The Firestorm UK logo at the top there ^^

General Biker Banter
Murv

The Firestorm UK logo at the top there ^^

Post by Murv »

Has it always looked like that or has it changed recently?

Don't remember the UK bit before?
Xenocide

Re: The Firestorm UK logo at the top there ^^

Post by Xenocide »

'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

MMmm, that's weird. Strange how the way back machine picks it up and I'm wondering whether it's linking to the present image banner, but keeping the content way back.

I seem to recall It changing when they upgraded the site. They defo either changed the colour and messed up the shade of Blue or messed up their colour profile calibrations between apps when saving. And they changed the size of it. I remember pointing it at the time and asking them to improve it. It drives me mad when an image banner does not resize the same and falls outside the rest of the layout. I have a feeling the firstorm logo was also, either resized or changed and the larger UK was added on. The only UK they had was in the tagline, "The UK's Numbe...."

I think you may be on to something there Murv. It's a shame I don't have any screenshots before they updated the PHP and changed the template. The old banner and site template used to be Grey :think: or was it just the template that was grey and the banner was a lighter shade of Blue. :think: Mmm my memory banks need upgrading.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Murv

Post by Murv »

Somethings going on...

I hate this getting old malarky, I feel like some old boy who's just woken himself by farting looking round all puzzled whilst everyone else in the room just looks on laughing.

Nope, I'm convinced of it, that's a recent change and the old screenshot is, as you say, linking to the "new" banner :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Correctly colour matched to template replacement logo > bluelogo.png

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's not a recent change. I think it was around last August when it all got updated.
that's a recent change and the old screenshot is, as you say, linking to the "new" banner :thumbup:
I was referring to the link that Xenocide (why do I think xcode all the time when referring to you :roll: ) Yes the way back machine, they may be hotlinking.

Murv when was the last time cleared your browser cache. It would be good idea to do that, you may find it helps. Maybe you browser is caught in a time warp. Seriously though, clear your browser cache and have another look at the site. You might as well clean out all you cookies at the same time while your at it. Unless you using Explorer in which case your browser is extremely sick and needs exterminating.

Murv

Post by Murv »

I suspect it's my brain caught in a time warp quite honestly...

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have no idea how to do any of that. I've waved a large stick at it, I'm sure that will help :D
chric

Post by chric »

:confused yes it's changed for me or is it because ive only had two hours sleep in two days :think:
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Correctly colour matched to template replacement logo
Nearly. I have just scrolled over with the digital colour meter set on 8bit Hex and had a look, but bearing in mind the compression the exact number changes as I scroll around, Yours is not to bad, but there is loads of compression on the site banner.

OK this what I'm reading, yours is 00428B
The site banner is 242D8E
And the background template which can just be picked out at he edges is 213A8C

They are just approximate, I bet if I pulled you pic and opened it in PS it would come up with a different hex code again.

Yours is more of a petrol Blue and the site background is more towards Royal Blue. The site banner is even more so (pretty much as close to) Royal Blue. Yeh I know names mean nothing, but I think you know what I mean.

TBH I don't think whoever deals with the site coding, design and layout will change it anyway as the site seems to have been left and is not having the (I can't think of the word) but if I was still in the decorating game I would call it snagging, done. sh1t, my brain has gone, I can't think of the appropriate term.

Murv is it contagious. :lol:

chric

Post by chric »

how do these sites work carl forums that is as there dont seem to be any advertisers on here is someone out of pocket for it :?:
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good question Chris and TBH I don't know who's behind it all and if and how it's paid for. I suspect it's all maintained purely by volunteers who do it out the goodness of their heart and I have not looked up any of the hosting info in detail, but I suspect it's getting hosted free somehow. Otherwise someone is going to be out of pocket somewhere for the domain name and hosting space.

If I can be bothered I might do a domain lookup. There should be the owners email there somewhere amongst other details. The server is in Denmark as I have a little flag icon that comes up in my browser. And the IP (address) is 46.30.211.56 http://geoip.flagfox.net/?ip=46.30.211. ... tr1000.org

I just had a quick look. As it's publicly out there anyway, I will post the details http://whois.domaintools.com/vtr1000.org
Looks like our Scottish friends are running the show.

If there was any problems with the hosting or whatever I for one would be willing to donate towards the cause. Someone must be out of pocket. Some sites I belong to have a donate button via Paypal to pay towards the up-keep of the site. They have a progress bar that gives the level of funding and when it drops to critical you know funds are required to keep it going.

Last edited by VTRDark on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

but there is loads of compression on the site banner.
The site banner logo is an indexed png 8

But yes frustratingly colour can warp when capturing & processing

I generally prefer to use the transparent png 24 as it saves a lot of trial & error even if it's a slightly larger file size. Esp when clients want to chop and change the colour of the template http://www.jhepburn.co.uk/incinco2/ :-)

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have just been looking at that using the Web Developer Toolbar. Looked at the colour info and the two Blues that come close are #105289 and #115098 I then grabbed the following.

Opened it in PS and sampled the colour and it comes up as 21428c.

What one needs is the same colour profile. If everyone worked with the same profiles it would be too easy. LOL
I generally prefer to use the transparent png 24 as it saves a lot of trial & error even if it's a slightly larger file size
Well with added Alpha channel it will be a larger file size. I'm not sure how it make any difference with solid colours though. PNG is a better option over gif as I think it supports more colours. It does compress more than a gif, but they are both lossless compressions. Maybe having the Alpha allows for those small discrepancies in colour.

Using the same colour profiles throughout apps and machines is more important for consistency.

This is how it done (:-}) :wink: :lol:
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Ok a bit of forum history...

Al (up in Scotland) 'owns' the site to the best of my knowledge. I originally had a VTR gallery site with the aforementioned logo, and Al had set up a forum for VTRs so we joined them up. Al took care of hosting and the forum side, and when I sold my VTR and had other bikes for a few years I had nothing to do with the site other than pop in every now and then.

I can remember for some reason (forum problems I think which may have been when the site got hacked or corrupted) having to re-create the little Firestorm UK logo from scratch, which I did withy meagre photoshop skills and in a bit of a rush, knowing full well that despite best efforts the colours would have changed a bit. That's probably why it's still not quite right as its no doubt been copied over when the site was re-hosted.

What's strange is that I happen upon this thread years later where people are discussing the exact colour codes and story behind one little logo. Sorta feels like Lister and the ships cat.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks for the info, very interesting. Obviously yourself and others help to keep it going and maintain it out of the goodness of your hearts which is much appreciated and I will personally buy you a wee dram or whatever your tipple is for your help, if I get to meet you when I'm Oop North one day :wink: (and to anyone reading this, no I'm not sucking up, I just just like to show appreciation where it's deserved) So who finances the hosting and domain or are we lucky enough to have some freebie space or someone doing a favour.
What's strange is that I happen upon this thread years later where people are discussing the exact colour codes and story behind one little logo. Sorta feels like Lister and the ships cat.
That's funny! You can blame me for the colour thing. I'm being picky. Correction, no, it's your fault :lol: At least we not discussing religion again.

Now back to motorbikes. :thumbup: