Givi Rack - Cowl Trim Needed?

General Bike chat
StewartR

Givi Rack - Cowl Trim Needed?

Post by StewartR »

Evening!

Just fitted a Givi monorack and it looks like I need to trim the inside of the rear cowl to clear the hangers which are U bolted to the subframe. Right now I can't replace the cowl screws that go in from the underside. Is this standard? Any tips on making the cut? Seems right out of the way but would still like to do the best job I can.
Last edited by StewartR on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
chric

Re: Givi Rack - Cowl Trim Needed?

Post by chric »

Picture it no need to cut cowl then ill tell you what to do
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

Hi, here is requested piccy. Can't see how to avoid surgery (or leaving the bottom cowl fasters off) but open to any suggestions.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Could you use some spacers so the Givi rails don't interfere with the seat cowl. :think:
Right now I can't replace the cowl screws that go in from the underside. Is this standard?
Are you referring to the tabs on the underside of the tail fairing that meet the undertray here. If so they are not screws but plastic trim clips. Sorry I don't know the exact size required.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

cybercarl wrote:Could you use some spacers so the Givi rails don't interfere with the seat cowl. :think:
No, the inside surface of the givi hanger bears directly on the outer face of the subframe so has nowhere to go.
Are you referring to the tabs on the underside of the tail fairing that meet the undertray here. If so they are not screws but plastic trim clips. Sorry I don't know the exact size required.
I have the trim clips - the problem is aligning the holes in the tail fairing with those in the undertray to get them back in. I think I have to take a couple of mm off the tail fairing to get them aligned - just surprised that a bike specific mount kit needs this. Really I just need some pointers on how's best to make the seemingly unavoidable cut as neat as possble. Dremel? File? Machete?

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Don't worry about fitting the black placky trim fings as the rear cowl won't fall off without them.

If you really want em then can you add some washers to act as spacers to create a gap between the subframe and rack.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Dremmel would be my first choice followed by some scratch to tidy things up maybe. Machete would be my last choice when I get pissed off with it. :lol:

chric

Post by chric »

IM LOST HAVE YOU GOT A AFTERMARKET UNDERTRAY ON OR SOMET.
ITS DEAD SIMPLE IF NOT JUST TAKE REAR FAIRING OFF TRIM BIT OF PLASTIC ON THE UNDERTAY AND SCREW IT UP
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

HE DON'T WANT TO SCREW IT UP,
SORRY CAN'T YOU HEAR ME ,
I SAID HE DON'T WANT TO SCREW IT UP

:shh: That's why he's asking for help.

I CAN SEE THE PUB FROM HERE :beer:

:lol: :lol:

chric

Post by chric »

woops left capslock on

Im lost dont take much ill let your lot see to the problem :problem: :think:
yellabell

Post by yellabell »

Ayup - this post goes back years but did a definite answer ever surface? I have a GIVI MONORACK which I'm about to fit. It came off another VTR - I believe its model no. 251f so it should fit directly. What concerns me is that the OP of this thread was talking about cutting away a small portion of the undertray. Do I have to do this? Any pics or assembly instructions would be ace as the rack I bought, although complete with all fixings, didn't come with fitting instructions.
Cheers everyone - Mick
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

If it's just the botom trim clips that can't be fitted... Then leave them out. Plenty of Storms out there with the tabs broken off makes no differnce...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...