P1's in need of help beastie

Just post charts and set up details.
Stephan

Re: P1's in need of help beastie

Post by Stephan »

Seems unreal to me. There is problem with afr probe, or there is problem with carbs. I cannot imagine possible setup causing it. And power curve would be busted as well.
Is the bike running good? Based on the curve, there should be lot od backfires and coughing. And how is the engine temperature?

With this afr, engine usually smash after few miles ...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

When do you want to have a go at fattening it up Neil?
I've checked and I've not got the leftovers of my VTR kit anymore. (Think I gave them away to an old member on here :think: )
But if you have some jets I've still got all the tools and a kettle :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Stephan wrote:Seems unreal to me. There is problem with afr probe, or there is problem with carbs. I cannot imagine possible setup causing it. And power curve would be busted as well.
Is the bike running good? Based on the curve, there should be lot od backfires and coughing. And how is the engine temperature?

With this afr, engine usually smash after few miles ...

I agree, that AFR looks so bad that it has to be wrong. did he try it in both end cans or just the one
AMcQ
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

look at my similar chart with false reading, it was caused by AFR going too low under 10.5 so probe got fauled. According to the dynoman, their AFR probe should be replaced soon. Person doing this measurement should tell this AFR is not correct.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's off the scale. They could have at least changed the scale so you can at least see where things are at. :lol: :lol: I would question whether that dyno tech knows what they are doing. At least query it with them and get them to do another run free of charge.
==============================Enter the Darkside
playerone

Post by playerone »

Pete.L wrote:When do you want to have a go at fattening it up Neil?
I've checked and I've not got the leftovers of my VTR kit anymore. (Think I gave them away to an old member on here :think: )
But if you have some jets I've still got all the tools and a kettle :thumbup:

Pete.l
Dynojet kit is being posted tomorrow so should be here for the weekend :thumbup:
Stephan wrote: Based on the curve, there should be lot od backfires and coughing. And how is the engine temperature?
It has a lot of backfires coming off the throttle, plenty of coughs, very lumpy at low revs and does seem to be running hotter than it should be
AMCQ46 wrote: I agree, that AFR looks so bad that it has to be wrong. did he try it in both end cans or just the one
I wasnt in the booth at the time, when it goes back after playing around i'll see if I can get in
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

If it feels crap when riding, then there must be some truth in the readings but it's out all through the rev range which is a bit strange.
AMcQ
playerone

Post by playerone »

when he brought the bike out the booth the first thing he asked me was "what's been done to the engine" swiftly followed by "you got some work ahead" as they already knew they weren't doing any work to it
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

So what is your setup? Exhaust, airbox mods incl velocity stacks, needles used and their position, main and pilot jets, screws, air filter.
playerone

Post by playerone »

Stephan wrote:So what is your setup? Exhaust, airbox mods incl velocity stacks, needles used and their position, main and pilot jets, screws, air filter.
everything is standard apart from the high level stubby cans, the bike has been off the road for 4-5 years but led to believe the carbs where taken off and cleaned before it went back on the road...........
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

It leads me to believe problem is in carbs itself or fuel lines. Personally I would check needles operation at first as it is easy, but hard to tell ... I dont think problem can be solved with different setup, something just go wrong.
playerone

Post by playerone »

Should have another run tomorrow, Pete L and myself spent yesterday swapping the carbs from the other bike as it's already been dyno jetted, running much smoother now but not there yet....did find a possible cause for the particularly poor AFR, the vacuum hoses where somewhat perished and would barely stay connected so they've been swapped as well and new hoses to be ordered. Have now got a full dyno jet kit so hopefully tomorrow will tell where it needs to go from here :thumbup:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

playerone wrote:Should have another run tomorrow, Pete L and myself spent yesterday swapping the carbs from the other bike as it's already been dyno jetted, running much smoother now but not there yet....did find a possible cause for the particularly poor AFR, the vacuum hoses where somewhat perished and would barely stay connected so they've been swapped as well and new hoses to be ordered. Have now got a full dyno jet kit so hopefully tomorrow will tell where it needs to go from here :thumbup:
let us know how you got on mate.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
playerone

Post by playerone »

second run done today, swapped carbs from the black bike which had been dyno jetted and we set it up as follows - 180 mains, needles on second clip from bottom, 2+3/4 turns out with 45 pilot jets.......idles nicely at around 1200 but on the blip test it hangs very briefly at 2k so we thought its possibly still a bit lean
Combined read out of both runs -
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Faulty afr reading again, you don't recognize where is the issue from this.