Why is my Firestorm backfiring?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
jono

Why is my Firestorm backfiring?

Post by jono »

Hello all,

have put about 15,000 miles on my SuperHawk (live in the US) this summer. Bought it used, so now it has about 20,000 miles on it.

On the last trip (2,100 miles - no motorways!!!) it started to backfire upon deceleration, or really, any time I back off of the throttle.

It started as an intermittent issue, but now does it almost every time, including downshifting and blipping the throttle for a slow turn.

Anybody have ideas?

Thanks. Jon
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Most likely you have an air leak in the exhaust system, just check around all the joints and clamps etc and see if there is a leak.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Dandare2

Post by Dandare2 »

I have had the same problem lately.

But I can't find a damn leak in the 'zorst system.

There was a slight air leak on one of the joins with my Scorpion headers, but I've fixed that and cannot feel any air blowing out, even if I block up the ends.

To be fair the backfire has got a bit better, or rather a bit more intermittent.

Does anyone know of any other way to check for leaks?????
kevg

Post by kevg »

There is a joint in the system that is almost imposible to see. if you follow the pipe down from the rear cylinder you will find it inside the swing arm.
My storm has been backfiring badly on the rundown, and almost any time i drop the revs at all, i can hear this joint blowing, but can't be arsed doing anything about it yet, getting new link pipes so will take it all apart then.
i've heard the gasket for the joint is about £12 as well, plus the header gasket if you take the pipe off to try and sort it.
cheerz

kev
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yep
Thats the most likly one Kev. Had mine blow out earlier this year. Had to by a new clamp as well . the old one disintergrated trying to undo it

Pete.l

Wet enough for you boys up there?
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Pete.L wrote: Wet enough for you boys up there?
Dont know what you mean Pete, I drove up to Inverness today, sun glasses on all the way there and all the way back. Not a cloud in the sky. :D Just a shame i was in the car. :(
Rich.

Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

What? 8O
Does that meen the weather focasters arnt telling the truth? 8O
Your all suposed to be drowing in mud slides acording to the news

Pete.l
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Funny you should say that. I saw a couple of them mud slides at the side of the A9. I figured it was just a few rocks that had rolled down the hill. Bloody hell, you should see the two enormous gouges out of the side of the hill, the sid eof the road is now lined with big concret blocks to stop any more spilling onto the road. Mind you, nothing compared to that village in Devon ( or was it Corwall).
Rich.

jono

Post by jono »

Thank you Gentlemen,

advice worked like a charm. No more backfiring (and no new clamps needed :? )

Jon
Portland
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Bloody Hell Kevg 8O
We got one right :D

Well I supose it had to happen eventually :wink:

Nice one Jono
Now go and give it some stick :twisted: we know you want to :wink:

Pete.l
kevg

Post by kevg »

First time for everything mate :wink:

need to sort my own now.

its raining again so i should have time to do it between now and march when it'll stop.
cheerz

kev
jono

Post by jono »

Well guys, I'll tell ya...

the reason it took me a few days to send a thank you note is that an hour after reading your reply, my exhaust was in five pieces, and an hour after that I was heading to Idaho with the fast group. I'm back now, of course, and still smiling.

BTW if you have the means - I highly recommend Idaho. Highway 21 !!!!!! It really brings out the worst in you.

Thanks again.

Jon