Asssault on battery.......

General Bike chat
vtrjock

Asssault on battery.......

Post by vtrjock »

Took the beast out for it's excersise run today and lo and behold it struggled to turn the motor over. Once warmed up I followed the recommended procedure for putting some juice back in by dialing in 140 + for a couple of mile on the A50. :wink: Didn't work, but it felt great and sounded awesome !
Anyhow, pulled up to the Bikeshop in L/Eaton where the guys advise me not to bother with the standard 39 quid battery but to go for the serious 59 quid version.....as the storm takes quite a bit of throwing over..especially in the cold weather.
Worth the extra spondoolies I presume?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

vtrjock,

is your battery actually shagged or not though? How long since you started you bike and does it have an alarm? If it has an alarm then just 10days of sitting there doing nothing can take enough out of the battery to make starting abit iffy. If it needs a new battery buy one, buy the normal one and buy an optimate battery charger with the difference against the dear battery. You can then leave the charger on all the time, it chargers, monitors and can recover sh1t batteries. I wound nip down the shop and buy the charger first and then see how the battery is. Who told ya doing 140+ would charge ya battery or is it wind powered?

Del.
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

Del,

mmm...it does have a good imobiliser fitted and it has been stood for a couple of weeks. Didn't think of the alarm draining it..doh. I took it for about a 15 mile blast to put a bit of juice back in and was surprised afterwards at how slow it turned over..but...it was darkish and I had the lights on all the time?
I shall go forthwith and get a charger to check it out.

As for who told me that 140 charges the battery up.....nah!....just another lame excuse to rip the tarmac up I'm afraid. :twisted:

.mind you...I used to work around Vulcan bombers years ago..and they had a little prop operated gennie that would come down into the airstream in case of Hydraulic failre.....mm..I wonder? Nah..knowin my luck, the prop'd spin up, come loose and go through me fekkin brake lines or someat!!

cheers Del

Andy
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Andy,

no probs matey

Del. :wink:
elmer fud

battery charger

Post by elmer fud »

eyup jock,
I managed to pick up an oxford oximiser from the nec for the father in law.
It was from raceway motorcycles of fleetwood and was £24.
seemed a good buy to me,so it might be worth giving them a bell to see if they have any more at that price.
Dave.
Take it to bits, put back together, nothing left in box...woohoo!
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

Aaarghhhh..too late Dave!!

Picked one up from the Bikeshop yesterday at £29.95....doh.

I'm not impatient......just gotta get one now, quick before they've all gone...c'mon, c'mon where's me wallet ?!!**!!
:D

thanks anyway......looks a good bit of kit mind. I went a bit over the top and bought a nice little heater for the garage n all......don't want the storm getin cold on a dark winters night !! :wink:
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

you think that's bad I sit with mine for 5 minutes a day just incase they get lonely or jealous cos I use the black one every day.

Sadgit :cry:
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

Ahhhh..tis good to be amongst like minded peeps !! :D