Airbox spongey bits???

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
kemper162

Airbox spongey bits???

Post by kemper162 »

During the stripdown ,to assess the damage of the usual cct failure, on taking the airbox apart, the two sponge inserts where the airbox joins together fell apart.. :(
I have a new air filter on order from M&P, will these come with it or if not... where can I get some :confused
Expect the worst... then everything else is a bonus.
lumpyv

Re: Airbox spongey bits???

Post by lumpyv »

same thing happened to me and i made some as a temp measure from some makeup sponges . (not used) superdrug/boots sell them but I nicked the ones I used from my missus makeup bag of stuff?

although a temp measure mine have been in for about 3000 miles and nothing appears to have gone wrong yet??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

These are the little triangular shaped things in the corners. They filter atmospheric air into the carb diaphragm's. You wont get any with a replacement filter. Just do a search for air filter sponge or something on ebay. Or you can use aquarium filter sponge, but with either you will have to cut them to shape. Otherwise there is Honda spares but your going to pay through the nose for a couple of little sponge filters for genuine Honda parts.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Pipercross filters come with them, but youd need to rejet for that. So still costly

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

as carl said, i got some cheap air filter foam and cut my own, it was easy enough, just remember to oil the foam.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
kemper162

Post by kemper162 »

Thanks chaps... I'm sure I've got some airbox foam floating around somewhere... :beer:
Expect the worst... then everything else is a bonus.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Also IIRC when fitting a K&N air filter those little sub filter boxes are blanked off, so I would imagine the little filters are removed first. Hence when a standard air is refitted they have long disappeared :problem:

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

kemper162 wrote:Thanks chaps... I'm sure I've got some airbox foam floating around somewhere... :beer:
its cheap enough, just cut it to size, i made a little template out of cardboard first..... :thumbup:
don't forget to put some air filter oil them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GGP-FOAM-AIR- ... 20d236a0af
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Also IIRC when fitting a K&N air filter those little sub filter boxes are blanked off, so I would imagine the little filters are removed first.
I used to think that but no, the K&N things are not block off's, If you look at the standard filter you also have them on there. It's just K&N did not put them directly on the filter. Maybe they thought they would sell more filters as people lost them :roll:

If you compare the height of the K&N blocks or the bits under the standard filter against the height of the pipe in the centre they cover. There is a gap, so the atmospheric air gets in through the small holes in the bottom of the airbox via the foam filter and up and into that gap and through the pipe down into the carb diaphragms. The only reason they are there is to stop the Airbox air that is under pressure from getting in there. It's a bit of a strange design really. I'm sure Honda could have done a better job of separating the two.

==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:
Also IIRC when fitting a K&N air filter those little sub filter boxes are blanked off, so I would imagine the little filters are removed first.
I used to think that but no, the K&N things are not block off's, If you look at the standard filter you also have them on there. It's just K&N did not put them directly on the filter. Maybe they thought they would sell more filters as people lost them :roll:

If you compare the height of the K&N blocks or the bits under the standard filter against the height of the pipe in the centre they cover. There is a gap, so the atmospheric air gets in through the small holes in the bottom of the airbox via the foam filter and up and into that gap and through the pipe down into the carb diaphragms. The only reason they are there is to stop the Airbox air that is under pressure from getting in there. It's a bit of a strange design really. I'm sure Honda could have done a better job of separating the two.

Cheers for that snippet of info Carl, interesting. I see what you mean now :thumbup:

Chris.