Rear brake, why is it there?

General Bike chat
lloydie

Re: Rear brake, why is it there?

Post by lloydie »

On the bird now that the brakes are de-linked and I've also changed the master cylinders the rear brake is very good .
I tend to use the rear more than I do the fronts unless I'm making progress lol
RedStormJ

late to the party.

Post by RedStormJ »

Im a new rider especially to 1l bikes. I have went in too hot for my skill brake saved me. Another time. I forgot what I did wrong but the bike tried to buck me off in a tank slapper. same a bit of rear brake. I use it all the time to reduce wear to the front brake. I ride by what I read and have been told since experience isnt on my side. any book will tell you to use that brake. maybe ss lines help but I can feel that brake and I know when shes gonna let go too. you can feel it in your feet.
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

Been riding since 1971, on and off road. Moved to Canada in 2002 (stayed until 2014) and had to re-take my bike test, which involved lots of theory and observed road riding. But actually, it was a really good experience, and as we all know, you never stop learning and can always improve!
I had a Kawasaki Z750 at the time, and found it a bit ponderous doing the cone and U turn test. Instructor told me to apply a little back brake for better control...and hey!! worked like a charm! :thumbup:
Since then I use the back brake in slow traffic, slow turns and tight roundabouts! Can ride the back brake at walking speed all day long... I don't have the bottle to 'back it in' to fast bends...but that old back brake is really useful around town... :wink:
Twist it 'til it breaks, then back off half a turn.... :eh:
vardypeeps

Post by vardypeeps »

Some really good information on rear brake use :D
rufs

Post by rufs »

I use mine quite a lot, in town traffic mainly and approaching lights, junctions etc.
MMCK

Post by MMCK »

I think you did ok with the communication there.
For me a biker returning after some 20 year it was informative and gave me plenty to think about.

Hopefully i've already worked out how to use the rear brake in town and to assist the front!

Keep the shiny side up
geeman22

Post by geeman22 »

Rear brake is in my opinion for low speed manouvering and I find dragging it while accelerating through a corner gives me an extra modicum of control
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

riding on twisty roads you are best using the rear break going in to a corner as it will stop the front diving and causing the front to lose traction
If you think my attitude stinks ,you should smell my fingers !!
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

I have read many of these posts about braking, imho, some are spot on, others maybe less so.
Can I refer you to an excellent video by an outfit called 'Canyon chasers' on YouTube. There are a few, but the one I particularly like is about "Trail braking". I won't go into it myself here, I couldn't do it justice, but suffice it to say that it has completely changed my own personal cornering technique for the better. Safer and much more enjoyable.
Incidentally, the 'trail' bit refers to the steering geometry up front, and not the rear brake, which some get confused by.

Ps, loving this forum guys, some fantastic mods and upgrades to look forward to. It's great that people are so free with their ideas and experiences. 👍😊
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

I watched that particular canyon racers video and it is a good reference for trail braking.
This is my first liter bike and have only ridden it to storage (10 miles) to put it away until I get back from being an over the road truck driver. I'm out usually 4-6 weeks so I won't be able to try any of this until I get back home.

Riding the 'Hawk to storage I felt more at ease with the bike as I went but it's been 25 years since I rode my KZ400.
It was a smaller bike and you could wring her out to redline without worry of any wheelies. :lol:
This bike is way more dangerous as I'm not used to the power or torque.
But I will learn this bike and take all the information I've been reading and acclimate to it so things will become effortless.

Great reading here and I've learned tons. Thanks.
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆
zakisbak

Post by zakisbak »

Doesn't just using the front brake unbalance the bike?
One wheel being slowed,the other spinning freely?
Seems wrong to me,but that's maybe a personal riding style thing.