Front Head Removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
darkember

Front Head Removal

Post by darkember »

This bike is :Gun1: :Mad3: :Mad3: :Mad3: :Mad3: me off.

The exhaust stud has now sheared off flush and that was after been as gentle & deliberate as feasible with loads of soaking and the use of a stud impact removal tool.

Now the head has to be removed. Please could someone chronologically list the procedure and what peripherals need to be removed to gain access to remove the head. Should I set the front pot to TDC prior to removing the cams.

Many thanks Dark
Jamoi

Re: Front Head Removal

Post by Jamoi »

Bugger :(
Jamie :wave:
lloydie

Front Head Removal

Post by lloydie »

Yep set to tdc on the front cylinder .
Remove
Fairings
Radiators and drain the front cylinder it's a 10mm bolt by the exhaust port .
Remove Oil cooler from top bracket and give it a good clean around there .
Remove Cam cover and CCT .
Remove cams (don't drop the cam chain in the engine so tie it up to the guids .
Undo the two 10mm bolts next to the cam chain now in an opposing direction undo the 14mm head bolts .
Once they are all off tap and lift the head off be carful not to loose the dowels in the engine or on the floor .
Have fun
darkember

Post by darkember »

lloydie wrote:Yep set to tdc on the front cylinder .
Remove
Fairings
Radiators and drain the front cylinder it's a 10mm bolt by the exhaust port .
Remove Oil cooler from top bracket and give it a good clean around there .
Remove Cam cover and CCT .
Remove cams (don't drop the cam chain in the engine so tie it up to the guids .
Undo the two 10mm bolts next to the cam chain now in an opposing direction undo the 14mm head bolts .
Once they are all off tap and lift the head off be carful not to loose the dowels in the engine or on the floor .
Have fun
You say to remove the radiators that will mean draining them first, will they drain from the bolt below the exhaust port on the front cylinder, or is there a better place to drain the coolant from?? I presume I don't have to remove the carbs?? Also once the head is removed I am going to have to take it to an engineering shop would it be prudent to nip up the cams to hold in the buckets & shims in & replace the rocker cover?
Last edited by darkember on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ging500

Post by ging500 »

Bit of shitter!! I don't know about storms but on the sv I undid and remove the ducting but left the trottle cables!

I love the fact that the timeline make it sound sooo simple. I spent half hour getting the head off the dowells and that was me pulling the head through the forks and my dad gently tapping with a rubber malet.

A top tip would be to get something attached the exhaust outlet. Removing the head on mine was a tad easier as I still had the header attached and was able to use that to grab hold off!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Loosen the hose clip and remove the lowest hose on the rt radiator and drain into a container.

VTR1000F (Superhawk) Firestorm Service Manual PDF > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18025
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yes carbs off as they are fitted to the head . Thermostat too and air box .
Refit the cams after you have taken the head of so that the buckets don't fall out and refit the cam cover .
First time doing it take the day and take pictures so you know how to rebuild it when the time comes .
parkergb6

Post by parkergb6 »

If you were careful with a drill etc could you not drill and tap the stud out in situ after removing the headers?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

parkergb6 wrote:If you were careful with a drill etc could you not drill and tap the stud out in situ after removing the headers?
Nope, it's far too easy to snap the broken stud extractor in the stud.
Then you are in trouble.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Watty

Post by Watty »

If you have a mig welder get a large mild steel washer with the centre hole the same diameter as the snapped stud and weld the washer to the snapped stud. Then place a mild steel nut on top of that and weld through the centre of that. The heat from welding will also help release it. Never done it on a storm but this has never failed for me on numerous snaped studs :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
macdee

Post by macdee »

Watty wrote:If you have a mig welder get a large mild steel washer with the centre hole the same diameter as the snapped stud and weld the washer to the snapped stud. Then place a mild steel nut on top of that and weld through the centre of that. The heat from welding will also help release it. Never done it on a storm but this has never failed for me on numerous snaped studs :thumbup:
+1 what have you got to lose
told you not to but oh no you knew better
darkember

Post by darkember »

Wicky wrote:Loosen the hose clip and remove the lowest hose on the rt radiator and drain into a container.

VTR1000F (Superhawk) Firestorm Service Manual PDF > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18025
Right hand rad meaning the rad on the same side as the water pump?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

macdee wrote:
Watty wrote:If you have a mig welder get a large mild steel washer with the centre hole the same diameter as the snapped stud and weld the washer to the snapped stud. Then place a mild steel nut on top of that and weld through the centre of that. The heat from welding will also help release it. Never done it on a storm but this has never failed for me on numerous snaped studs :thumbup:
+1 what have you got to lose
A perfectly good washer?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Either just drain the system . I find it easier to do the one on the left (chain Side) as when it's on the side stAnd it helps it empty .
Watty

Post by Watty »

And a nut tony :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!