New vs Old Model

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
leevtr

New vs Old Model

Post by leevtr »

Not sure if this is and old subject...

I am aware that the later storm has differences in power than the old one ( or so I thought ) and I was wondering where Honda made the changes.

The reason for asking is I just fitted DJ kit to my 1999, as per DJ recommendations, which were 180 jets in both carbs and mixture screw 2 turns out from seated, needles set on 4th ring.

Seems to me fine, pulls really well everywhere. Would these settings be the same on a later model ?? Or were the changes in power from old to new model, alterations in the fuel delivery ??
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Re: New vs Old Model

Post by VTRDark »

I think you will find the slight loss in power with the later ones came form the later emissions added to it, so no biggie. I have still yet to work out exactly what the differences are regarding emissions and possibly carbs.

I did have a link somewhere that listed the difference between the early and later models. I will try and find it.

Here you go http://www.burniemorgan.com/firestorm/vtr2001.html

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
chric

Post by chric »

I think the later models faster haveing had a r reg before this one seems more off the mark and off.or if I'm wrong there can't be that much difference
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

With regards to power the differences are negligible. A new model would feel like it has more if it was compared to an older worn out storm that's hard a hard life. But on the other hand A well looked after early storm with low miles and has had an easy life would seem to have more power than a later one that has had a hard life with high mileage or is Blue. :roll: The best thing with the later models is the slightly bigger tank and clip on angles changed slightly for more comfort, also the fork upgrade.

leevtr

Post by leevtr »

My querie is to wether the carb settings are the same or not.

As for worn out....my old storm was showing about 38,000 when dyno'd at 115. DSD figures, not mine.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The carbs themselves as far as I'm aware are visually the same. But Honda say there where minor carb and ignition changes. So they may have tweaked some of the internal passage ways inside the carb. But as far as jetting and carb settings go it will differ slightly from country to country and changes in altitude, humidity etc. As far as the UK goes I think they put a 48 pilot jet in as standard whereas some of the early models had a 45. A 48 pilot could be the minor change they talk about.
As for worn out....my old storm was showing about 38,000 when dyno'd at 115. DSD figures, not mine.
That don't mean anything. TBH unless there had been some internal engine upgrades ie cams, pistons 115 is a bit optimistic for a standard Storm. Maybe the dyno operator massaged the figures for you. Quite often dyno runs are only for bragging rights "my Storm has more HP/torque than your Storm" type of thing. Customers are usually more interested in max HP and not driveability. Or maybe the dyno had not been calibrated that day for the weather conditions, temp, humidity, altitude, etc. There's too many variables involved with dyno runs.

leevtr

Post by leevtr »

cybercarl wrote:The carbs themselves as far as I'm aware are visually the same. But Honda say there where minor carb and ignition changes. So they may have tweaked some of the internal passage ways inside the carb. But as far as jetting and carb settings go it will differ slightly from country to country and changes in altitude, humidity etc. As far as the UK goes I think they put a 48 pilot jet in as standard whereas some of the early models had a 45. A 48 pilot could be the minor change they talk about.
That don't mean anything. TBH unless there had been some internal engine upgrades ie cams, pistons 115 is a bit optimistic for a standard Storm. Maybe the dyno operator massaged the figures for you. Quite often dyno runs are only for bragging rights "my Storm has more HP/torque than your Storm" type of thing. Customers are usually more interested in max HP and not driveability. Or maybe the dyno had not been calibrated that day for the weather conditions, temp, humidity, altitude, etc. There's too many variables involved with dyno runs.

Yeah I was surprised at 115, but it was the same dyno that showed 127 for my SP1, and that had full system, PC3 and K&N's. and that's not a particularly high reading, so who knows.

My point was I don't think just because they are old and have a little bit of mileage on, they automatically get tired. Personally I think a well looked after and maintained Storm will probably make more power at 30k than one with 5k on the clock.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

One of the bike mags, or MCN, did a comparison between 2 identical bikes. One was run in as per the makers instructions, the other ragged from the word go. The one which was used hardest produced a higher power output and felt looser.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
rob...

Post by rob... »

honda say they changed the carbs and ignition a bit on the later ones..... carbs are about £50, the 2 ignition boxes can be got for about a tenner a box on e-bay... do a back-to-back on the same bike, on the same dyno, on the same day.
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Only asked because someone with a later model asked about jetting, and I got to wondering if my settings would possibly work on theirs.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Older models made more power, later ones have blanking plates in the inlet tracts to smooth low power delivery. Earlier models tested in Bike and MCN with a top end of 155-157.5mph, later ones 144 mph.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Lee, I can't really add anything to your carb question, but as others have mentioned the earlier ones (16ltr fuel tank models) did make around on average 5bhp more than the later ones, going by what the bike mag tests showed between the two.

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

sirch345 wrote:Lee, I can't really add anything to your carb question, but as others have mentioned the earlier ones (16ltr fuel tank models) did make around on average 5bhp more than the later ones, going by what the bike mag tests showed between the two.

Chris.
and if its an early black one you get lots more than a newer blue one :silent:
playerone

Post by playerone »

got a new model red and old model black and although its about a year and a half since I rode the red one, it doesn't feel like there's much difference between them
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydiecbr wrote:

Chris.
and if its an early black one you get lots more than a newer blue one :silent:[/quote]

:lol:

playerone wrote:got a new model red and old model black and although its about a year and a half since I rode the red one, it doesn't feel like there's much difference between them
It's not going to make a huge difference with those two models, as the Red one is fastest regardless :lol: only kidding :wink:

Chris.