Regulator/Rectifier

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
ESPER_996

Regulator/Rectifier

Post by ESPER_996 »

Dumb noob question here. I have read the threads on replacing the standard smooth reg/rec and can see suggestions for Yamaha ones etc or the CBR 125. Does the later, finned version for the VTR not bolt straight on using the existing holes/wiring etc.? Basically looking for a totally plug and play solution.
lloydie

Re: Regulator/Rectifier

Post by lloydie »

Yep the later finned ones plug right in as do the cbr125
The yamaha r1 regs are crap I had two fail in two years so I suggest you stick with Honda r:r
ESPER_996

Post by ESPER_996 »

Cheers fella, I will get one ordered off eBay :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote:Yep the later finned ones plug right in as do the cbr125
The yamaha r1 regs are crap I had two fail in two years so I suggest you stick with Honda r:r
If that's the case, I'm not going to tempt fate by mentioning which one I'm using :wink:

Chris.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ESPER_996 wrote:Cheers fella, I will get one ordered off eBay :D
ive got a good finned one spare - £20 plus post.

it's from a cbr1100 blackbird not the cb125 :thumbup:

regards fitting - it's a lot bigger physically than the original pos so you fit it using just the one bolt hole, in the same place as the original.
the original plug goes straight in.

agree with lllllloydy, the yam ones can fail.
the fad of using a yam one comes from a random page that someone posted showing how he butchered his storm wiring loom and got an r1 rr to fit.
the result was loads of people copied him, for some reason believing they are better.
yes, they are better than a broken one but they are no more reliable than the old style honda regs!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
neil

Post by neil »

Benny. As I've still got the original R/R on mine (it's done 38.000 miles 1998 model) I think I ought to have a replacement ready for the much talked about failure. So if you want to sell it I'll have it please
redvtr
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

neil wrote:Benny. As I've still got the original R/R on mine (it's done 38.000 miles 1998 model) I think I ought to have a replacement ready for the much talked about failure. So if you want to sell it I'll have it please
no probs mate, yours if you want it.
i wouldnt bother waiting for the old one to fail btw - just keep the oem as a spare in case a mate gets caught out. fit the new one asap to be sure :thumbup:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
neil

Post by neil »

Thanks for the R/R. I think I've pushed my luck with it I'll fit it for peace of mind. PM me details of how to pay
redvtr
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

get rid of pronto...

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If that's the case, I'm not going to tempt fate by mentioning which one I'm using :wink:
Me neither. :plainsmile and I have badly wired it with crimp terminals rather than solder. :roll:

At the end of the day any of the older style R/R's can fail whether it's from a later Storm, CBR, R1 aftermarket or whatever. The issue is not the make but the design and the way it operates. If you want a solid R/R then you have to go for the MOSFET technology but then your looking at spending close to £100 by the time one has bought nice waterproof connectors. But anything is better than the original as in wicky's pic.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
ESPER_996

Post by ESPER_996 »

Thanks for the replies guys. Are all the finned Honda ones physically bigger or are there any direct like for like replacements?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

ESPER_996 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. Are all the finned Honda ones physically bigger or are there any direct like for like replacements?
afaik they are all larger, but they fit just fine.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

ESPER_996 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. Are all the finned Honda ones physically bigger or are there any direct like for like replacements?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR-125 ... 25802d501f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/rectifier-reg ... 51a35e46a7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBR125- ... 4d01cb756b
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
cliveyandrews

Post by cliveyandrews »

The CBR125 bolts straight in - uses both bolt holes, you can be sure of a good earth then....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and my fat fingers and thumbs....
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:
Me neither. :plainsmile and I have badly wired it with crimp terminals rather than solder. :roll:
Nothing wrong with crimped connectors IMHO, after all every original terminal was/is a crimped one, providing you use a good quality crimping tool such as a ratchet type.

Personally I would say renewing the spade connectors on the wiring loom is a good idea when fitting a replacement rectifier, especially now the wiring is getting on a bit. By cutting the old ones off you can use a new nice fresh bit of wire. Just make sure you use a good quality crimping tool if you do decide to do that, as I've mentioned above.

Chris.