Scotland West Coast 15-20ish May

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

Beamish

Scotland West Coast 15-20ish May

Post by Beamish »

I know this is during the Storm meet but I wondered if anyone was out and about in this area or fancied joining up for a ride out at some point. I am totally open to suggestions I will have a tent packed but if the weather turns really nasty B+B's will be a back up. I will be coming up the West via Carlisle (calling in on a mate) and at some point take a rip over the East to Aberdeen (also to see a mate) I want to go anywhere that includes travelling along great roads. Any and all are welcome :thumbup:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Beamish

Re: Scotland West Coast 15-20ish May

Post by Beamish »

Definately staying at Applecross one night 16th I reckon :biggrin
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

I'll be up that neck of the woods from 1June onwards for a quick tour, I think we're in Applecross on 2nd June going from Ft William to Inverness. Hope the weather is fair!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I guess thats a no then.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Sorry Jim. Bike-less at the moment so I aint going out playing with anyone :(
Rich.

simo

Post by simo »

Still haven't called our(2 of us) trip off yet. Going up East side across top. Third night Ullapool,should be coming down to Ft William Tuesday 15th probably top up fuel. @ Lockcarron but that's as close as we'll be to Applecross. :biggrin
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Sorry folks- Missed this one.. dohh.
Can't do mid week am afraid, just jumped jobs and they've got me all over the bloody place.
Just remember the waterproofs and 2nd or may be 3rd set of gloves..
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

simo wrote:Still haven't called our(2 of us) trip off yet. Going up East side across top. Third night Ullapool,should be coming down to Ft William Tuesday 15th probably top up fuel. @ Lockcarron but that's as close as we'll be to Applecross. :biggrin

Damn! Shame, I am staying Carlisle 15th, Applecross 16th, Aberdeen 17th, Yarm 18th (funny stops I know but I am visting some friends on the way)
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

grumpyfrog wrote:Sorry folks- Missed this one.. dohh.
Can't do mid week am afraid, just jumped jobs and they've got me all over the bloody place.
Just remember the waterproofs and 2nd or may be 3rd set of gloves..

Yep, you are not wrong! I will be as water tight as money allows :biggrin
simo

Post by simo »

Beamish wrote:
simo wrote:Still haven't called our(2 of us) trip off yet. Going up East side across top. Third night Ullapool,should be coming down to Ft William Tuesday 15th probably top up fuel. @ Lockcarron but that's as close as we'll be to Applecross. :biggrin

Damn! Shame, I am staying Carlisle 15th, Applecross 16th, Aberdeen 17th, Yarm 18th (funny stops I know but I am visting some friends on the way)
Well Beamish, will look out for you maybe going in the other direction. Yarm? Do you mean the Teesside. Yarm 5 miles from me?
Theres A Hare in The Turnips.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

One and the same, I am calling in on the way home.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

After getting the GSA serviced and fettled to the point of needing a proving test I set off from sunny Lincolnshire destination Scotland.
I decided to call in on a friend at Carlisle so I opted to blast up the A1 up to the Bedale junction then use the Leyburn/Hawes/Aysgarth road.

Great road with lots of gradient changes

Following a couple of beers and a night stop just out side Carlisle I ploughed on up to Glasgow then headed west past Loch Lomond/Fort William/Glencoe/Skye. The weather held out right up to the Skye bridge but then began a rain shower that would continue for the next 850 miles and three days!

The scenery all the way from Lomond up to Skye was magnificent which is more than I can say for the road surface! I have probably just been unlucky but the weather has taken its toll on some of the better routes and you relly have to pick your line and keep maximum concentration. The GSA took everything in its stride though and very rarely got out of shape.

From Skye over to Aberdeen, Aberdeen to Yarm and from Yarm to Sleaford it was like been jetwashed with an accompanying temp of between 2 degrees and 8 degrees. not worth taking any pics and to be honest it was more like an endurance trip rather than touring.

Lessons learnt:

I need an extension to the Std screen (touratech spoiler I think) as the turbulance meant I had to remove the peak from my helmet.

Although the BMW rallye 3 suit stayed water tight (which was a miracle in itself) it is decidedly cooler than my last Akito suit (which wasnt as waterproof). better quality or more layers underneath required.

The GSA now showing 2150 miles feels a lot better than before and 44mpg is becoming easier to achieve with full panniers.

Cheers.
playerone

Post by playerone »

Sounds like a hell of a trip :thumbup: and I know what u mean about the roads up there, went from the scottish borders up to kyle of lochalsh to see my brother (in the car) and couldn't believe how bad the roads where the further north I got, although across on skye itself they weren't too bad
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sounds like a great trip but unlucky with the weather...........glad you are enjoying the GS, but given your history I still think you will swap it in 12 months :D
AMcQ
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

:lol: :lol: Might just do that but at the moment its working for me. No saying I wont add to the stable if I get half the chance though!
playerone wrote:Sounds like a hell of a trip :thumbup: and I know what u mean about the roads up there, went from the scottish borders up to kyle of lochalsh to see my brother (in the car) and couldn't believe how bad the roads where the further north I got, although across on skye itself they weren't too bad
I rode the same stretch, I would not recommend half of the route to sportsbike riders as you would spend half of the time shi**ing it! I always found the Storm reasonably forgiving though over the bumpy stuff unless you were on it at a trackday pace.