43 Tooth rear Sprocket

General Biker Banter
bigtwinthing

43 Tooth rear Sprocket

Post by bigtwinthing »

well fitted it today< gace the front sprocket cover and chain a damn good clean up and then went for a test, and WOW what a difference it made, yep probably lost a bit of top end but up through the gears it was just great. Tends to wheelie more, and at 4000 revs i was doing 70mph on standard but on the 43 tooth set up it was reading 75 mph, so reading a bit high but i can allow for that too.

On the hole very happy :biggrin
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
agentpineapple

Re: 43 Tooth rear Sprocket

Post by agentpineapple »

last year I ran -1 front and +1 rear, me likey very much... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I ran -1 on the front and +3 on the rear for a few months .
It turned it into a 5 speed as first gear was useless .
So I then refitted the 41 rear and used that for a year but first gear was still way to short .
I'm now back on standard gearing and I find it to be best around as you can use 1st and use 6th as a eco gear on the motorway :-)
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

lloydie wrote:I ran -1 on the front and +3 on the rear for a few months .
It turned it into a 5 speed as first gear was useless .
So I then refitted the 41 rear and used that for a year but first gear was still way to short .
I'm now back on standard gearing and I find it to be best around as you can use 1st and use 6th as a eco gear on the motorway :-)
i try not to use motorways, but i know what you mean, i am off to Silverstone on Sunday so will have a blast against my mates storm thats standard and see how they behave. I reknon mine will be quicker off the lights up to about 120 ish, well i hope so anyway!!! :biggrin
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

if you want better 0-60 lighten the flywheel :thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I'm kind of leery to comment on gearing changes due to some of the less than pleasant "discussions" that seem to follow them...... :roll:

Though this place is a bit different, so as some of you know I do have some "preferences" to how to gear this bike.

Going any lower than +2 on the rear (or -1 on the front) is a waste of time IMHO, if you want to know why I believe this, just ask and I will explain my position.

I have or did run a 43T rear for a couple of years and have now switched back to the stock gear ratios.

I changed back for a few reasons.

The main reason was that for my riding style, the longer wheel base works better for me by placing more weight on the front end.
The quicker turn in of the shorter wheel base was compensated for by raising the CG of the bike.
So in simple terms, the bike turns in just as quick but is more stable and less wheelie prone.

As for acceleration, my first question is always, Do you use WOT in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?
If so, lower gearing might work better for you.
If not, don't take this wrong, but it is much cheaper to just twist the throttle a little harder.
Keep the revs up past 7K where the power actually lives and she pulls real hard :wink:

With the minor engine mods I have on my bike, she will happily flip over backwards in 1st if you get hamfisted 8O

So IMHO if you want a little more grunt, get yourself a lighted flywheel and leave the gearing stock. Of course that is just me and YMMV.

I also saw the gearing commander site listed.
It is a good resource but just know that the "Top Speed" figures are approximately 10% faster than you would actually be traveling...... another topic we can discuss if you would like but I usually keep quiet about as it has caused a bit of a donnybrook in the past :angel:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

8541Hawk wrote:I'm kind of leery to comment on gearing changes due to some of the less than pleasant "discussions" that seem to follow them...... :roll:

Though this place is a bit different, so as some of you know I do have some "preferences" to how to gear this bike.

Going any lower than +2 on the rear (or -1 on the front) is a waste of time IMHO, if you want to know why I believe this, just ask and I will explain my position.

I have or did run a 43T rear for a couple of years and have now switched back to the stock gear ratios.

I changed back for a few reasons.

The main reason was that for my riding style, the longer wheel base works better for me by placing more weight on the front end.
The quicker turn in of the shorter wheel base was compensated for by raising the CG of the bike.
So in simple terms, the bike turns in just as quick but is more stable and less wheelie prone.

As for acceleration, my first question is always, Do you use WOT in 1st, 2nd and 3rd?
If so, lower gearing might work better for you.
If not, don't take this wrong, but it is much cheaper to just twist the throttle a little harder.
Keep the revs up past 7K where the power actually lives and she pulls real hard :wink:

With the minor engine mods I have on my bike, she will happily flip over backwards in 1st if you get hamfisted 8O

So IMHO if you want a little more grunt, get yourself a lighted flywheel and leave the gearing stock. Of course that is just me and YMMV.

I also saw the gearing commander site listed.
It is a good resource but just know that the "Top Speed" figures are approximately 10% faster than you would actually be traveling...... another topic we can discuss if you would like but I usually keep quiet about as it has caused a bit of a donnybrook in the past :angel:
Bloody hell you must be some rider if you can feel about 5mm longer on the wheelbase!!! and if your bike only makes power at 7000, i would take it back, lighening the flywheel will lose engine braking, which twins are meant to have. Are you sure you have not got a V Twin with 4 cylinders?

regards Paul.
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

bigtwinthing wrote:well fitted it today< gace the front sprocket cover and chain a damn good clean up and then went for a test, and WOW what a difference it made, yep probably lost a bit of top end but up through the gears it was just great. Tends to wheelie more, and at 4000 revs i was doing 70mph on standard but on the 43 tooth set up it was reading 75 mph, so reading a bit high but i can allow for that too.

On the hole very happy :biggrin
Yeah i need new chain and sprocket and fancy the 43t on the rear :thumbup: dont mind loosing the top end speed, the best fun is between 0mph and 120mph for me
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Must admit to being with Lloydie and Hawk on this

I ran an alternative front sproket and always wanted to change up another gear to 7th

Changed back and like the bike better

Same with stacks, changed to both the same, felt not different so changed back to standard and still a great bike
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I liked them both ways but for different reasons.
A +2 on the rear is a waste of time for two up riding, I couldn't overtake anything without the front wheel coming up and if you ever had a car put its foot down or you needed to get past and back in in a hurry the bike wouldn't accelerate it would just wave the front wheel at the sky 8O It was a hoot if you where on your own though :wink:
Where as std gearing is much more sensible for all round riding and slightly better on your wallet but not quite as much fun :P

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Pete.L wrote:I liked them both ways but for different reasons.
A +2 on the rear is a waste of time for two up riding, I couldn't overtake anything without the front wheel coming up and if you ever had a car put its foot down or you needed to get past and back in in a hurry the bike wouldn't accelerate it would just wave the front wheel at the sky 8O It was a hoot if you where on your own though :wink:
Where as std gearing is much more sensible for all round riding and slightly better on your wallet but not quite as much fun :P

Pete.l
wow i am inconsiderate, 2 up on a storm!!! thats the reason i bought it, i told my other half they dont have a seat for a pillion and quickly took the foot rests off!!! 2 teeth up on the back has worked a treat for my blast out of bends riding etc, and i can happily lose 10mph of the top end, The handle bar mod (all be it £90 has made a real difference too) the bike now for me is an absolute keeper and providing i never loose the "buzz" it offers i wont sell it. and thats whats owning a bike is all about. :biggrin
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My Mrs took one look at the back seat and said "No way"
:lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Virt

Post by Virt »

bigtwinthing wrote:
wow i am inconsiderate, 2 up on a storm!!! thats the reason i bought it, i told my other half they dont have a seat for a pillion and quickly took the foot rests off!!! 2 teeth up on the back has worked a treat for my blast out of bends riding etc, and i can happily lose 10mph of the top end, The handle bar mod (all be it £90 has made a real difference too) the bike now for me is an absolute keeper and providing i never loose the "buzz" it offers i wont sell it. and thats whats owning a bike is all about. :biggrin
I wouldn't want to two-up on the storm.. My bike, plus no one ever asks me for pillion because everyone thinks I'm a bad rider... I'm decent (i like to think) :lol:

That said, I don't think there are many people here who can see themselves selling their storms if there is another option. It's such a loved bike, I can only hope I feel the same about mine come November :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Yep the storms been great, i was lucky to get a totally unspoilt one with 3400 miles on with 1 owner, its changed a lot and the last owner wouldnt recognise it to be honest. I have mainly been a Yamaha man and have bikes for 37 years on the road and it my best bike for sheer fun i think. R1,s are too leant over and awkward after 100 miles, my KTM was the mutts nuts but so expensive to service and the brakes kept playing up.
The Storm has been an eyeopener for me and why i missed them earlier on in life is beyond me. I only bought the bike after selling my Fazer 1000 due to having Cancer, but after Southampton sorted me out, i bought it as they are so cheap to see if i still liked riding. It has helped my recovery no end.( and obviosly the love of a good women (and daughter) it wont be going thats for sure. up to 7200 miles this year and loved every mile.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

I guess I'm the odd one out going for longer than standard gearing... It keeps me from having to look sideways around the fuel tank as it sits on it's butt... With shorter gearing, it's downright ridiculous once you tweak the engine a bit... Wheelie in first, wheelie in second, wheelie in everything but sixth...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...