Getting windows XP boot disc

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
AMCQ46

Getting windows XP boot disc

Post by AMCQ46 »

Had to get a new PC as the old one is 7yrs old XP based and so slow I can hardly use it, but I have MemoryMap SW with full OS maps of UK that cost a fortune and I use for road and off road planning.......and it wont work on Windows 8!!!!

so it a fit of gadget desire I bought an iMac as I was told I could section off part of the system and run any version of Windows there and have the rest of the system running as Apple [using their BootCamp tool]. But now having done more research I find that the newest Mac processors and associated Bootcamp tool dont go far enough back to allow XP......grrr
So I need to use a bit more memory and use a 3rd part Virtual tool that will allow a parallel windows XP instal and this will run sideby side with the apple applications all the time [the boot camp solution needed you to reboot to be in either Windows or Apple, not both at once].

so now I have the problem of getting and XP boot disc [I guess I have the license key off my existing PC, but it came ready installed with no back up discs].

Any suggestions how I get a copy of XP [with SP2 and SP3]?????????
AMcQ
geodude

Re: Getting windows XP boot disc

Post by geodude »

“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that might work, the dell bit is only a front to say you are buying a machine with SW loaded, not just SW.

is professional going to use more memory space that Home version?
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:that might work, the dell bit is only a front to say you are buying a machine with SW loaded, not just SW.

is professional going to use more memory space that Home version?
I've been running pro since pre-release so no idea. Sorry.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
seb421

Post by seb421 »

you should be able to use a virtual machine inside windows 8 mate

i run windows xp inside windows 7 for certain things

its built into this windows 7 i have just google how to get it to work
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
seb421

Post by seb421 »

ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Virt

Post by Virt »

On my MacBook I have a segmented hard drive with one part containing a Windows XP system for use in the development VM's Al. If possible we can see if it is capable of being transferred over a USB connection or something? However I am essentially bike-less for the next fortnight. So finding a way to do it may be difficult
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If you have it on disc already you should be able to use your old ones. But if your going to run OSX and Windows side by side then you should either partition you drive or install window on a separate drive. I suppose you got Mountain Lion pre-installed :roll: with a new machine. Did they supply discs as well. Personally I would use Snow Leopard but that's just me, I'm not a fan of Lion. I may even have XP knocking about on one of my drives somewhere. I'm sure I downloaded it in case I decided use Parallels Desktop one day.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

Or see if you can find a copy knocking around the interwebs and set up VMWare on the iMac. Works a treat for windows :thumbup:
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

:confused absolutely no idea what anyone just said, I think I'll go and clean my bike
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

As he said, you can run xp and win 8 together, even as dual boot I think.

If you need a cd, pm me, I'll download you a pirate copy and post it.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Or actually, scratch my last two posts. Have you ever heard of Wine, and not the drink? It's an emulator that you can use to run windows files and stuff. I think it may be able to run win XP stuff...

http://www.winehq.org/
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wine is not very good. There's plenty of proper ways of running OSX and Window side by side. Some ways require a reboot and others is literally a case of flicking backwards and forwards between the two.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I bought an iMac as I was told I could section off part of the system and run any version of Windows there and have the rest of the system running as Apple [using their BootCamp tool]. But now having done more research I find that the newest Mac processors and associated Bootcamp tool dont go far enough back to allow XP......grrr
Is you imac newer than a late 2009 model? How much memory does it have installed?

If so then yes Parallels Desktop is a solution, and get WindowsXP from fleabay (though be aware support for it from MS runs out next year)
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Virt wrote:Or see if you can find a copy knocking around the interwebs and set up VMWare on the iMac. Works a treat for windows :thumbup:
i have loaded VirtualBox to host the XP, I just need the XP disk to get it running
AMcQ