Wire wheels

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
kenmoore

Wire wheels

Post by kenmoore »

Has anyone ever fitted spoked alloy rims to a storm like on early Dukes or the later 1000s ?

Wonder what they would look like.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
StewartR

Re: Wire wheels

Post by StewartR »

Spookily enough I was catching up with the guy who does my MoTs yesterday and he pointed out his storm on a framed cover of Streetfighters.
*Edited to embiggen pics*
Wonky Donkey

Post by Wonky Donkey »

I love things like that. No wait, that's not right - I love that people do their own thing, regardless of whether anyone else likes it or not. Clever. Good on him! :clap: :clap:

Personally, don't like the harley-style seat unit, but it's not mine, so who cares! :Argue:

MICK..
'97 VTR1000F Euro import
2003 SV650S cafe fighter
94/97 Ducati 750SS
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

I think Husaberg have some wheels that are a straight swop
There was a thread on here last year
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

can spoked wheels take the large lateral forces during corning at high lean angles? i know super-motos have them but those things weigh next to nothing compared to the hawk or any other street bike. plus youve got to make sure they are always true'd.
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Iirc, Tony Mon knows all about these

Let's see if he will provide some answers
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

And you guys think white wheels are a bitch to take care of.......
Been through my days of spoked wheels....never again

:beer:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I wouldn't be worried about the strength of them, personally.
Jamie :wave:
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Jscobey wrote:can spoked wheels take the large lateral forces during corning at high lean angles? i know super-motos have them but those things weigh next to nothing compared to the hawk or any other street bike. plus youve got to make sure they are always true'd.
They're strong enough for 3 ton cars.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i want my butt end like that, just the number plate and light behind the seat, aim gonna hack it off sometime soon for sure. i do like the rear storm lights.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
popkat

Post by popkat »

Jscobey wrote:can spoked wheels take the large lateral forces during corning at high lean angles? i know super-motos have them but those things weigh next to nothing compared to the hawk or any other street bike. plus youve got to make sure they are always true'd.

My race Katana (Not the fake American model, the real thing !) has spoked wheels, it's longer and weighs more than a storm with somewhere near the same power.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Flatline wrote:Iirc, Tony Mon knows all about these

Let's see if he will provide some answers
Not so. but I worked as a wheelbuilder for Hagon for six months, so that I could learn how to do it.
The spoking is the easy (easier) bit, the difficulty is finding rims that will fit the SA and forks. You'll almost certainly have to have spacers made up, go for the widest hub width you can and the smallest spacers, if possible, rather than a skinny hub and wide spacers. The weight would be less with a skinny one, but the spoking centres would be wider apart on the wider one, so able to carry higher side loads.

And spoking 6 gauge E-type wheels is a real bitch.....never again. That's up there on my list of things never to do again with hammer drilling above my head for days fitting a large commercial suspended ceiling, working on Reliant Supervan bodywork, crushing and sniffing Pro-Plus and going to Leeds.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

All jokes aside Tony!

Can it be done, and if you were to do it, how would yo go about it?(I'm sure there would be posts on here, but would rather hear it from the "Horses" mouth)

I'm curious, I just like the look of bikes with spoked wheels.

Could be that I am harking back to the old days of spoked wheels ala RD350, not the water cooled one but the air cooled one of the early to mid q70's.

Those things ere lethal and gave many an exotic piece of machinery a hurry up.

Just liked the spoked wheels on bikes and think that the Storm would look great with spokes on, sort of like the 1000 of late with the Ochre Orange body work .

Your posts about hub width we're informative , and I couldn't help but get to thinking that a Super Motard of some description would be sporting a set of wheels that would fit the Storm!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

if your serious speak to talon or central wheels and they will be able to come up with the hubs you need.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

fabiostar wrote:if your serious speak to talon or central wheels and they will be able to come up with the hubs you need.

or get stewartR to ask his mot guy
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.