Why's it doing that

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pstormer

Why's it doing that

Post by pstormer »

Hi all. Just noticed that my trip meter has started to reset itself every time i turn the ignition off. I have had the clocks off to respray the fairing frame/hanger. Obviously I'll start here but has anyone come across this before. All help much appreciated
Paul
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Why's it doing that

Post by Pete.L »

Bad battery or bad battery connection would be my guess

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Take all the little earth wires off the back of the clocks and clean them up. They rust up when exposed to the air, my fairing was off for a couple of weeks and my tacho stopped working, they were all rusty!
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

While I agree it probably is a bad connection, I would also check the charging rate at the battery terminals with a multi-meter. You should be getting between 13.5 and 15.5 volts with the engine running,

Chris.
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

sirch345 wrote:While I agree it probably is a bad connection, I would also check the charging rate at the battery terminals with a multi-meter. You should be getting between 13.5 and 15.5 volts with the engine running,

Chris.
Yes, but knowing how much of a hard time the battery gets starting a storm, if it wasn't charging I reckon it wouldn't start either.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mattycoops43 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:While I agree it probably is a bad connection, I would also check the charging rate at the battery terminals with a multi-meter. You should be getting between 13.5 and 15.5 volts with the engine running,

Chris.
Yes, but knowing how much of a hard time the battery gets starting a storm, if it wasn't charging I reckon it wouldn't start either.
I can see your way of thinking, but IMHO It's still worth checking how much it's charging to rule that out. If you have a multi-meter it only takes a couple of minutes.
The rectifier not only converts AC current into DC current, it also regulates the voltage. If it were over charging the bike would still start, well up until the battery was eventually boiled dry that is,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Definitely worth double checking the R/R as they can cause all sorts of electrical oddities, especially the earth as it shares the same circuit as the rest of the electrics which feeds back through to other components hence clocks playing up. But I'm with Matty on this one especially as the clocks have been removed and front bracket has been sprayed. Double check the connections up front. And in case you have sprayed the rear subframe also, then make sure that it earth's to the rest of the bike where it bolts on and the R/R earth where it bolts on.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
pstormer

Post by pstormer »

Thanks for all the advice. Will check all the things mentioned at the weekend and let ya's know how i get on :crazy:
cheers
Paul
Paul