changed bars and indicators won't work?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
alternative_vtr

changed bars and indicators won't work?

Post by alternative_vtr »

Hi folks, I have changed my bars for VFR bars and now my right side indicators don't work correctly :(
The lefts flash fine but right side now has a rear flashing mega fast and front not at all, at first I thought ahh front bulb has gone so swapped it but still the same. So when taking off the switchgear (flasher switch side of course) I must have damaged something there even though I was careful? So what can have gone wring with the switchgear in the bars that would effect only the right side and give these symptoms? Any advice appreciated as it would help to know what to look for, I am crap at electrics :(
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
AMCQ46

Re: changed bars and indicators won't work?

Post by AMCQ46 »

it wont be the switch as you are getting power to RH side, just not front & back, it will be the connector to the rest of the wiring loom.

you need to just work through the connector blocks from the front
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I haven't taken the switchgear apart so I can't help there with the internals, but have you checked the wire hasn't disconnected at the indicator end. The front fairing ones come loose sometimes quite easily as it only bullet type connectors.

How did you get on with the rest of the bars. I would have thought you would have fitted them ages ago.

Al you beat me to it, but I will post anyway :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
NHSH

Post by NHSH »

+1 no switch issue, most likely it is just the connector to the indicator but you can also check on the actual light bulb if it's not dead, or see if it seated right in the socket
You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists for psycho therapy. All I need is cycle therapy
alternative_vtr

Hi, ok just a big coincidence then. I know Carl it's took me ages to get round to it, not tried them on a ride as got them fitted yesterday and am fitting heated grips at the same time so waiting to buy grips. I just found out the indicators don't work so bought a bulb today thinking that must be it but no joy :( I will have a look at connectors on front right hand indicator and bulb again then tomorrow night.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
seb421

Post by seb421 »

NHSH wrote:+1 no switch issue, most likely it is just the connector to the indicator but you can also check on the actual light bulb if it's not dead, or see if it seated right in the socket
+ 1

its probably either come loose or if you have plugged them in you have plugged them in the wrong way round etc
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
alternative_vtr

Hi, no not unplugged switchgear, just undone screws and eased apart then slid off old bars and on new then tightened screws back up. I will turn attention to the front right indy and connectiin to it. Just seems such a coincidence that was all.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You will probably find the connectors tucked up behind a bendy tab just at the base of the rear of headlight unit towards the corner. Just bend the tab forward and you can pull the wiring out. It should be a bullet and receptacle (male and female) type electrical terminal, unless someone has cut them and changed in the past.

Make sure the bars don't touch the tank on full lock, you may have to adjust them slightly. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
alternative_vtr

Well I have been faffing around trying to find out why the indicators were not working and it turned out to be a furry/partly corroded bulb socket :? I cleaned it up and sprayed it with ACF50 and it works great now.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
seb421

Post by seb421 »

alternative_vtr wrote:Well I have been faffing around trying to find out why the indicators were not working and it turned out to be a furry/partly corroded bulb socket :? I cleaned it up and sprayed it with ACF50 and it works great now.
Leave the indiy on for a bit once you have got it working,

found in the past if they have stopped and then ive jangled them and they have flashed again if i leave them on for a few mins it stops it happening again, the bike being ridden in heavy rain and then sat in a garage doesn't do them any favours with the connections as they aren't used much so don't often have power going through them, i think leaving them on for a few mins helps burn off the oxidization?
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
alternative_vtr

I think you are spot on with that as the last time I rode was the other week where I rode for 110 miles in rain and fog.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White