Helmet Cams ??

General Biker Banter
leevtr

Helmet Cams ??

Post by leevtr »

Anyone got a helmet/bike cam, like the drift or go pro ??

If so, which and how do you rate it , where did you get it, any problems etc.

Thinking of getting the drift 720, with 32gb card, but never owned one before and dont want to waste 150 quid.

Also, how easy is it to edit on a basic laptop ??

Cheers
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
AMCQ46

Re: Helmet Cams ??

Post by AMCQ46 »

much as I love to see Geos edited down film clips, I just cant get excited about having a helmet cam.

I enjoy riding my bike, and if I want to remember how good a ride was last weekend I will go into the garage and strip the fairing off and clean the dead flys of the engine............that is far more I enjoyment for me than sitting at a laptop editing 5hrs of whitelines [not that type carl] .

but then again I am old and easly bored
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

I have the Drift ghost HD, and yes, it's good.

The 720 is the same size and mount I think. If you do get it, then get it from Action Cameras - there is a code for 10% off on the Baron Von Grumble channel.

Also, they will sell a GoPro mount adapter with the Drift cameras for £1 if you buy together. Well worth it. You screw it into the Drift and then you can use all the Go Pro mounts.

See my posts in the 2nd page of this:
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 1&start=15

On another note though, I have just read this today:

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/6/9/s ... amera.html

He reviews a lot of action cameras on that site. This is apparently the first one below £100 that is actually worth buying. I am thinking of getting one so I can do multi angle stuff. Can't go wrong for £60. Only problem is that the mounting options will be limited to what you get in the pack, whereas you can see on my other post that I can use all the Go Pro mounts with the Drift which makes it very handy.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

AMCQ46 wrote:much as I love to see Geos edited down film clips, I just cant get excited about having a helmet cam.

I enjoy riding my bike, and if I want to remember how good a ride was last weekend I will go into the garage and strip the fairing off and clean the dead flys of the engine............that is far more I enjoyment for me than sitting at a laptop editing 5hrs of whitelines [not that type carl] .

but then again I am old and easly bored
Last weekends ride I couldn't care less about, it will be there next weekend as well. But some rides cant be repeated, like the time myself and a mate on his Blackbird ( I was on a CB13 ) were having a little play on the Route Napolean with a couple of Classic Alpine Renaults, and all our mates on CBR-RR's and Superdukes couldn't keep up.

Would be nice to have those times on film to watch once in a while.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

leevtr wrote: Last weekends ride I couldn't care less about, it will be there next weekend as well. But some rides cant be repeated, like the time myself and a mate on his Blackbird ( I was on a CB13 ) were having a little play on the Route Napolean with a couple of Classic Alpine Renaults, and all our mates on CBR-RR's and Superdukes couldn't keep up.

Lee, there is an easy solution to that ............. get your mate to own the camera, then you get to be in all teh footage and he has to do all the editing sh1t.

have you met my mates Geodue and Ziggy :lol:
AMcQ
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

AMCQ46 wrote:
leevtr wrote: Last weekends ride I couldn't care less about, it will be there next weekend as well. But some rides cant be repeated, like the time myself and a mate on his Blackbird ( I was on a CB13 ) were having a little play on the Route Napolean with a couple of Classic Alpine Renaults, and all our mates on CBR-RR's and Superdukes couldn't keep up.

Lee, there is an easy solution to that ............. get your mate to own the camera, then you get to be in all teh footage and he has to do all the editing sh1t.

Typical Scotsman :lol:
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

AMCQ46 wrote:

I can't post half the footage I have of you, because you're always on the back wheel :thumbup: :thumbup:
geodude

Post by geodude »

lol!!

It doesn't matter what camera you get to start with. Drift 720 @ £149 or GoPro 1080 White @£199

Go for the most expensive you can afford but bear this in mind;

Decide why you are doing it - My reason to start with was to help with my training. Now its to create a diary of video memories for me (now) and my kids/grand kids when I'm gone.

Time - You will need to devote some time going through the footage once you have shot it. This can be as time consuming or quick as you choose. You will also need some time to learn editing software and more time for the edit itself.

Power - Cameras need batteries. Batteries need charging. This has been my biggest annoyance. Arriving at a meet (Yorkshire) to find your new cameras battery had depleated, was extremely frustrating. Make sure you have plenty of power. Wiring up to the bike is my next challenge.

Software - You will need some software to edit videos with. Start off with Windows Movie Maker and go from there. I went on to use Cyberlink Power Director and now use Sony Vegas

Disk space - If you go out with a 16gb card and fill it up, you will need to put it somewhere when you get back. Make sure you have plenty of storage.

Power PC - To edit footage quickly I had to upgrade my PC. I hated editing on my old PC as it was such a chore. Getting a newer more powerful PC allowed me to enjoy editing again.

YouTube/Vimeo/FB etc - Forgot to mention, you'll need somewhere to share it. YouTube is the best place if you want exposure. The others are ok alternatives.

What not to share in public - Wheelies, Speedo showing speeding. Illegal riding of any kind. You leave yourself exposed if you do.

Can't think of anything else. I'll add to it if I do.
Last edited by geodude on Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

geodude wrote:lol!!

It doesn't matter what camera you get to start with. Drift 720 @ £149 or GoPro 1080 White @£199

Go for the most expensive you can afford but bear this in mind;

Decide why you are doing it - My reason to start with was to help with my training. Now its to create a diary of video memories for me (now) and my kids/grand kids when I'm gone.

Time - You will need to devote some time going through the footage once you have shot it. This can be as time consuming or quick as you choose. You will also need some time to learn editing software and more time for the edit itself.

Power - Cameras need batteries. Batteries need charging. This has been my biggest annoyance. Arriving at a meet (Yorkshire) to find your new cameras battery had depleated, was extremely frustrating. Make sure you have plenty of power. Wiring up to the bike is my next challenge.

Software - You will need some software to edit videos with. Start off with Windows Movie Maker and go from there. I went on to use Cyberlink Power Director and now use Sony Vegas

Disk space - If you go out with a 16gb card and fill it up, you will need to put it somewhere when you get back. Make sure you have plenty of storage.

Power PC - To edit footage quickly I had to upgrade my PC. I hated editing on my old PC as it was such a chore. Getting a newer more powerful PC allowed me to enjoy editing again.

Can't think of anything else. I'll add to it if I do.
Right, as follows;

Why.... Because moving film is always better than a still picture ( well I think so anyway )
Time...I'm a single bloke with no kids, time I have lots of ( sometimes it drives me bloody mad )
Power...12V socket under my seat already, one of the first things I fitted
Software...I'll work it out, making a few fcuk ups along the way, but thats the beauty of digital, right ??
Disc Space....External hard drives are cheap
PC...Hmmm, haven't got a smart answer for that one, but if I enjoyed it enough, then I suppose a computer update wouldn't be out of the question.
geodude

Post by geodude »

Sounds like you have no exuse then. I'm looking forward to the vids :thumbup:

Ive just added the following to the above

YouTube/Vimeo/FB etc - Forgot to mention, you'll need somewhere to share it. YouTube is the best place if you want exposure. The others are ok alternatives.

What not to share in public - Wheelies, Speedo showing speeding. Illegal riding of any kind. You leave yourself exposed if you do.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I have used a GoPro in the past with good results..... :thumbup:

That is what I filmed the vid I have posted on here with. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30&t=28960
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

All very good advice that George :thumbup: It's all to easy for peole to just go out and buy a camera and forget about the rest of it. I must say I am impressed with Ziggy's latest camera and what he has achieved with it in such a short space of time.

Lee if it's just the occasional bit of footage you want you could juts buy one of those cheap usb type clip on things. Or if you want to make something a bit more serious as memorabilia, then go out and but something more pro and better quality, but you will want more than just a helmet mount.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
geodude

Post by geodude »

cybercarl wrote: I must say I am impressed with Ziggy's latest camera and what he has achieved with it in such a short space of time.

but you will want more than just a helmet mount.

(:-})
+1 :thumbup:
freakdazzer

Post by freakdazzer »

I bought a sony hdras15 brilliant picture does everything the go pro black does.just trying to find a place to put it where you don't get much vibrations from,tried on crash bungs and mount on end of fairing,gonna try mounting on mirror.does anyone know the best place on there bike to place a cam ?
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Think I'm going to spend a whole 11 quid on a ball adaptor for my spare ram mount, and have a play with my cybershot digital camera first. Might be shite compared to a dedicated sports type camera, but worth a go before splashing out.