Super unleaded

General Bike chat
Vtrkidda

Super unleaded

Post by Vtrkidda »

:x some @@nt yestaday at the petrol station tried to push past when I was just about to fill the vtr tank and I put shell optimax :oops: in because he rushed me :xI picked the wrong pump up

From what ive read it makes no diffrence but now it feels like its back firing a bit and has cut out a couple of times at lights , :(
Can this happen ive been out today it was freezing :( and trying to use it up and fill it up again with the norm

It ran great before I put that crap in

maybe it sucked some gunk into the fuel when the tank was running low :wave: :clap: :crazy:
Loud pipes save lives!
seb421

Re: Super unleaded

Post by seb421 »

Strange this i've tried it in the past filling from empty and using it for a few weeks of fill ups (every two and a half days) didn't notice a difference on the old engine

had to put it in yesterday as it was the only pump running, my Idle is set to 1200 rpm after filling with this it was iddleing at 1700 / 1800 rpm right after filling was doing my tits in at the lights when i got to work i had to turn the screw to bring it back down to 1200 ish

never happened on the old engine so wonder what caused it, also felt like it was running with less punch?
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The good news is that the Storm is really good at emptying the tank for you, so just ride it and wait a few minutes; it'll soon be time to fill up with cooking grade again.

Lucky you haven't got one of those bikes that goes for bloody miles between refills...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cliveyandrews

Super unleaded

Post by cliveyandrews »

Mine backfires and stalls on Super Unleaded too. I just use the cheaper now. Whereas, my old 7R loved it - especially with a shot of ProFST too! Things might change when I put the +4 advancer in.
=====================================================

Audi, Vide, Tace
aurantiacus tempestas es ocius

=====================================================
Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

:thumbup: thanks chaps yer ive notice this thing eats petrol and the tank is massive but takes no fuel :whatever :clap: :thumbup:
Loud pipes save lives!
chric

Post by chric »

intresting :thumbup: may be why my cans where extra noisey and getting on my tits
Ill never be a sell out storm forever

Post by Image »

Guy behind the petrol station counter told me he won't touch it because so few people use it that it stays in the pumps too long but the cheaper unleaded gets used more so is constantly refreshed.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Interesting, because many of us swear that Optimax makes the Storm smoother, this is usually shot down by those who say it can't possibly make a difference in the VTR engine owing to various factors, now some saying it runs worse. Can't be all three now can it?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Stratman wrote:Interesting, because many of us swear that Optimax makes the Storm smoother, this is usually shot down by those who say it can't possibly make a difference in the VTR engine owing to various factors, now some saying it runs worse. Can't be all three now can it?
Can be if you factor in storage times, and whether you get fresh stuff or stale old stuff.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

tony.mon wrote:
Stratman wrote:Interesting, because many of us swear that Optimax makes the Storm smoother, this is usually shot down by those who say it can't possibly make a difference in the VTR engine owing to various factors, now some saying it runs worse. Can't be all three now can it?
Can be if you factor in storage times, and whether you get fresh stuff or stale old stuff.
That's rather what I meant - it is more likely to be old fuel causing poor running after fill up not the actual fuel itself if at perfect condition. I'm not surprised the Optimax type fuels sit around a long while now given the price!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Vtrkidda

Post by Vtrkidda »

Light came on today so filled up with the norm and went on a ride out on my tod :( done around 120 mile round trip all was back to normal ,getting more confident now on the storm

with my knee down nearly theres no chicken strips left :lol: :lol: :wink:
Loud pipes save lives!
mark skett

Post by mark skett »

tried it in mine once ran like a bag of shite in a food mixer....thought with it being jetted & kn filter and cans it would be fine. but went back to normal after putting cheaper stuff in.
boz

Post by boz »

Have tried that unleaded versus super experiment lots of times now. On my Storm certainly I do fill will the super grade, but truth is that I found that it makes no difference.....I am just snobby and want the best for my bike even if I don't notice.
After all, there are lots of other possible non-performance benefits which are un-noticeable to the naked eye (or ear). Longer plug life, less crap in the bottom of the tank, carbs flow more freely etc
This wasn't the case on my last ride (GSX1000R). It did run noticeably better on the premium stuff, but was a temperamental bugger...the Storm beats it by a country mile.
The only thing I do avoid is supermarket petrol. There is a bit of an urban myth that there are all sorts of shitty additives in it....don't know if its true or not. Maybe someone can enlighten us?
The thing is, as I see it my tank has the capacity of a few coke cans so the extra spent on super won't break the bank.
CBR900rr Fireblade
templ8

Post by templ8 »

Filled mine up with v power at the weekend. Sounds much better, popping and flaming on the overrun.

However, pulling out of a busy junction today the b8stard stalled on me just as i got rolling and i nearly dropped it.

First time it's ever done that.
Was in front of a gang of school kids too, felt a right cu#t

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
seb421

Post by seb421 »

boz wrote:Have tried that unleaded versus super experiment lots of times now. On my Storm certainly I do fill will the super grade, but truth is that I found that it makes no difference.....I am just snobby and want the best for my bike even if I don't notice.
After all, there are lots of other possible non-performance benefits which are un-noticeable to the naked eye (or ear). Longer plug life, less crap in the bottom of the tank, carbs flow more freely etc
This wasn't the case on my last ride (GSX1000R). It did run noticeably better on the premium stuff, but was a temperamental bugger...the Storm beats it by a country mile.
The only thing I do avoid is supermarket petrol. There is a bit of an urban myth that there are all sorts of shitty additives in it....don't know if its true or not. Maybe someone can enlighten us?
The thing is, as I see it my tank has the capacity of a few coke cans so the extra spent on super won't break the bank.
For me I prefer the supermarket ones as they are used all the time and don't have fuel stood in shitty tanks like small town places, supermarkets are constantly refreshed

I'm thinking the guy who i got the tank off filed up in sh1t places and that's why there was so much crap in the tank, my tank i took off was spotless not a single bit of sh1t in the tank or internal gauze
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033