would be to check the model number for the alarm and ask google first. Plenty of Alarm info out there on specific alarms.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

I would simply relocate the led even if it is under the seat. On some systems if the remotes lose their coding or the alarm has a fault the led can be used with the ignition key to recover the system.
98 'Storm
16 Kawasaki Z1000sx
95 CB500r
98 Vfr800
00 Zx6r

Destined4bikes17@gmail.com
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jimmieec wrote:Fantastic, cheers mate. What an answer!

I can get cracking now :thumbup:

Did you sell the paddock stand in the end?
No worries.

Re Paddock stand Red one is still available.
Jimmieec

Post by Jimmieec »

Gents

Sorry to open an old thread but I'm stuck having finally got round to doing it!

I've bought a standard undertray so I can get the new undertray to fit so my bike isn't off the road for any length of time.

Cut it down and both the fixing bolts are lined up ok..

But the seat lock hole doesn't?!

Any tips fellas? Pics below

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Check to see if the lock fits the hole in the new undertray (white one) if it fits OK cut the hole bigger, in the under-undertray (black one ) to match the the outer. The one I had the hole was too big so the lock HAD to stay in the original undertray but the holes lined up fine.

If the lock doesn't fit correctly in the White one then you will have to cut that hole larger to fit it.

Are you going to paint the white undertray ? If so before you do fibreglass up that hole & just cut a new one in line with the the existing hole in the black undertray...
Jimmieec

Post by Jimmieec »

Both holes are the same size, can I move the lock to fit into the new undertray?
Kurt999

Post by Kurt999 »

Re the Datatool alarm, if it's not too late, put it in service mode before removing the battery. Saves any problems with the alarm going off when you disconnect it, and spiking it when you reconnect the battery.

Disarm the alarm, turn ignition key on but dont start engine. press and hold down the LEFT button on the remote until the alarm pips. Thats it. The alarm will pip every 30 seconds to warn you that the bike is unprotected, but the internal battery will run flat fairly quickly. If the alarm pips more than once every 30 seconds, it's telling you which alarm circuit last caused a full reaction eg motion sensor, ignition tamper etc. To clear this disarm the alarm as normal, then go back through the process of activating service mode.

Hope this helps

Kurt
Insurance: Bennetts CH24823B Exp 21/07/17
Mot Exp: 22/05/2017
Tax Exp: TBA
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Jimmieec wrote:Both holes are the same size, can I move the lock to fit into the new undertray?
Yeah but make sure that the seat lock fits in & you can hold it in place with the clip correctly, It may not hold in correctly if the material of the new white under-tray is thinner. If you can then cut the inner black hole bigger to line up the two holes. If it doesn't fit in properly & you have already cut the inner black hole bigger you have just screwed it up & will need another under-tray...

Measure twice & cut once & all that...