**IMPORTANT INFO** for all Operation Storms/Meet & Rides

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

geodude

**IMPORTANT INFO** for all Operation Storms/Meet & Rides

Post by geodude »

Please only post questions in this thread if you are unsure of any of the following.

Operation Storm/Meet & Rides rides are organised for the benefit of all members and their guests.

Remember that riding decisions are yours and yours alone. RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE!!

The Run Leaders & Backmarkers have done this a few times before. We will be counting on your co-operation throughout the run.

BRIEFING As not all of you will be at the start, it is important that all participants read and understand this briefing before the run. Please ask questions if necessary. You will be expected to recognise the Run Leader and Backmarker, to know where the stops will be and also understand the marker system being used for the day.

FULL TANK OF FUEL Please arrive at the start with a full tank of fuel so that you can all stop at the same time to fill up. Please do take the opportunity to fill up when we stop at a fuel stop.

KEEP AN EYE on the rider behind you. If they are out of sight for more than 2/3 minutes, please slow down and allow the rider to catch up. If they do not appear, stop and wait. If after some time they do not appear, retrace your steps to the last place you saw them and await the remainder of the group. (Markers stay put!)

TO LEAVE A RUN. It is essential that you tell the back marker when you intend to leave the run, if you don’t, everyone will be searching for you!

STOPPING ON ROUTE Do not obstruct the road, keep well in to the kerb, but make sure that the next rider and the back marker can clearly see you.

PAIR UP at cross roads, traffic lights and road junctions to help keep the group together.

PRINT A MAP of the area and knowledge of the destination can be useful if you become separated from the group

OVERTAKING EACH OTHER. Please maintain your position in the group. Only overtake if others request you to do so as this can mess up the marking system and leads to people not knowing who is supposed to be marking and breaking up the group.

THE MARKING SYSTEM USED
1. At all junctions and turns, including exits off roundabouts, the rider who is directly behind the run leader becomes the `MARKER`
2. The Marker must stop to indicate to each of the following riders the correct direction to take.
3. Stop in a safe place where you can be seen clearly, before junctions, on exits, not hidden around side turns.
4. Leaving an indicator on, or a hand signal, can be useful.
5. The Marker must wait until all riders have passed and then re-join the group in front of the back marker. If the back marker passes you for safety or some other reason, once you have caught up, you will be allowed to pass and re-join the group.
6. The Marker must stay in their position until either the back marker or the run leader collects them.

Please take your responsibility as a marker seriously. If you have not marked before, please start near the back so you get to see it in action. It's really simple especially with Al leading :thumbup:
Last edited by geodude on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
AMCQ46

Re: Important Info for Operation Storm-Destination Derbyshir

Post by AMCQ46 »

just to reiterate a few things that George has already put in the notes above.

There have been cases where the run leader has been charged because people following him were caught speeding and because they were trying to "catch up" to the leader it somehow became his fault as well. Sounds like madness but that is the world we live in now, hence you can understand why I will stress the following:

You must ride at your own pace, dont feel that you have to chase the guy infront, dont get pressurised to follow someone on an overtake that looks risky, and dont speed through 30 / 40 limits to make up time worrying that you will be left behind etc. With the 2nd man drop off marking system and the fixed tail gunner you will never get left behind, there will always be a bike waiting at every junction where you deviate from the straight through road, and there will always be George at the back sweeping up.

Some of the roads we will ride are well known biker roads and on a sunny Saturday they will attract police presence, so you need to keep your eyes open.
It is well known that the Cat & Fiddle road has 50mph average speed cameras, but the good part is that there is less chance of a surprise speed trap. Last time I rode the Snake Pass we were followed by helicopters!!! and I am told they are most strict about overtaking on solid white lines, but I am sure they are watching for silly speeds as well.
even the A6 could have speed vans sitting in laybys, I have seen them in a number of places.

You are responsible for the speed you are riding and your own safety, you know the highway code and you make your own judgements. etc

Note that this is not supposed to frighten anybody, I wont be setting off at crazy speeds so dont worry :D I just want everybody to have fun :thumbup:
AMcQ
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I have never road in convoy like this before. May need someone to show me what we are doing at junctions ext as so I know exactally what to do. Don't fancy messing up. I shall get to the Vic around half 9 if someone can explain this to me. I do not cope well with interpriting words from paper so voice makes more sence for me to understand. Sorry dyslexic.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Ckennedy wrote:I have never road in convoy like this before. May need someone to show me what we are doing at junctions ext as so I know exactally what to do. Don't fancy messing up. I shall get to the Vic around half 9 if someone can explain this to me. I do not cope well with interpriting words from paper so voice makes more sence for me to understand. Sorry dyslexic.
No problem, see you at the Vic :thumbup:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: and there will always be George at the back sweeping up.
:thumbup:
Cor blimey Mary Poppins, we'll have a roight auld time, we will, Richard Van Driver stylee.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
geodude

Important Info for Operation Storms/Meet & Rides

Post by geodude »

tony.mon wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote: and there will always be George at the back sweeping up.
:thumbup:
Cor blimey Mary Poppins, we'll have a roight auld time, we will, Richard Van Driver stylee.
Only just seen this. PMSL!!
Last edited by geodude on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
edds11

Re: Important Info for Operation Storm-Destination Derby 201

Post by edds11 »

Ckennedy, just seen your post, don't apologise, explain as you have done, you are not alone, all will be fine on the day. have you noticed something about my writing style. :wink:
geodude

Post by geodude »

edds11 wrote:Ckennedy, just seen your post, don't apologise, explain as you have done, you are not alone, all will be fine on the day. have you noticed something about my writing style. :wink:
lol @ edds11

This was from last year matey and Ck did just fine :thumbup:
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

just to add to the guides from george & al.....

when snorting a line of cars, stay in the outside lane with your right indi on to signal those behind it is safe to overtake.
you have a clearer view of the road as the first overtaker.
only pull in when you have to - this will signal those behind that there is oncoming traffic and it is not safe to pass.

as the front overtaker, when you pull in, leave room for the rider behind to slot in beside you by tucking in to the left - dont cut your mates off! :Ball Kick:

this works very well with a group and can help prevent us getting split up, therefore reducing the amount of riding time we waste regrouping.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Good tip benny...that's exactly what the police bikers do, they will overtake blind as long as the lead bike stays in the overtake lane telling them it is clear. And same for pulling into a gap...don't sit in the middle as there is another 6 bikes going to try and get in too, so you go in fast and get into the front left of the space then brake so you don't impede the following riders
AMcQ
edds11

Post by edds11 »

geo....was talking about his Dyslexia and although the ride was last year his Dyslexia will definitely still be around......
geodude

Important Info for Operation Storms/Meet & Rides

Post by geodude »

edds11 wrote:geo....was talking about his Dyslexia and although the ride was last year his Dyslexia will definitely still be around......
Duh @ me!! lol
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

edds11 wrote:Ckennedy, just seen your post, don't apologise, explain as you have done, you are not alone, all will be fine on the day. have you noticed something about my writing style. :wink:
Took me a while, but there's no capital H on have.
Do I win?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
edds11

Re: Important Info for Operation Storms/Meet & Rides

Post by edds11 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anotherbikerbabe

Re: Important Info for Operation Storms/Meet & Rides

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Sound advice if you ask me, I've been on (or organised) a few big ride outs in their hundreds and you always get one or two knackers who think just because they ride fast, that makes them good riders. :thumbdown: ..Erm...uhhh errrrr..Not..I can ride fast when I want to, I filter really well,I'm not afraid of oncoming traffic, I keep my cool 8) and I always drop in to the left to let another rider in beside me as 'some' cars think they own the road and try to close the gaps! I never leave anyone out there!

It is not a race but a journey to the destination for all to enjoy and you know, sometime,s if you fly somewhere at god knows what speeds and get home thinking "christ, that was close" 8O it is so not worth it!..the Scenery gets missed, the moment lost if it is a nice good dry day etc and I have mates who don't like to ride very fast as lack confidence for now but I tell them,it'll come, just get the miles under your belt, go out on your own, under your steam,get to really know your bike and never let anyone push to beyond your own comfort zone as we all have our own way of riding. as long as you are safe, respect other riders around you, leave them room, let them know it is safe ahead etc all will be well. The solid white lines are there for a reason and you shouldn't overtake on them anyway :eek2 but I know (from Dave being a driving instructor) there is an exception to that rule somewhere regarding a slow moving vehicle :angel: but cannot remember atm..something like 15 or 20 miles an hour or something like a tractor etc..

End of the day, any fool can ride fast, the skill is in the stopping! :clap: I for one, love my bike and like my body the way it is and do not intend to do anything to put either in harms way! Cheers dudes, see you all September! :beer: :beer: :beer:

p.s I don't ride like a woos! lol..
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!