Should I swap my 1200 Bandit for a Firestorm?

General Bike chat
pete wood

Should I swap my 1200 Bandit for a Firestorm?

Post by pete wood »

Hi Folks,
I'm new to this forum. Am considering trading my Bandit n1200 for a Firestorm. Always fancied a big twin and have ridden the VTR before - liked it a lot. Problems - head got buffeted a lot by standard screen. Fuel consumption/limited tank range (a bit worse than my Bandit?). Pillion seat & pegs are rubbish (but no worse than the Bandit?). Good points - lovely sound and wonderful power delivery.

Anyone out there who has ridden both? What's the VTR like for home servicing? Are they really that bad on fuel? Can you get a bigger tank for them? Is the suspension as mushy as all the bike mags say? Will my wrists/arms/back ache after half-an-hour?

I just fancy a change and although the Bandit has an awesome motor, its just 'another' Jap four-cylinder and a bit lacking in character.

Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

CHEERS

PETE WOOD - SHEFFORD - BEDS.
Am considering trading my 1200 Bandit for a Firestorm. Looking for help and advice about the big twin.
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Re: Should I swap my 1200 Bandit for a Firestorm?

Post by firestorm_al »

pete wood wrote:Hi Folks,
I'm new to this forum. Am considering trading my Bandit n1200 for a Firestorm. Always fancied a big twin and have ridden the VTR before - liked it a lot. Problems - head got buffeted a lot by standard screen.
I'm 6ft and didn't really have a problem with the screen. But having said that I'm not a big fan of double bubble screens and a wee bit of buffeting keeps the speeds down on the straights.

pete wood wrote:Fuel consumption/limited tank range (a bit worse than my Bandit?).
Fuel consumption shouldn't be too far off the Bandit12. Pre 2001 model VTR's have a 16 litre tank and that went up to 19 after. Don't expect to get much over 100 miles on the old one with standard gearing.

pete wood wrote:Pillion seat & pegs are rubbish (but no worse than the Bandit?).
Never had any complaints from pillions and found it comfortable myself on the couple of times I tried but a grab rail or a pillion pall belt is a must.

pete wood wrote:Good points - lovely sound and wonderful power delivery.
can't argue with that.
pete wood wrote:Anyone out there who has ridden both?
I had a Bandit 6 before the VTR and have just traded the VTR in for another Bandit 6 so I'm halfway there to answering your questions. Went back to the Bandit to reduce my running costs and because my 97 VTR cost me more that I got for it in repairs and parts last year.

But don't get me wring though, the VTR is a great bike but I've had a falling out with Honda over it. They, as far as I have seen so far, have no interest in customer relations after you have bought a vehicle from them. I've written to them several times about my VTR but they have not even had the decency or good manners to acknowledge even receiving any of them never mind even reading them!

pete wood wrote:What's the VTR like for home servicing?
The biggest problem is suspending the thing while working on it. In particular working on the rear end of the bike. The swing arm is suspended off the engine and there's no centre stand. John Collier form the e-mail list may be able to fabricate you one that pins the engine mount above the wsing arm mount allowing you to get the swing arm off.

The two engine problems to be aware off are cam chain tensioner problems and leaky water pump seals ( brown watery like fluid leaking from the right hand engine cover ).

Setting the valve clearences can take a while because you have to whip the cams off to put the shims under the buckets ( although the master mechanic Del will probably be able to do it in about 2 minutes with his eyes closed. )
pete wood wrote:Are they really that bad on fuel?
see above

pete wood wrote:Can you get a bigger tank for them?
get a 2001 model
pete wood wrote:Is the suspension as mushy as all the bike mags say?
the 2001 model had revised dampening and is supposed to be far better than the earlier ones. Revolution UK will re-spring and re-valve your forks for £200.

pete wood wrote:Will my wrists/arms/back ache after half-an-hour?
Do some situps and you shouldn't have a problem. That seems to be the key for most bikes including the Bandit.

pete wood wrote:I just fancy a change and although the Bandit has an awesome motor, its just 'another' Jap four-cylinder and a bit lacking in character.

Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

CHEERS

PETE WOOD - SHEFFORD - BEDS.
Alan.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

Firestorm_al who is actually the Dalai Lama - Think about it, you never see them in the same place at the same time do yo eh? :lol:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

My secret is out! 8)
buzz

Post by buzz »

rode both bikes
got a storm , hav'nt got a bandit
firestorm anyday

FIRESTORM FIRESTORM I LOVE MI FIRESTORM

Buzz
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

owned both, prefer and kept the storm but agree with everything above
elmer fud

eyup Pete

Post by elmer fud »

If you recognise the name, yes it's the same Elmer Fud that used to be a member of bandit & sv ownwers club.

I had a bandit 6 a few years ago and got bored with it quite quickly, bloody hard work with all the high revs and frantic gear changing.
I was given rides on a B12 (tuned 133rw bhp) which was nice but was a bit mild considering the power, a VTR (98 model with microns) and a SV 650.

At the time I used my bike for daily commutes of about 37miles, so I went for the SV and enjoyed every min of it, confidence inspiring and no complaints from our peg.
The bandit did low 30's mpg which is what I get from the VTR. The SV was the best compromise if the fuel consumption bothers you (45mpg).

Eventually I changed job and got a works vehicle, so this was my excuse to buy the bike that I really wanted in the first place, the VTR.

Going from a 4 to a twin really is deceptive, you think that you are just bumbling around (and it feels it) but quite often people will struggle to stay anywhere near you.
I would say go and test ride both, while the VTR is sooooo nice, the SV might have advantages that you can't ignore.
I love my twins!!!!
hth
Dave. :D
Take it to bits, put back together, nothing left in box...woohoo!
pete wood

STILL A BANDITBOY

Post by pete wood »

HI FOLKS,
Thanks for your replies. Am still undecided. Nearly did a deal with a bloke 'up North' but got cold feet (for reasons I shan't go into here). So, I 've still got the big B12, still love it, but still have itchy feet. Anyone from, say Birmingham downwards who would like to offer a swap? Your 'Storm or whatever, for my Bandit. Mine's a 98, R-reg. 25,000 miles. Totally standard. Metallic maroon. Baglux tank harness. Datatag and Datatool Evo3 alarm and immobiliser. New tyres. Taxed till April. Maintained by Banditmania in Lincoln. Worth about £3k on the Bandit Owners Club website. Local dealer has offered 2.6 against a new SV650.
Wha'dya reckon? Am I mad? Do you like the sound of mine? Wanna see see pics? - I can e-mail if you're really interested. Would consider a VFR or BMW of similar value.

CHEERS

PETE WOOD
Am considering trading my 1200 Bandit for a Firestorm. Looking for help and advice about the big twin.