2014 Yamaha R1

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

2014 Yamaha R1

Post by Jamoi »

Hey chaps, anyone here ridden the latest generation of R1?

What did you think? :beer:
Jamie :wave:
lloydie

Re: 2014 Yamaha R1

Post by lloydie »

No not yet
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Not ridden one but they do sound nice, like a v4. Have you seen the press release for next years bike? 230bhp!!!! 8O
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Hi Jamie, only the first years cross plane crank job (09 i think) fast as feck, feels like a twin below 5000rpm then smooths out. No power band just pulls and pulls. Too fast for me, old, blind and shat myself. Mode changes only on a closed throttle, but ok as you just close and then flick and give it some. They sound so different from an IL4 until that 5000 bit. My made has a Gixer 1000 and dint like the lumpy??? low down bit at first. However he wont even rode my storm. Says it feels like it gonna blow up, just revving it from a standstill!!!

I reckon knowing you, if you ride one, you will buy one.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Too sporty for this old timer :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

Ridden an 09, in A mode the throttle is like a light switch which equals jerky fueling, in B mode it's better. they vibrate a lot at lower revs, pretty horrible really, from the riders seat back it all looks far too cluttered. I think there's other options that are far better. GSXR1000 better all round road bike and there should be an all new one for next year which should get back to the top of the pile, blade/zx10/s1000 all better bikes imo.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Don't do it Jamie, don't do it :Cry1:

You'll be riding in shorts and t-shirt next 8O Go for something less "chavy" like a RC8 or a Duc :thumbup:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Kev L wrote:Not ridden one but they do sound nice, like a v4. Have you seen the press release for next years bike? 230bhp!!!! 8O
The sound grabbed my attention, now I'm listening! Yes I did have a read of the spotted test mule details, hopefully it will drive the price of the 2014 bike down a bit.
bigtwinthing wrote:Hi Jamie, only the first years cross plane crank job (09 i think) fast as feck, feels like a twin below 5000rpm then smooths out. No power band just pulls and pulls.

I reckon knowing you, if you ride one, you will buy one.
The "twin" characteristic is very appealing :thumbup: you must know me, my will power is minimal!
popkat wrote:Ridden an 09, in A mode the throttle is like a light switch which equals jerky fueling, in B mode it's better. they vibrate a lot at lower revs, pretty horrible really, from the riders seat back it all looks far too cluttered. I think there's other options that are far better. GSXR1000 better all round road bike and there should be an all new one for next year which should get back to the top of the pile, blade/zx10/s1000 all better bikes imo.
I agree about the rear end, those standard cans are ridiculous, but a nice pair of black Akrapovics tidy it up.

I can appreciate there are better performing bikes on the market, but the R1 sounded like quite a decent road bike as opposed to a track focused precision tool, my head leans towards the blade over the other il4's but I just don't think there's enough character to keep it interesting.

I don't know why but I've never been a fan of GSXR's, but then each to their own... I won't ask what you think of the KTM RC8r again...! :lol:

Thanks for your thoughts guys, test ride booking is imminent.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Ckennedy wrote:Don't do it Jamie, don't do it :Cry1:

You'll be riding in shorts and t-shirt next 8O Go for something less "chavy" like a RC8 or a Duc :thumbup:
The storm isn't going anywhere by the way! I'm still as in love with it as the day I test rode it.

The RC8r & Duc's seem to need more frequent major services :(

I still think the RC8r would suit me best of all, but trying to think of practicality.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Jamoi wrote:
I still think the RC8r would suit me best of all, but trying to think of practicality.

They shouldn't really be too bad for it? Everything relating to riding position on them is changeable
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Go for a MV F4
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I really want a modern sports bike, but not particularly a regular il4.

Have you seen this 675 triple?? Wow looks nice: Image

Top 5 for me:

Rc8r

Rsv4

R1 crossplane

899 Panigale

Maybe a Blade... depending on midrange grunt.

Mmmmm.... :erection:

gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

A guy here has an RC8 and it is a nice bike but he has found a few issues with how bad they can be... said it is a right handful until you get a good few things sorted on it such as throttle tubes, gearing and the fueling. I had a go and it is ridiculously fast and seems to be a lot more track focused than road going from my quick go. He did say it is quite a tiring bike to ride unless you are going fast and he means fast and then it comes into its own.

When he comes back from his holiday I'll ask him what he has had to do to make it a lot more rideable as he puts it... if it helps you with any decisions?
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Thanks Gl_s_r, yes that would be great to see what he has done to his.

I've got a while to research as I'm planning to buy in Jan/Feb, it seems a lot of the new bikes have harsh fueling, I wonder if that is down to meeting emissions laws?

From what I have read, the R1 is a good solid road bike, which is what I'm after really, rather than topping the stats charts!

As much as I love my Storm & will do for many years to come, it would cost a lot of money to turn it into something it's not.

I'm after a bit more fizz, ok well a lot more fizz would be nice :lol:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

You don't have a bike like what your thinking of for practicality. There for fun blasts and looking a bit ponsey :lol: