4th Dimension - MCE's repairer - heads up!

General Bike chat
benny hedges

4th Dimension - MCE's repairer - heads up!

Post by benny hedges »

i thought i'd copy you in on this.... just a heads up for those insured with mce

dont use their appointed repairer

Hi Mathew - I thought I'd give you the opportunity to see this before I take it further.

As you know, my bike was involved in a crash on 05/11/12 and was repaired by 4th Dimension, and returned to me on 28/02/13.

Initially I was just glad to get the bike back after it being away for the best part of 4 months, and couldn't wait to ride it obviously.
Unfortunately since it came back I've found a number of faults related to the repair - some which could've resulted in a crash.
(See attached images)

1) Coolant had been overfilled and was leaking from the new L/H radiator, running down inside the fairing onto the rear tyre.
I noticed this on the first ride after I felt my boot slipping on the L/H peg.
I haven't had chance to check if it's leaking from anywhere else yet as this would involve removing the fairings etc.

2) Coming out of a set of bends, I went to change gear and noticed the gear lever was not there.
It was flapping about hanging on by a thread - the linkage had fallen off due to both the locknuts on the adjusters not being refitted.
This almost caused me to crash the bike into the kerb and left me stuck at the roadside.

3) When fitting a new heated grip controller to replace the one damaged in the crash, I noticed both the pinch bolts on the (repaired) top yoke were loose - not even finger tight.
On further inspection the big centre top yoke nut was also very loose, resulting in the headstock being loose and knocking if I rock the bike back & forth with the brake applied.

4) Turning right into a petrol station, the bike would not turn - the bars were locked solid, again nearly causing me to drop the bike.
Turns out the intake flap servo had fallen off and got wedged between the left fork and headstock, between the top and bottom yoke.
This could've been very serious if I'd been moving at any speed.
After speaking to other owners, the fact that the servo was not attached to the intake flap would explain why the bike has been running rough since it came back - as though the choke is on.
Again, this fault was not there when the bike went away.

After finding this I went right through the bike just in case anything else had been left loose & was about to fall off.

Cosmetic faults -

5) Bolts missing from the new L/H lower fairing panel.

6) Poor left hand fairing panel alignment resulting in the panel rubbing against the frame and taking the lacquer off.
Now looks very 2nd hand.
I've since realigned the panel and got the marks out of the frame as much as possible but they are still visible.

7) The repaired top yoke has not been lacquered, as the standard one is, so after just a few rides it now looks very old and tatty.

8) The bar ends have been spray painted over the original anodised finish.
The paint is already flaking off and again they look very scruffy.
I can't understand why they were painted considering they don't cost much to replace.

9) L/H headlamp shell - very poor quality repair.
In my opinion this should've been replaced with a new part.
Instead it's had what looks like Araldite smeared all over the outside, looking like a very amateur repair.
If this was a hidden part I wouldn't be so bothered but it stares me in the face when I'm riding and looks a right mess.

10) L/H headlamp lens - this was scraped in the crash - looks as though it came back with the old one that's been very badly polished up or sanded or something.
Compared to the R/H lens which is crystal clear, the L/H lens is very milky and looks awful from the front.
At night the light beam is almost non existant on low beam - an obvious safety defect.
This was pointed out when I MOT'd the bike on 29/03/13 - in fact it only passed MOT because I told the examiner a new headlamp lens is in the post.

11) Mirrors - why has the bike come back with 2 different mirrors fitted?
The L/H mirror is a gloss finish with a recessed bolt.
The R/H mirror is a matt textured finish with a raised round bolt.
Both mirrors were damaged in the crash, but it looks as though mirrors off 2 different bikes have been fitted, or different years or something.

12) Front L/H indicator lens found hanging off on delivery - the retaining clip is missing and the lens is held on by just the screw.
A new lens is required.

13) Rear L/H indicator - screw & mount missing, found broken off inside and rattling about, with the lens secured by just the end clip.
(temporarily repaired for MOT)

The main reason I am so annoyed over this is because yesterday I took the bike into a local dealer with a view to part exchanging it against a new HRC Fireblade.

The sales guy offered me a ridiculous trade in based on his opinion that "the bike has obviously been in a serious smash and been bodged by a cowboy repairer"

To add insult to injury, the dealer had another white SP2 in that had done 61,000 miles and it looked in better condition than mine, which is newer and has done just 14,000 dry miles.
Considering I paid £6000 for the bike and it was 100% immaculate pre-crash, I'm sure you can understand why I am a bit miffed. (understatement)
When agreeing to let 4th Dimension complete the repairs I was guaranteed the bike would come back in showroom condition and I wouldn't be able to tell it had been bumped.

What, if anything, can you do to remedy this?

The very least I would expect is that the badly repaired / bodged parts are replaced with new and I will fit them myself.
There is no way I will allow the bike to be collected & repaired by 4th Dimension, though I will allow someone to call and assess / verify that the faults listed are genuine.

Parts required.

L/H headlamp lens & L/H headlamp shell - 33152-MCF-671
Matching mirrors - 88110-MBW-023 & 88120-MBW-023
New OEM bar ends - 2x 53105-MBB-010
New fairing bolts to replace the missing ones - 2x 90113-MM5-000
New gear linkage locknuts - L/H & R/H thread - 90201-700-000 & 94002-06020-0S
New L/H front indicator lens - 33402-MAS-602
New L/H rear indicator assy -33650-MBW-671

I'll update if they reply and let you know what they say!

You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
seb421

Re: 4th Dimension - MCE's repairer - heads up!

Post by seb421 »

Thanks for the heads up mate, hope you get it back to how you want it quick as

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Thanks for the heads up benny
Whoa Nelly

Post by Whoa Nelly »

Good shout Benny - good luck with getting it resolved & let us know how you get on.
WN! '99 Firestorm, furry dice & 2lbs of dead insects
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

That's a sack of sh1t that is mate.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Why are you thinking of swapping it for a blade?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Miztaziggy wrote:
i wasnt tbh but i do like them. every time i sit on one i want one!

anyway.... spoke to matt from ridemaster (mce's coordinators) who passed me onto the md of 4th dimension - and they have offered me this as a swap 8O

i have to admit i am very tempted. :Beer Popcorn:

10yr old sp2 with officially 16700 on the clock.... worth maybe 5 - 5.5k
against a brand new zero miles first owner hrc blade listed at over 10 grand... :crazy:
i love my sp but realistically i could keep the blade for 2 years and if i still miss the sp i could chop it in for another.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

benny hedges wrote:
Miztaziggy wrote:
i wasnt tbh but i do like them. every time i sit on one i want one!

anyway.... spoke to matt from ridemaster (mce's coordinators) who passed me onto the md of 4th dimension - and they have offered me this as a swap 8O

i have to admit i am very tempted. :Beer Popcorn:

10yr old sp2 with officially 16700 on the clock.... worth maybe 5 - 5.5k
against a brand new zero miles first owner hrc blade listed at over 10 grand... :crazy:
i love my sp but realistically i could keep the blade for 2 years and if i still miss the sp i could chop it in for another.

Its a no brainer, poorly repaired old bike with its value significantly reduced or a new HRC blade,

i would hand the keys over now,

who knows by the time you got bored with the blade honda may have made a VTR SP3 with a 1200cc lump,

doubt it tho as the Panigale isn't doing to great in racing right now and the ltr bikes are still king, about time honda did another V4 sports bike imo
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think that is a no brainer mate. Brand spanking new 8O Just put the original cans back on the SP first. :biggrin

[edit}That's funny seb we where thinkng the same at the same time
no brainer
:biggrin [/edit]

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

currently haggling over extras.

and yes, the akros & pc3 etc will be coming off if i let it go.
not sure what to do yet tbh but i agree, yes, its a good deal lol.

i do really love my sp and waited ages to get one, but in the real world....
and i'll still have my storm for the vee twin grins

regarding the 1200cc vee..... with the current crop of 1L inline 4s all running a stock ecu, and with the electronics packages now, launch control, traction control, anti wheelie etc, the 1000cc vees have lost their advantage of pulling power out of bends as the 4's just pin it and the electronics do all the work.

there is talk of a cc increase.... a little bird told me ktm is already working on a 1200cc race bike... no doubt the others will follow.
so a genuine 200bhp vee could well be on the streets soon with homologation etc..... :thumbup:
seb421

Post by seb421 »

benny hedges wrote:currently haggling over extras.

and yes, the akros & pc3 etc will be coming off if i let it go.
not sure what to do yet tbh but i agree, yes, its a good deal lol.

i do really love my sp and waited ages to get one, but in the real world....
and i'll still have my storm for the vee twin grins

regarding the 1200cc vee..... with the current crop of 1L inline 4s all running a stock ecu, and with the electronics packages now, launch control, traction control, anti wheelie etc, the 1000cc vees have lost their advantage of pulling power out of bends as the 4's just pin it and the electronics do all the work.

there is talk of a cc increase.... a little bird told me ktm is already working on a 1200cc race bike... no doubt the others will follow.
so a genuine 200bhp vee could well be on the streets soon with homologation etc..... :thumbup:

Allready got the dukes to pick from the 1198 and 1199

KTM - not great styling they will look old very soon imo with that boxy styling they have
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

they muist realise they've made a wombles up, and you're probably not the first benny, just the most diligent. So, they're scared stiff of being found out and losing MCE's contract. maybe.

go for it, i would and keep all the good bits and you still have the twin grin as you say :thumbup:

KTM's - love the styling me, so different that I'm not sure they will date as quick as some
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

go on you know you want to . 10k bike for them trying to kill you :!:
keep your sp bling for when you get one again .
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Lol, I can't believe you even have to think about it mate.

Even if you say yes and accept delivery of the brand spanker just to stick on e-bay as a 0 miles 13 plate blade for £10k.

Even if you took £9k for it, you could still buy another mint £6k SP2 and go on holiday with the rest.

Personally I would accept, take the blade, then either sell it and buy this, or PX and buy this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-12-DUCAT ... 485452d347
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

dont them ducatis drink sh1t loads of oil so much so benny would need to carry a gallon can on a good run
Virt

Post by Virt »

lloydie wrote:dont them ducatis drink sh1t loads of oil so much so benny would need to carry a gallon can on a good run

They look blooody beautiful though :lol: although they need to, with the amount of time you'll spend on the roadside...

Oh, and it's a match made in heaven once you get it on the back of an AA recovery truck. Luckily it's a Ducati sooo... :lol: :D
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement