How many of you are...

General Biker Banter
Ckennedy

How many of you are...

Post by Ckennedy »

It occured to me earlier that with some of the threads I have created on here from time to time I must seem a bit like a muppet with some really simple questions like, how to get right size leathers and cornering questions (here is where the title comes in) but I am the first biker in my family. None of my parents ride bikes (well my mum does pillion for cycle races) but I started riding before her, none of my grandparents and I do not really know any of my mums side of the family.

So being the first biker it is all rather new, been riding since I was nearly 17, wow 4 years now 8O 8O

I get called vain because I wash the bike and keep it clean and like it to look good and none of them really understand why I love my bikes so much.

So how many of you are first time bikers in your family and how did/do you find it being the "odd" one out?
lloydie

How many of you are...

Post by lloydie »

I'm 3rd gen biker and both sides of my family were bikers :-)
It's in the blood you know !

Both my grandads and my great uncle used to race the TT I'm told on bonnies .
I'm still trying to find more info on this but its hard work as the people that know are no longer with us .
I can remember going to my nans up till I was ten and looking at my pops old race bonnies in the garage he had 3 of them all in pristine condition and reAdy to race .
. My nan sold them all and the spares before we could ride them .
My mum and dad never owned a bike tho they were always pillion .
Tho my mum used to take pops bonnies out when he was away working lol .

It was my cuz that really got me hooked on bikes .
As kids we used to stop at my ants over the summer hols . And as my cuz was/is 8 years older he always had a bike or two in reasonable condition (both wheels without punchers ) we used to take over the woods :-)
Last edited by lloydie on Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
templ8

Re: How many of you are...

Post by templ8 »

3rd gen biker here too, been riding for 20 of my 36 years.
Both my dad and grandad started at 16 too.

Unfortunately my Mrs is dead against my lad getting a bike when he's older, she even threatened to burn the storm if i ever take either of the kids out on it :o
seb421

Post by seb421 »

I don't know much of the family at all never asked either my grandads, one was fantastic the other killed my dog so i don't give him the time of day
and my mums side of the family i don't talk to they earn lots of money and I'm just a bottom feeder lol

My dad had bikes from an early age and i think that's the only thing me and my dad really have in common as i hate football but think that's deep rooted as my dad a violent or passionate fan (seen him kicking and spitting at the telly when its all gone wrong and the shouting omg) so always tried to be out the house when united was on as a kid

So might be a 3rd gen i don't know but deffo a 2nd gen,

Think your self lucky mate, my old man went spare at me if i left the bike dirty, i bowered his beloved blade once and rode it through sh1t weather and didn't wash it immediately, big mistake!

As a parent tho i would be worried sick about my lad (or girl) on the roads (if i had one) id probably have them racing first to learn bike control, plus the fact no matter how good you are it only takes one retard on the road to end it all,

iirc that's how Norick Abe a fantastically skilled ex MotoGP racer died when a truck made an illegal u-turn, he was only on a scooter just touring when the truck made an illegal manure and he had no where to go, that ended his life a few years back
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

First generation here, me and my younger brother started riding bikes the same day my dad did :D

Dad bought a TS125 for the farm and while he used it for ploding round inspecting the sheep, we would try and jump ditches and wheelie it :thumbup: After 2yrs dad swaped it for a trike, then a quad and never went back onto 2 wheels, but me and my kid brother have stayed with bikes from that day.

Mind you in the 70 and 80's getting a moped at 16 was a right of passage :D
AMcQ
Chrish

Post by Chrish »

To the best of my knowledge no one in the family going back several generations has had a bike, don't know where I go it from but as said in the 70's lots of lads got mopeds. My youngest son is big into his bikes he has an FMX 650
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Ckennedy wrote:So how many of you are first time bikers in your family and how did/do you find it being the "odd" one out?
Odd
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

First biker here. Can someone tell me who stole the pedals ??
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The rest of my family either ride spacecraft or broomsticks. I'm the Black sheep, Baaa.

By the way your threads don't make you sound like a muppet. There are a lot worse. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

How many of you are...

Post by Virt »

2nd here. Dad used to do it when he was16 but stopped after a fairly big off and the military life took over, couldn't transport all his kit on a bike :lol: got back into it about 3 years ago and took my brother with him, then I started about a year ago because it was either a bike or public transport. Cars are too expensive. And of course I fell in love with them soon after. Most of my family hate bikes though :(
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

leevtr wrote:First biker here. Can someone tell me who stole the pedals ??
:lol: :lol: :clap:

My Mum & Dad meet as they both rode in the same Cycling club, it was all the rage for the youths in the 50's apparently.

Me bro always had a bike...in bits mostly TBH.

I got into them due to transport needs when living out in the sticks.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I will always remember growing up my mum always used to say that I was never allowed a bike but when I got a job I could do what I wanted with my money. Never made much sense that :? :lol:

When I left school and found a job at almost 17 I had to get a moped due to work being to far away to walk. That did not go down to well but hey ho. Any way left that job, the moped went and about 10months went by without a bike. Then I met my current missus who lived to far away again to walk, so a 125 came on the scene. The bit that really caused a bit of trouble was when I went into a bike shop....

They told me I could ride a bigger bike as long as it was fitted with a restrictor kit. Well that was it, it had to be done. I found a bike in there showroom, a sv650s, got a restrictor kit fitted (160quid for 3 small bits of metal 8O ) and about 3days later I bought it home. Walked through the door. My mum saw the bike and didn't speak to me for 2 days. My dad on the other hand ended up coming out, having a look and even sat on it :lol:

Used to watch the bikes on the telly as a child and always thought it was amazing to see these blokes dressed in weird clothes racing around at silly speeds. Whether that was what got me into them or not I am not 100% sure. I had never sat on a motorbike as a kid (well becides the ones you get at the local supermarket you have to put £1 into) Needless to say it was the best choice I ever made getting on a bike. Feel safer on a bike too.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

'' well besides the ones you get at the local supermarket you have to put £1 into.''

Funny you should say that, coz that's the only chance Marty gets these days what with his two bikes being in bit's.

Only last week he was forcible evicted from both Tesco's in Forest Gate & that little 24 hr corner shop on the Mile End Road, Mr Patel was furious as it hasn't worked the same since.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

bikes skipped a generation in our family...my dad was never interested in bike,he prefered hunting and shooting,my grandad was heavily into bikes though and being the only lad in the family(3 sisters,3 girl cousins) i was taken into the garage on every visit...i loved helping him service/restore old bsa's and the such...my mums not over thrilled i got into bikes as her uncle was killed 50yrds away from where we lived as kids..and now my 2 daughters ride bikes which their mum hates :thumbup: but hey she kept telling me they're just like me,stubbon,argumental and do everything she tells them not too....i did a good job then :D :D
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

My dad used to have a Vincent Black Shadow :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
No idea what happened to it, worth a bomb nowadays