scott02464

Super blackbird

Post by scott02464 »

Has anyone owned/got one of these?

What did/do you think to them?
leevtr

Re: Super blackbird

Post by leevtr »

scott02464 wrote:Has anyone owned/got one of these?

What did/do you think to them?
Mate has one, had a storm before. Loves it. I've ridden it a few times. Very good all round bike but a bit character less.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Ridden one for a few days, I was impressed how it made going fast a very calm and smooth affair. Comfy fast tourer that will see a lot of sportsbikes off.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Cheers lee, Iv always loved them. In a couple of years me and our lass would like to do a bit of touring on the bike. And tbh I don't think the storm cuts the mustard with fuel range hard seat etc

So eventually it's inevitable but don't like the characterless bit, that's the bit That will make me regret giving up the storm.... :-(
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Yes, the fuel range thing is a royal pain. I was going to sell the bike for this reason, but I'm going to get the bigger tank, one way or another. Only 3 litres but every little helps, and a damn site cheaper than changing the bike.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

For sports Touring you wont get much better than a Blackbird. My mate had one for years and now regrets selling it. It's quite a big heavy lump compared to the storm and then there's the insurance being a bit steeper than the Storm. I personally don't think they look too bad and age well. If only it had the V-Twin then it would be like a big Storm.

(:-})
Last edited by VTRDark on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
==============================Enter the Darkside
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Yeah I just looked and the blackbird has a 23l tank! Another 7l more... Wow the thought of that is great!

My bro has a vfr, he came up here from Sheffield to go out for a ride on the bikes, I said do you need some fuel before we go? He said naa (laughing) he fuelled up when he left Sheffield and will get home on what he had!

If I went to see him on the storm I'd have to bloody fuel up to come home and it's only 60 mile away!
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

cybercarl wrote:For sports Touring you wont get much better than a Blackbird. My mate had one for years and now regrets selling it. It's quite a big heavy lump compared to the storm and then there's the insurance being a bit steeper than the Storm. I personally don't think they look too bad and age well. If only it had the V-Twin then it would be like a big Storm.

im on the lookout for a good one atm!! need it for work and touring france next year, and having just sold the storm to a forum member today :cry: im sure they'll be along soon with a big cheesy grin :biggrin
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

cybercarl wrote:For sports Touring you wont get much better than a Blackbird. My mate had one for years and now regrets selling it. It's quite a big heavy lump compared to the storm and then there's the insurance being a bit steeper than the Storm. I personally don't think they look too bad and age well. If only it had the V-Twin then it would be like a big Storm.

I think it's deffo going to be my next bike. Iv always said I would keep the storm if I ever got another bike, but then it's two lots of everything then, tax insurance etc...

I just don't want to regret giving up the storm when it comes round to it?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think the best thing to do is to take one for a test ride first. It' going back to an IL4 but with such a big lump in it, you wouldn't have to rev the bollox off of it like a smaller IL4. You may miss the engine braking though. And with regards to insurance, I think the fuel economy would make up for it. :thumbup:

scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Yeah I think that's the best way mate, test it and go from there.

Do you recon the insurance will be that much more? Iv not really thought about that side of it, so it's a good point!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

According to MCN the storm is group 14 and the Blackbird is 16 so two groups up.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/biker ... 7-current/

scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Lol I was just reading that :-)

I have always been known to swap my vehicles inc cars every 6 months or so due to just wanting somet different, but I still love the storm after a year and half and don't want to be too hasty :lol: