Just arrived to the club....

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Slasher

Just arrived to the club....

Post by Slasher »

Hi Guys, as I am now on my 3rd Firestorm, I thought I would be in the right place here?

I am in my early 50's and live in Kent and have just returned from a 6 day trip to Germany/Austria and to be honest I was looking for advise on the Internet from other Firestorm owners as 20 miles from Calais, shock and horror my 2000 model gave up the ghost!!!

My bike had up to this point been faultless of the 6 bikes on the trip. I was actually feeling quite smug as the old girl had just done 2,000 miles in rain, 140mph on German Auto route and Alpine passes without fault.

Then, no rev counter, loud back fire, sudden loss of power. I was not aware Honda's main bug bear was rectifier. Lifted seat and battery was cooking. Anyway, replaced both battery and rectifier yesterday and nothing, although all lights and horn worked. So here I am and look forward to passing on and sharing other people's experiences. Slasher (cut my wrist whilst wall tiling hence name)
Virt

Re: Just arrived to the club....

Post by Virt »

Welcome to the forum slasher :thumbup: Unfortunate about the R/R, what type did you replace it with?

The unfinned versions found on the pre-01 facelifted models are known for cooking themselves, so it's best to replace it with one that is finned in order to (hopefully) prevent it happening again.

Also, I'm asking because you weren't aware of the R/R problems, but have the CCT's on your storm also been done then? If not you may also want to get that addressed soon
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Ok so you have replaced the rectifier and the battery but the bike wont start. Does it turn over at all. The next thing to check is the main 30a fuse that is attached to the starter relay which you will find on the left hand side subfame behind the tail fairing. If this is allright then you need to start looking at the wiring itself to make sure it has not burnt out.

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Hi Virt

The R/R that came off was flat and looked like original fit. The replacement new one has hot deep fins no doubt to help cooling. The battery while stranded on the French m/way hard shoulder was cooking. It was only that when the recovery guy dropped me off at the docks, there was a Honda CBR1000 with chap looking a bit miffed.

"What's up mate" he asked and when I told the story, he'd suffered exactly same fate but knew all about this issue. As soon as I got home, soon realised what common fault it was.

Regards c/c/t, yes my first Firestorm went on the front pot whilst out. I soon realised I had become one of the club, so to speak... Looks like I'm getting all common problems under my belt!!!
macdee

Post by macdee »

welcome slasher
as cybercarl said check fuse and wires
theirs also and upgrade some of the men on here do to the r/r
they use a mosfet r/r off a Yamaha r1
the mosfet takes some work to do and is larger but would be best solution to the r/r problem especially for long distance travel
:thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Hi Cybercarl

When it would not start, I checked Haynes manual and it mentioned about the 30amp fuse and I did check and wasn't burnt out and looks fine. I did notice that the dip beam has blown and one of the tail light bulbs had blown. I was riding with dipped beam when I came to a stop.

No doubt there was too much going through caused by r/r going. I'll just have to keep trying. Thanks for the advise.
macdee

Post by macdee »

check and see if theirs voltage at the feed side of the starter solenoid
then press the starter button and see if the voltage returns on the switch wire side of the solenoid
now check to see if the switch has closed and the voltage has passed through the solenoid
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Welcome to the club!

Main fuse is on the left nr the battery, underneath rear cowling

Hopefully the bike's lectronic brainz in the tail hasn't fried.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

May also be worth checking the power wire on the starter motor. See if it has corroded. This could be the problem if everything else is working. I checked mine a while ago as it started to struggle starting at after looking at the starter cable I am surprised it ever started. Failing that a burnt out wire somewhere. Might be worth checking the wires to the ignition barrel, see what there like. If I am wrong about that one someone will say so :roll:

Welcome to the forum. Should be able to get some good info your way on this problem to get it sorted soon :thumbup:
shaggy-doo

Post by shaggy-doo »

hi and welcome i hope you get your bike sorted mate :thumbup:
Regards ian
darkember

Post by darkember »

Hi there & welcome :wave: All seems to have been mentioned thus far. If starting is still an issue then check that your coils are ok. They do age & start to fail, it would be wise to also pull the plugs & see what they are up to. One good thing about these bikes they are relatively basic & most things are easily accessible compared to some of the modern stuff today.
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Oh dear chaps. Firstly many thanks for the kind words and welcome posts. However, before you kind people rack your grey matter to help me.....

I have thought about starter, wiring, fuses and so on. You know that little red button next to the throttle known as "kill switch" - yes I'm sure you know where this is going. I never touch it from one ride to the next. :wtf:

Second try, bless it, fired up and after a cough and splutter, sounds sweet as a nut. So perhaps I might be banished to the dunces corner. Sorry.....
Virt

Post by Virt »

Slasher wrote:
Second try, bless it, fired up and after a cough and splutter, sounds sweet as a nut. So perhaps I might be banished to the dunces corner. Sorry.....
It's okay, you'll have me for company :lol:

Glad the bike is working, that's the important thing :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

Hi Virt

Thanks for that, all I am pleased about is that it's nothing else to do :) when I've worked out how to navigate the site better and attach photos, I would like to mention about my trip more. Apart from the idiot riding it, I can't say enough about now good the Firestorms are, recent issue aside. Thanks
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: That made me laugh. Glad it's all good though. Now you can get on with other issues/mods you may want to do. :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside