Tyre traction in this hot weather

General Bike chat

Tyre traction in this hot weather

Post by Image »

Noticed my rear tyre sliding a bit on tight corners on these hot days. I guess it's the tyres melting. I'm on Pirelli's. Anyone else noticed slippery traction in this hot weather?
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: Tyre traction in this hot weather

Post by Pete.L »

Good question. Mine stepped out on me last night going home but I just thought I had hit a bit of hot tar.
If anything my tyres and suspension have been working/feeling better than what they have in a long time. I'm lovin it :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Keith

Post by Keith »

I would say that its a real good chance that the tar was melting and the road shifting beneath you. B and C roads are bad for this. Almost had my bike on its side the other day as the stand felt like sinking into the road :eek2
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Well... Most likely you could benefit from checking tire pressure, as it's bound to heat the tire differently from sping/autumn to hot summer... but that's just a thought... Ie more air, less tire heat generated and less slipping, plus more miles...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I would say the same, check tyre pressures. While you're at it you could also check that the rear suspension is operating as it should (not siezed), plus wheel bearings and swingarm bearings for any excessive play.

Most probably due to melted road I agree,

Chris.

Post by Image »

Suspension ok. Not checked tyre pressure yet. I know the racing is a very different world but I've noticed them guys get traction slip on the rear when it's hot.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Image wrote:Suspension ok. Not checked tyre pressure yet. I know the racing is a very different world but I've noticed them guys get traction slip on the rear when it's hot.
Different world perhaps, but the physics the same... "low" pressure means you build more heat in the tire... And combined with hot tarmac, you can quite easily get a very greasy rear wheel in this kind of weather on a roadtire... Basically, you check the pressure at cold, and then take a short ride, and check again... And a quick look at the tire manufacturer tells you how much of a pressure rise you should have to not overheat the tire...

Most likely, you have set your pressure at some point in the early season, if you ever checked, perhaps just used recommended pressure... And that certainly isn't the right pressure at these temperatures...

Post by Image »

Does heat increase or decrease the tyre pressure?
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

The lower the cold pressure, the higher the end temperature becomes... And the heat generates a pressure increase... So, instead of just measuring the cold pressure and setting it to manufacturers "best guess" recommendation, you measure cold pressure, and hot pressure, and adjust your starting pressure so that you get a specific rise (usually 3-5 psi), which translates to the correct temp and pressure as the tire is used... Simple!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Image wrote:Does heat increase or decrease the tyre pressure?
it goes up as it gets warmer
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Image wrote:Suspension ok. Not checked tyre pressure yet.
It would be interesting to hear what they are :?:

Chris.
frudd28

Post by frudd28 »

tyre traction!!!!! locked front wheel under braking in a straight line on a49 in warrington earlier today,wife on back and not at such a high speed!!!
not that you need anythin to get you hot under the collar in this weather but it certainly made me sweat a bit lol
can only put it down to somethin on road surface cause for the other 175 mile covered today performed faultless :mrgreen:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Another possibility.
All the diesel, coolant and oil ,which drops on our roads every day, isn't getting washed away like it does when it rains more often.
I think we are all going to have to be doubly careful after we get a drop of the wet stuff too because we all know it will bring the oil and crap to the surface and make it completely treacherous for a bit.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote:Another possibility.
All the diesel, coolant and oil ,which drops on our roads every day, isn't getting washed away like it does when it rains more often.
I think we are all going to have to be doubly careful after we get a drop of the wet stuff too because we all know it will bring the oil and crap to the surface and make it completely treacherous for a bit.

Pete.l
A very good reminder there Pete :clap:

I came a cropper on slightly wet roads after a long dry spell many years ago, so take note one and all,

Chris.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

i had a belter last night got the chicken strips down now on the gixxer in the heat wave over last month, in the hot dry weather this bike is somthing else!!

really gained lots of confidence and found the tire limit last night on a motorway roundabout, tires was not fully up to temp as i'd only done about two miles with a stop between going round the roundabout in second with the revs buzzing the rear brakes traction for a split second and the rear slid out

i don't know exactly why but instantly the right leg popped right forward motocross style and i eased off the gas it came back (guess motocross never does leaves you)

rode it out and was thinking to me self wombles me that was mental that could have gone so very wrong at that speed!! but my god it was exhilarating so jumped back on the gas ready for the next one
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033