suggestions for something new please..

General Bike chat
darkember

Re: suggestions for something new please..

Post by darkember »

May I place an order for a set of fully adjustable rear sets? :thumbup:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Wow!!!! Very nicely done!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
popkat

Post by popkat »

They look really good, but don't think paddock stand mounts are a good idea, I think they won't be strong enough especially if the wheel is taken out and there's no spindle to offer support.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Lovely work as always, Mark.
Here's what you're up against:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycl ... -adjusters

But I like yours better, tbh.

Funnily enough I posted on the other thread about a braced swingarm a little while ago, before I saw this thread (Haven't been on for a few days) and said something very similar- next time I brace a swing arm I was going to cut off the end blocks form a Blade arm so that I could fit the Gilles adjusters, and lifters.

Which, by the way, I do think are strong enough- they look flimsy but are strong enough in the upwards force directions, just don't try to push the bike sideways when supported on them....and you can mount them onto the inside of the swingarm blocks, so that they#'re independent of the adjusters.

Have you thought about just cutting through the welds at the rear of the swingarm and removing the standard end blocks, and making complete blocks?
Ali ones could be made a lot lighter than the standard version, then just slotted in and welded.

But yes, I'd happily have these on the back of mine, let me know how much :thumbup:

BTW, suggest that you allow a bit more slider clearance for powder coated SA's, most people will want to do this once the brace is welded on, if they're not going for a polished finish, and a bit more clearance will mean that they don't jam up.

Another quality mod, well done.
:D
Last edited by tony.mon on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

popkat wrote:They look really good, but don't think paddock stand mounts are a good idea, I think they won't be strong enough especially if the wheel is taken out and there's no spindle to offer support.
Good point popkat, didn't think about the no spindle option.
AMcQ
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I would mount the lifters to the plate that gets bolted and located into the swingarm gap so not sure it would be that flimsy as the plate is located and secured both ends. The adjuster part itself is just free floating so don't think it'll be a problem.. will make a version with the lifters and give them a try but can't see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Tony, thought about the clearances etc and will make them a lot more sloppy than what these are as the swinger I will be fitting them to will be powder coated.. will have a look at the link and see where I go from here.
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

gl_s_r wrote:I have had some spare time over the last couple of days and started to make something different for my bike again.. can I ask for suggestions if you think things need changing or improving as several view points can be better than the one. It may be a little heavier than standard but I'll make the titanium nuts, washers and spacers etc to go with it but it will make a nice change from standard and something a bit different from everyone else. This is a mock up to see where it needs changing or not?

This is them on the bench

They then attach and bolt to the swingarm (excuse this as it is a spare I have for modding later) using the original M8 adjuster thread.. the square bit on the end slides down onto the swingarm and leaves the radius to but up against the radius that is there...The travel and adjuster markings run the same length as the swingarm allows (24mm)

The standard spindle is too short now with the addition of the 10mm adjuster either side

But the spindle from the swingarm that was kindly donated will fit perfectly once I have added the titanium spacers and nuts

It seems to work well by just turning the "captive" caphead in the back of the adjuster, again these will be swapped for nicer items..

So there you go.... anyone see anything I could do a little or a lot better or should be re-designed which could make these a little better?

I also understand I will be making new spacers on the inside of the swing arm a little thicker than standard to fill the gap of the original adjuster that is no longer there..

Thanks for any input
Wow, these are sexy.

Did you ever progress this project Mark?

Jamie :wave:
gilson

Post by gilson »

darkember wrote:May I place an order for a set of fully adjustable rear sets? Image
Don't need the entire rearsets, just a suitable plate on to which we can attach CBR pegs. The attachment of the rear sets on a vtr1000F is so very different to any other honda (I think anyway) that having a plate with various positions would work well.

Lovely bit of work for the chain adjuster.

Oh, this is from 2013!
No bike (yet).