Frame paint...

General Bike chat
vtrjock

Frame paint...

Post by vtrjock »

Anyone know what the paint code is for the silver on the sub-frame?
ta :?:
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

i would just take it off over the winter & get it sand blasted & powder coated, as in the long run it would be a lot less hassle & once done you can forget about it for ever. :!:
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I did a DIY job and attacked mine with a wire brush/grinder affair to get rid of andy flaky paint and signs of rust then used silver smooth hamerite paint brushed on. Not as good as powder coating but it only took a few hours all in and stopped the corrosion in its tracks.

Al.
Fluffy

I have done the same as Al...

Post by Fluffy »

On my forks and subframe, nitromorsed, wire brushed, sanded down. I used Hammerite special metals primer on both to get a good bond (as recommended by DelBoy) and then used Hammerite smooth satin black enamel.

Even if I say so myself, the finish on the forks is a 1000 times better than the Honda finish, and the subframe looks good to.

I dont do metal polishing, so this is the next best thing...

Cya

Fluffy
I see no Firestorm......
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

Mmm....I was thinking of going powder coat but was unsure whether the silver would be a good match or not (does it matter that much?) The frame it joins to is brush polished isn't it ? (too cold to go out side to look..what a wimp).
Used smootherite on the LCs b4 with pretty cool results, may consider it. I vowed not to do it again though as by the time I'd bought several cans ....it would have been cheaper to have it coated! About £20 down the road.

Am I right in presuming the subframe wouldn't polish up? :?:
Fluffy

subframe wont...

Post by Fluffy »

polish up to well, its mild steel, Daz tried it and ended up sending it off to get chromed.

I was going to get mine nickel plated originally but have better use of the £70 odd quid it would cost.

cya

fluffy
I see no Firestorm......
Stormtrooper

Post by Stormtrooper »

Just get it powder coated :wink: its the time of year to get it done ,before the spring & you know in the long run it makes sence!
& you can have it powder coated in any colour you want :D
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Stormtrooper wrote:Just get it powder coated :wink: its the time of year to get it done ,before the spring & you know in the long run it makes sence!
& you can have it powder coated in any colour you want :D
Powder coating is the way to go. I didn't have the time to take the sub frame off and without a garage it's a pain in the butt. I wouldn't worry about the colour match. If you look at the origonal colour anyway it's quite different from the alloy frame. There's very little of it visible anyway so it's hardly noticeable.

Al.
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

Ok....sold to the man with the powder coater !
Pink it is !! (joke)

cheers geezas

:)