Gas/Electric - Who Do You Use?

General Biker Banter
Mav617

Gas/Electric - Who Do You Use?

Post by Mav617 »

Been with SSE for two years, originally because they were the only UK owned supplier I could get. Important to me that infrastructure important to the country is not owned by the French (British Gas) or the Germans (E-On, NPower etc). Not wearing an 8% price rise though so switching to First:Utility. Who do you guys use?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
oorwullie43

Re: Gas/Electric - Who Do You Use?

Post by oorwullie43 »

Mav617 wrote:Been with SSE for two years, originally because they were the only UK owned supplier I could get. Important to me that infrastructure important to the country is not owned by the French (British Gas) or the Germans (E-On, NPower etc). Not wearing an 8% price rise though so switching to First:Utility. Who do you guys use?

Aye, I,m with the same lot, got the letter in yesterday about the rise! Don,t think it makes any difference what lot your with, they will all cost the same! I've tried a few different companies over the years and the difference is minimal! :(
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Utility Warehouse seem to do a good deal

And you can get various other things to bolt on
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

IMHO Utility Warehouse is a con and you won't get the cheapest deals.

Pay by DDM, get a dual fuel account. I have saved another £300 this year by doing that. I saved £300 by switching my car insurance too, so you just have to keep looking and switching. PIA, but that's life. 85% of your energy bills are outside the control of the supplier, so don't expect one to be much cheaper.

Not bothered who owns them - we all ride Hondas after all, not Triumphs!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stratman wrote:IMHO Utility Warehouse is a con and you won't get the cheapest deals.

Pay by DDM, get a dual fuel account.

Not bothered who owns them - we all ride Hondas after all, not Triumphs!
I'm with British Gas for both electricity and gas, and like Stratman, take advantage of the dual fuel discount.

IMHO you are fighting a loosing battle looking for the cheapest deal. I know all the experts suggest shopping around will save you money, personally I think you're wasting your time. What is the best deal today, most likely won't be tomorrow! It's a bit like chasing a ball bearing around the botttom of a dustbin, you'll never win. Plus when one puts the price up the rest follow suit normally.

Once a company is privatised I'm sorry to so it's all about profit for the share holders, everything else comes second to that. So if you're rich you'll get richer,

Chris.
suburban guerrlla

Post by suburban guerrlla »

although this was made in the 1990s, it is absolutely relevant to today. it's about privatisation of the post office....

Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

suburban guerrlla wrote:although this was made in the 1990s, it is absolutely relevant to today. it's about privatisation of the post office....

True. Infrastructure such as power, transport and communications should be kept either owned by the government or private companies acting on their/our behalf imo
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

True. Infrastructure such as power, transport and communications should be kept either owned by the government or private companies acting on their/our behalf imo
Totally agree. It's the worst thing that happened to this country selling everything off. It seems to me that whichever government is in power at the time see selling things like the Post office, NHS or anything else that is left as a quick fix to get some cash. Maybe they should think about selling the crown jewels instead. Or saving money elsewhere rather than waste it on crap.

Mac for PM......Mac for PM :Dancing1: His manifesto is looking better than any other options we have right now.

With regards to the energy companies there is no loyalty with any of them so you either waste time and energy juggling things around all the time or ride the roller-coaster. A bit like insurance really.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Switching supplier is good for all, if more people did it we would all get more benefits, the more complacent the customer base is the less incentive for suppliers to compete. However, for energy it's very difficult to know what is a good deal and when company 'x' last changed pricing - and this encourages complacency due to a large CBA factor. Free market - like wombles it is.
darkember

Post by darkember »

cybercarl wrote:
Totally agree. It's the worst thing that happened to this country selling everything off. It seems to me that whichever government is in power at the time see selling things like the Post office, NHS or anything else that is left as a quick fix to get some cash. Maybe they should think about selling the crown jewels instead. Or saving money elsewhere rather than waste it on crap.

Mac for PM......Mac for PM :Dancing1: His manifesto is looking better than any other options we have right now.

With regards to the energy companies there is no loyalty with any of them so you either waste time and energy juggling things around all the time or ride the roller-coaster. A bit like insurance really.

(:-}

The conservatives keep selling of our services & labour sold all the gold reserves when prices were at their lowest. Don't we have a bunch of halfwits running this country.
simon t

Post by simon t »

Living in France we are, of course, supplied by EDF, which is a monopoly. Yet over the last five years our prices have only gone up with inflation - which means that in that time they've gone up about the same as you poor sods are being hit for an annual increase.

So all that b*llox about competition driving down prices is just that - b*llox. Totally agree about selling off state assets - a complete rip-off.
fireballxl5

Post by fireballxl5 »

I am with the thieving bugger's (nPower) Oh sorry that's all of them !!!