Cough, Splutter, Stall, Stop..............

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RQ

Cough, Splutter, Stall, Stop..............

Post by RQ »

Ok, the Storm was running a bit rough yesterday. It felt like the choke was out a bit. No acceleration for the first few mills of throttle, then normal enough, but very rough idle. I thought maybe the choke cable was sticking, so went down to it. Off the tank, and airbox. Lubed the cable with WD40, and all back together again.
Took her out today, and all I get is 1/2 mile before it cuts out. It goes fine and as normal for the first 300m, then coughs, backfires a few times, then no acceleration at all, then just dies. Leave it for a few mins, and exact same, bout 300m bang bang die (thankfully getting me back to the house as that was up a hill!!)
Any thoughts? Airvent tubes on the tank seem fine, it still stalls when the tank cap is open. Didn't do anything else with it over the last while.
Help help!!
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

ummmmm, sounds like the vacuum fuel tap ain't working, either diaphram has a hole in it or the vac pipe has come off or has a hole in it or is kinked. Check it out though.

vac pipe connects to the rear cylinder (below to the left of the inlet rubber) and connects to the spout on the left hand side of the fuel tap (when sitting on bike).

Del.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Hi Del,
Thought about the tap, so I checked the diaphram, and it seems fine. I'll check the vac pipe again when I get home. It seems like fuel starvation is the problem, but I can't figure it. All the pipes seem fine, could it be anything to do with the air filter? It is a K&N, but was due for renewal months ago, haven't quite got around to it though :oops: I'm also wondering if any WD40 got into the choke, and would that make any difference?
Damn annoying, as it goes great for the 300m, and you are holding your breath thinking is it going to stop????????
RQ.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

RQ
Have you sorted this yet?
Had a similar problem a little while ago.
Pulled the plugs out and they were all black and sooty.
Drained the float bowls into a jar and couldn,t find any muck floating around so I then proceeded to take the carbs out for a clean. After taking the air box off I reached for a ten mm spanner to remove the throttle cables and noticed a little tin of compressed air at the back of the shelf.
Hit by a sudden bout of lazyness I grabbed the tin. Refilled the float bowls and turned the petrol off,lifted the needles and placed some tissue over the butterfly valves. Placing the nozzle of the tin over each of the little brass inlet jets(don't know proper name,low rpm fuelling circuit) I gave each inturn a short sharp blast.
Fuel came pissing up out the main needle jet (as expected) but with it came all sorts of muck which wasn't supposed to be there.
Slapped it back together and haven't had a problem since.

Pete.l
Not the proper way to do it but it worked for me :wink:
RQ

Post by RQ »

Excelent Pete, I will look into that tonight after checking the hoses. Light at the end of the tunnell!
RQ.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Just reread your original post.
You said about your filter
It is a K&N, but was due for renewal months ago
Don't waste your money replacing it 8O
Buy a "Recharger Kit" only a fraction of the price.
Clean it ya lazy bugger :wink: :wink:
RQ

Post by RQ »

I was wondering if there was another option, as Hein Gericke are looking for 70 odd quid for a filter. I don't need to start forking out cash like that if it's not necessary! I just looked around all the bloody hardware and motor factor shops for a tin of compressed air, and none to be had anywhere!! Looking at getting a cylinder of gas that is used in beer lines. I'll let you know how it goes!
RQ.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Office supplies or electronics shops should stock air in a tin. Somewhere like pcworld should sort you out.
Rich.

RQ

Post by RQ »

Ah pain in the nuts. Took the carbs off and blew them out with compressed air in the garage forecourt. All grand. No dirt in the float chambers, needles fine, jets clear, hoses not kinked, hoses not blocked........... put it all back together, and same again. :evil:
Very difficult to start. Get it going rev rev fine, idle extremely rough for a few minutes and dies. Takes a while to get going again. There is a major blank power spot between 2500 and 5000 rpm where no throttle movement makes any difference whatsoever. then it suddenly kicks in and goes for the red line. Idles and dies even with choke, and the idle speed adjuster up high. It is like it is suffocating or not getting fuel, and I am at my wits end as I can't figure it. :roll:
I rang a mechanic and he is collecting it on Tuesday. :evil: :evil:
RQ.
robin1000

Post by robin1000 »

:? All K&N's need is cleaning and re-oiling, why would you want to change it??
Bikes and scorned women don't mix!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Robin,

stop it, I can sell him a new one in exchange for his old one, I'll put the old one in the bin, honestly I will :wink:
RQ

Post by RQ »

Heh heh, next you are going to tell me that I shouldn't have been buying new wheels each time I changed my tyres or summat. :roll:

There are some things I know and lots I don't! I could strip and rebuild the engine, but I didn't know all you had to to was re oil the filter! My mission each day is to learn something new, and it doesn't have to be rocket science as we have just seen :oops:

Bike is still ferked though, and I don't think the filter has a whole lot to do with it unfortunately. Anyone any idea as to how much the diaphragm assembly on the fuel tap would cost?

Jayzus Del, I'll have two so............. just in case :wink:
RQ.
Pete.L

Post by Pete.L »

Sorry My idea didn't sort the problem RQ
Let us know what the mechanic finds out so we can add it to the list for the next person.
Just a thought :idea: you have checked /changed the plugs? they can do some funny things at times

Pete.l
Pete

Post by Pete »

Is there a fuel pump on the VTR or is it just a straight through line?(can't remember coz I've never had to check it :oops: )

I had a similar problem with my old cibby and the fuel pump was fooked
Peter Brennan.
RQ

Post by RQ »

There is a pump all right Pete, its a laugh, the Haynes manual says "To check the fuel pump, start the engine and listen for it running, or put your hand on it to check to see if it is vibrating".
Now I know we discussed Haynes being a bit daft, but surely trying to hear or feel the fuel pump running while the engine is running is a tad impossible!!!!
As I said, the most annoying thing is that this is going to turn out to be something incredibly simple! How bad, I'll get the clearances done, and he can slap in the new CCT while he is at it.
RQ.