Bike ideas

General Bike chat
Miztaziggy

Bike ideas

Post by Miztaziggy »

So after the agony that was a bad back on a GSXR for 150 miles on Sunday, I have decided to get a second bike for comfort / touring / Op Storm trips.

Criteria:

- Has to be relatively quick, at least enough to keep up with Alistair on the Storm runs (and that takes some doing on the GSXR1000 believe me).
- Would quite like a twin just for the comfort of the torque / lack of gear changing, but a triple or 4 cylinder would be OK with enough power.
- Has to be comfortable, maybe even upright if possible. Something like a BMW 1200 GS or Ady's 800, however it can't be a BMW, I don't want to join the Panzer brigade just yet :D
- Budget of £3000 would be OK, up to £5k at a push but would have to be pretty special.

Ideas so far:
- I have looked at a Yamaha FZ6 (the totally unfaired sort) and quite like the look. Not sure they're going to be powerful enough.
- ZX12R will be fast enough but not sure it'll be that much more comfortable than the GSXR
- VFR same as above on the comfort
- Firestorm with flat bars - ideal but there don't seem to be many about and I just can't be bothered to do the mod myself
- Honda CBF 1000 seems pretty good, not sure on the comfort
Virt

Re: Bike ideas

Post by Virt »

Aprilia Futura's are supposed to be pretty good??
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

there should be a good list of options without having to do BMW or CBF

Z1000sx or whatever the one with the fairing is called
KTM 990SMT
Ape Tuno
Triumph tiger [the newer one with 1090 engine]
Ducati Multistrade [mk1 if you cant afford the mk2]
Suzuki Vstrom :sick:
varedero
Get MacV2 to put flat bars on one of his then sell it
Jamie, did you do the conversion then go back to clip-ons? sell Chris your bits including the cut faring.. job done
AMcQ
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

buy virts storm, fit flat bars and/or give to ady/lloyd/al to fettle with over the winter. sorted!
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Virt

Post by Virt »

grumpyfrog wrote:buy virts storm, fit flat bars and/or give to ady/lloyd/al to fettle with over the winter. sorted!
:lol: I think Lloyd has seen enough of my bike over the past 10 months :D

You'll have a decent amount of your budget left for the flat-bars though :thumbup:
Last edited by Virt on Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep buy virts and fit a top yoke kit simples an afternoon works and you'll have a good looked after bike
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Or a tuono, does everything you want it to, well I havnt tried keeping up with Al but I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon on any bike :lol:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I keep up with al just fine on the storm (unless it's wet)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i'd also go down the storm route, high bars, get a comfy seat and and some luggage for well under 3k, even better if you can wait another month or so, prices being seasonal.
late model storms go for between 1750 to 2500, play your cards right and you could be left with a grand to spend on making it a bit special.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

Yamaha FZ1 fazer. £4000 should get you a nice one, there's plenty out there so don't go for a wintered bike, you don't need to. early ones from 06 had a bit of jerky fueling but this is easily fixed for a couple of hundred quid with an Ivans FCE, 08 on were sorted, 2010 on fuelled even better. they're really good bikes, 140bhp upright riding position, useful half fairing, you can ride them proper fast or cruise along, they do it all well, an end can works well with no other mods, power commander makes them even better. possibly the best road bike I've owned.

Or alternatively as said above a storm with the bar conversion already done, I'm sure I saw one on ebay like that last week ?.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
budd

Post by budd »

Tuono or a Super Duke would be my choice, I think I'll be changing the Storm for next year, I'd love a RC8 but probably can't afford one :( so it may have to be a RSV, I quite like this one I've found on flaebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aprilia-RSV-M ... 1e8fb3f1dd
, lots of carbon, Ohlins (forks, shock, S/damper etc) fancy mag wheels, chipped, TN can etc etc, it was even on Supercorsas price ?? offers around £2.350 a lot of bike for the money unfortunately the missus put the brakes on any potential purchase apparently I must sell the Storm first :( :( :(
Last edited by budd on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Virt wrote:Aprilia Futura's are supposed to be pretty good??

yep they are a but a bugger to get some bits!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

bigtwinthing wrote:
Virt wrote:Aprilia Futura's are supposed to be pretty good??

yep they are a but a bugger to get some bits!!!
06 Fz1,s are going for 3k get a power commander on it for the fuelling. They certainly shift, and are really comfy.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
dkt1376

Post by dkt1376 »

zx12r is a awsome sub 3k bike, had one got points and sold it 8O
would have another one.
a landrover d2 and a ktm, i had to have a honda to restore relability in my life.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Personally I would get your list sorted out, then try and sit on those bikes, the problem is a lot of these bikes now try to be naked sports bikes and the sitting position is sporty rather than upright, Hornets are pretty good for upright position, where as my X 11 handlebars are more sporty, same as the BMW R1100S I have its more forward than upright.

Personally thinking about it, for the money I would go for a 600 or 900 Hornet, Bandit 650 or 1250 or even a Z 1000, after years of bad experience with Yamaha's I wouldn't buy one, but that's me.