when to put the bike away

General Biker Banter
reggy5

when to put the bike away

Post by reggy5 »

ok whos riding it all through winter? and when are folk putting them in to hibination for a good few months. the weathers on our side at the minute :D
vtr 1000 firestorm
Virt

Re: when to put the bike away

Post by Virt »

All weather riding :) bikes are made to be ridden, and they're Honda's

Sent from my GT-I9505, written in ASCII using an even parity bit and spoofing the IP of the White House
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

I ride all year round (except snow and ice). if I go more than a few weeks without a blast on the bike I get withdrawl lol. never used a battery optimate, I dont think it does any vehicle any good not using it for months.
Cover the bike in loads of anti-corrosion spray, get some heated gloves etc. Less traffic and flys.
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

End of September for me this year :( but normally only when the salt is on the roads
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

I go with the flow, if it's dry I'll still use the bike but the roads are covered in salt it stays in the garage, I used ride all year round bit them days are gone I don't think my knees could take it :thumbdown:
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Man I do feel for you guys......

Though this is why I put up with the CA BS..... right now the day time temps are around 27 to 32 or so and normally 15 -16 at night. :angel:

The real heat just ended as last month it was in more like 38-43 inland so then you ride on the coast :thumbup: though it only cooling down to 30 at night kind of sucks.... :lol: :lol:

The "rainy" months here are between Feb and the first part of May. Even then it is just rain but the drivers around here usually have a bit of an issue with with roads..... :eek2

Even if you don't ride in the rain, the rainy months still have sunny days

So it does take a bit of extra caution but year round riding is easy here. :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

I envy you,our weather is rubbish typically we get two weeks of summer the other fifty weeks are either rain, wind, snow, ice, fog or occasionally all of them at the same time :lol: keep living the dream :thumbup:
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

At least it's hot rain. Saves on showers. :lol:

I ride all year round even snow and ice if I can get onto the main roads where the salt is or cars have turned it to slush. I'd rather not, but it's bike or walk.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

cybercarl wrote:
At least it's hot rain. Saves on showers. :lol:

I ride all year round even snow and ice if I can get onto the main roads where the salt is or cars have turned it to slush. I'd rather not, but it's bike or walk.

(:-})
I used to be the same but I wimped out when I got the SP (wanted to keep it nice) and bought my mothers old car off her. My first one, it only took me to reach my forties untill I saw the light :lol:
I Still keep the SP taxed and insured through the winter. I just used it on the bright clear days and then wash the salt off before it chorodes anything.
8541Hawk wrote:right now the day time temps are around 27 to 32 or so and normally 15 -16 at night.
Right now we are having a mini heatwave and the daytime temps are around 20 :lol: :lol: :lol:
All the leaves are just starting to drop and pretty soon they will be all over the roads and making cornering a nighmare!

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

Mine is now away for the winter not because I'm afraid of the weather it's so I can get on with rebuilding my tzr I haven't touched it since I got my storm and think its been a little neglected.
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Diabolus wrote:I ride all year round (except snow and ice). if I go more than a few weeks without a blast on the bike I get withdrawl lol. never used a battery optimate, I dont think it does any vehicle any good not using it for months.
Cover the bike in loads of anti-corrosion spray,( tell me more? :think: anti corrosion do you use/does it work :idea: get some heated gloves etc. Less traffic and flys.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

I'm with Pete on this one, on my previous 2 Hondas ( A suzuki previous to that) I used to ride in the winter months, hell I even went out on my old VTR one wintry day because my cabin fever was at pitch temp! :roll: Main roads were ok, but side road was like sheer glass :eek2 :eek2 When you are raised in the NE you learn to drive to winter months/conditions.

We have 3 cars, 2 on the road so now I've got past my 'got to be out no matter what' stage/age I was going through, I now prefer to keep this keep bike in tip top in tip top condition so after every ride, I wash and polish and Dave kindly puts them both in the garage. I just think unless you absolutely have no other option, why bother with getting cold, damp, miserable before you get anywhere and hacked off.

I just keep my bike taxed and insured for that very reason, plus I cba with the hassle of sorting insurance when I pay in oner in May.. Easier to just leave it in the garage, if we get a nice day, decent conditions...away we go :thumbup: Cos nothing worse than putting it off the road and we have a freaky week of great weather, you'd kick yourself then!
Each to their own .. :thumbup:
Last edited by Anotherbikerbabe on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
Virt

Post by Virt »

Anotherbikerbabe wrote:

We have 3 cars, 2 on the road ...

I just think unless you absolutely have no other option, why bother with getting cold, damp, miserable before you get anywhere and hacked off with bad drivers who cannot/do not know how to drive in wintry conditions and give yourself all that stress not to mention putting your bike through the mill just to 'ride' to work or wherever. I go everywhere in my car in colder months unless as Pete says, if we get a lovely dry sunny type day.
This is what annoys me about being young. I can insure a streetbike like the hornet for £600 tpft at 18, with 0 no claims. I can (hopefully) insure a VTR for £400 fc at 19, with 1 yr no claims.

However, stick me in a car like a Fiat Seicento (which has a smaller engine than the VTR, might I add). Which has but a fraction of the performance (because so many people take restrictors out and I really doubt the insurance company fully expect me to keep them in like I have) and it suddenly costs £2500, despite the fact it weighs 750kg and only has 55bhp. I'd love a car for Winter, but until insurance companies stop being pricks it's just not feasible :( I am not spending 30% of my salary on insurance for a car. :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Hairy biker wrote:I go with the flow, if it's dry I'll still use the bike but the roads are covered in salt it stays in the garage, I used ride all year round bit them days are gone I don't think my knees could take it :thumbdown:
thats me as well.

once it gets real shitty I will ride the off road bikes
AMcQ
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

road salt lurks on roads all year and is even more corrosive in summer when temperatures are higher!
I use scotoiler FS365.
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721