Nuts and Bolts

General Biker Banter
MacKrell17

Nuts and Bolts

Post by MacKrell17 »

I know it's been asked before but where is the best place to purchase stainless and Ti replacement nuts and bolts....
I also need some new exhaust studs and figure stainless are probably the best... Please let me know if this isn't correct.
Cheers
scrowe

Re: Nuts and Bolts

Post by scrowe »

Depending on the application stainless is perfect! most places that do stainless sets are bleeding expensive but you can get bags of bolts of Ebay. I got a box of stainless allen head bolts, nuts and washers and contained most of the common sizes you'll need for engine cases and other bits £20 from Fast Pack fasteners in York. they stock most lengths, diameter and tread pitch bolts you'll ever need for peanuts!

I wont use stainless on brake discs and the like because of the shearing force which stainless can't deal with as well as mild steel.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

http://bit.ly/RW2CeY
I use this seller on eBay for s/s bolts
Good honest fast service and I've used them a lot :-)
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

For Ti bit's & bobs I have used this firm -
http://www.torontocycles.com/
on the recommendation of mik_str and found them really good. I have also used Disco Volante moto -
http://www.discovolantemoto.co.uk/
He does a rather more limited range but is cheap in comparison to some of the E Bay suppliers. Recently updated his website as well with some interesting bits for Cafe Racers (Styler/Flatliner).
Good luck :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bluestoesonnose

Post by bluestoesonnose »

Got a great place here in Plymouth, not often I've had them stumped, though I'm not into Ti, if I wanted better power to weight I'd get a Blade or something.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Not into Ti! Not into Ti! For god's sake man whats wrong with you. Got to love the precious, hmmmmm lovely, lovely Titanium. :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bluestoesonnose

Nor Carbon, I mean why would you, it's like going to Argos and buying fake gold bling, awful stuff IMO
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I have to agree with kev on the ti and carbon :-)
I have recently taken a liking to it :-) .

What's wrong with you !!! Lol
bluestoesonnose

Man down, someone call the taste police

:D :D :D :D :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Carbon nuts and bolts :think: now there's a thought. :biggrin If I was to buy Titanium bolts, it wouldn't be for weight but the anti corrosion resistance. Even stainless steel still rusts (depending on quality) eventually. :roll:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bluestoesonnose wrote:Man down, someone call the taste police

:D :D :D :D :D
They are far to busy investigating Chric at the moment, it's a very complicated, time consuming case. They may be some time...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bluestoesonnose

Carl, if you go for good quality stainless it'll be ok (316 or similar) however it will corrode in a low oxygen environment, just put some grease, Alu-Slip or similar on the hidden bits and you'll be toppers.

Ti, gauls so you have to use speical grease on it if you ever want it to come undone agan, Ti also work hardens like copper so will fail, think about that if you're fitting it to any safety critical areas.
MacKrell17

Post by MacKrell17 »

Interesting that we have someone who doesn't like the bling. I thought Ti was stronger than stainless so would have used on discs and calipers.... Not now though. I learn something new everyday! but the nut and bolt upgrade is for the anti corrosion aspect rather than weight saving. If I was that keen to reduce weight I'd go on a diet and upgrade the bike battery... In that order.
Oh well..... :Beer Popcorn:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

There are different grades of stainless, and Ti as well, just make sure you use the correct grade.
Google's your friend, unless someone on here would care to share the grade/spec/recommended use knowledge.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.