VTR Wannabe - Currently CBR600F - Your Views

General Bike chat
mandrake

VTR Wannabe - Currently CBR600F - Your Views

Post by mandrake »

Hi everyone - I've had a CBR600F since March - returned to biking after 20 years - done 4,000 miles so far - love the bike but.......I'm looking for something less extreme - with more low & mid-range grunt for my type of riding (fairly lazy road riding - but not slow - where I'd like to over-take without changing down a couple of cogs). I want to stick with Honda and am toying with either new VFR VTEC (phew - bit expensive) or the VTR.

I'd like your views - especially anyone who's moved up from the CBR600. For example: any known or recurring problems (like Cam Chain Tensioner on the CBR)? Are accessories like crash bungs, double bubble screen, sports rack etc easy to obtain? Are there any changes planned for the 2003 model? Is depreciation that bad from new?

Obviously I'll take a good test ride (although don't seem to be many dealers with a demonstrator - I'm down in Sussex).

Any (objective) advice & comments would be welcome. By the way - great web site and message board !! M.[/list]
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

I havent got any recent experience of the CBR600 other than racing one many moons ago at club level but I do ride VFR800s Blackbirds and V.Tech Hondas at work ( Dirty work but someones got to do it :D ) I'm about to take delivery of my second Firestorm and I have to say that while the other bikes in Hondas range may be better in some areas, for all round good times the storm is the best fun by far :lol: . You need a decent length test ride so that you have a chance to get used to the V twin characteristics. Spares and accessories are easy to get hold of and there is plenty of advice available on improving the bike. Being able to tailor the bike to youre own requirements is part of the fun of storm ownership. Tank range can be an issue :cry: depending on the type of riding you do ( about 100 miles on pre 2001 models) and suspension has been improved on later models. Hope the above helps all the best and good luck. :D
Septic

Post by Septic »

Sir, from what youve said Id say theres a good chance the VTR is the bike you are looking for, you could spend a lot more cash if you really want to but there really is no need. I may be selling mine soonish but then again maybe not, havent really decided as yet. Either way youre welcome to try it, Im in Surrey.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

ORRRR you could buy this and have all ya servicing done cheap and further mods cheap. Del.

VTR as follows, not been wet, not that i would wanna talk about it.
it's done about 2500 miles.
Front
Racing Magnesium Dymag (Red/Gold) 17"x3.5" (BT56SS)
AP 320mm GP Discs
PFM 6-pot Calipers (Black Anodised)
Revalved/Resprung '98 Blade Forks Modified for quick release mechanism
Spondon Endurance Quick Release Wheel Mechanism
Carbon/Kevlar 916 mudguard (held on with Triumph T595 clamps)
Braided hoses
AP Master cyclinder
Promach (my design) yokes (27.5mm) to take 50mm sleeved to 45mm (Grey Anodised)
Blitz headlamp, Carbon, with projector lamp and hand made Carbon mounts.
Carbon/foam dash, SPA com Tacho/Speedo/Shift Lights, SPA Digital Water/Oil Temp (White/Chrome), Hand made mounts
CR500 Renthals, Renthal Grips
All bolts are Titanium/Alloy

Rear
Spondon SB spec polished swingarm
Harris underslung rear caliper (Gold anodised)
PFM rear brake disc
Braided hose
Racing Magnesium Dymag (Red/Gold) 17"x6.25" (BT55SS)
Spondon Endurance Quick Release Wheel Mechanism
Renthal Gold Anodised Rear Sprocket
520 X ring HD Chain
Penske Race rear shock fully adjustable, length, preload, rebound & 2-stage comp (Gold/Black)

Chassis
Spondon SB spec polished modified VTR frame (Carbon inserts)
Spondon Grey (as per yokes) SB spec footrest hangers
Spondon Subframe modifed to take seat unit.
Carbon MVF4/916 seat unit with 916 Bipisto suede seat.
Hand made alloy undertray for battery/alarm/loom/coil/rear lights etc
Hand made alloy exhaust supports
Hand made Carbon exhaust hangers
Hand made complete loom incorperating Meta Cat 2 alarm/imobiliser, MCB's etc
Red Top 8 battery
Hand made alloy radiator & oil cooler mounting brackets
Hand made alloy coil mounting brackets
VTR Fuel Tank with modified fuel outlet (Red)
Private Number Plate (L7 VTR)
Extreme Steering Damper

Engine
Full Race ignition, fully mapable with software via a pc, uses standard ignitor box and modified to take standard Cdi if needed
Full Rainbow Titanium Moriwaki exhaust system
Revolution modified/vented Engine Cases
Close Ratio Gear Box
Japanese market softer clutch springs
Moriwaki forged high compression pistons
Stan Stevens Ported/Gasflowed Heads
Moriwaki Stage 1 cam shafts
Modified VTR Carbs (including pilot air jets) Factory Carb Kit
Fuel Pump
Samco water hoses
Large Setrab Oil Cooler with Braided Hoses and QD dry break oil connectors
Magnum oil filter plate
Modified Open Air Box and K&N Filter
Carbon Engine Covers on left and right cases
Modified Radiators with Carbon Covers
Hand made alloy coolant expansion tank
All bolts are Titanium/Alloy where possible
Power 122rwhp @ 9,000rpm & 84ft/lbs torque. Dry Weight 170kgs (110rwhp @ 7,000prm)
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

:cry: :cry: :cry: BOOHOOHOOO :cry: :cry: :cry:

I want that bike!

:cry: :cry: :cry: BOOHOOHOOO :cry: :cry: :cry:
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Wayne

What you messing about for mate, get yourself Del's VTR - one serious piece of kit and probably the trickest VTR in the country. :wink2

Hardly anything on the bike is standard, picks the front up off the throttle at 90 in 3rd too. :eek2

You know you want to! (and we know you can afford it) :biggrin
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

My pa-in-law runs a CBR600 which he loves to bitz. On paper, talking outright speds and quarters there doesn't appear to be much to seperate the two however, when he took the storm out for a blast he came back totally gobsmacked ! He couldn't believe the amount of "effortless stomp" available...everywhere. The sheer "happy torque" factor had him grinning from ear to over there.
He's not buying one because he said it's a bit too rapid for him ??
Just goes to show the difference between Fast and bloody quick eh?
Nuff said! Ahhh..happy, happy happy, happy torque. :P
Lucazade

Post by Lucazade »

I had a short stint (3 months) on a '99 CBR600 last year, but I kept my VTR because I prefer it for road use.

There's obviously a lack of grunt in comparison to the VTR, which made quite hectic for me to ride at my usual pace. The VTR is heavier and, being taller, it feels so at low speed. In terms of overall performance there's very little between them, but the CBR is faster when it hooks up in higher gears. Suspension-wise the CBR is much better too.

In terms of running costs, the CBR wins hands-down: spares and mods are usually cheaper, there's less that needs modifying and it takes much less petrol (I usually did 40 miles more with a tankful). The CBR is much better quality too, both in terms of materials (more alloy) and overall finish.

The VTR wins when you ride on open sweeping roads: the speed then can be worrying. It is a more relaxed ride and hence takes much less effort to get from A to B. You'll only have to stop more often for petrol, but this can be good as you can take a rest and arrive to your destination less stressed.
-- Luca.
----------------------
Second-hand bike parts:
http://www.aboutbikes.co.uk
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

Lucazade wrote:I had a short stint (3 months) on a '99 CBR600 last year, but I kept my VTR because I prefer it for road use.
In terms of running costs, the CBR wins hands-down: spares and mods are usually cheaper, there's less that needs modifying and it takes much less petrol (I usually did 40 miles more with a tankful). The CBR is much better quality too, both in terms of materials (more alloy) and overall finish.
I ran an '87 CBR for 2 years b4 i got the VTR.
Used to get on average 180 miles out of a tank full.
Came as a shock when i had to tank the vtr about every 110 miles.
Got used to it now though.
Found the build quality of the storm to be excellant, even after running it all through last winter(bought a cheap car to avoid the real nasty weather this year and the ice).

Wouldnt swap for anything, except maybe a Cannondale Super Motard.
:twisted:

Robb
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Can't understand all the fuss about tank range meself. I've never had a bike yet that'd do more than 100 miles to reserve.

I suppose if you live in a remote area of the outer hebrides where your nearest petrol station is across several glens followed by a short ferry ride then it may be an issue. :biggrin
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
Ian E

Post by Ian E »

I've had two CBR600's (93/96) and then two VTR1000's (98/00). They are totally different. I got on with the CBRs straight away. I bought the VTR without a test ride and initially regretted it. However after about a 1000 miles I got used to it and now wouldn't go back to the CBR.

The riding position on the VTR1000 is a lot more radical than the earlier CBRs

Tank range is awful - when I'm over at the Isle Of Man I get around 80 miles from a full tank until the warning light.

I run Bridgestone 010s on mine - get around 2000-2500 miles out of a rear and not much more out of a front.

Would recommend a VTR1000 to anybody - top value for money :). Then again CBRs aren't bad either :)

Cheers,

Ian.
Robbe

Post by Robbe »

Ian E wrote:The riding position on the VTR1000 is a lot more radical than the earlier CBRs
Compared to an '87 CBR, the VTR feels like a limo.
Nice and stretched out, used to get cramped on the cbr, resulting in pins and needles in my hands and lots of tension on the neck and back (good excuse to go for a massage though :) ).

Robb
Masu

Post by Masu »

I love my VTR, they are not so "Cool" here in Japan, which means when you stop somewhere at a rest area in a riders zone there are ot 20 other VTRs there (Rwhats, GSXR1000s Ducs, etc.).

I went from an 85 GSXR 750 (fully restored and it ROCKED) to the VTR, I could ot be happier :lol:

One point, the Heli bars on the VTR make a HUGE diff, I would recomend them to anyone.

Some of my fav twisty bits (route 411 in Okutama) have tons of corners, on the old GSXR I would have shifted hundreds of times on the long and winding road, on the VTR, once or twice, that means I have much more free brain time to RIDE the bike, one less thing to do :roll:

Now this is are REASONABLE street speeds (reasonable to me, not the cops) not the track.

No doubt that the 600 is a great bike, but for me, the VTR is just right.

Tank range, who cares, I live in Japan, there are bloody gas stands everywhere.

:lol:

Cheers!
"Not all who wander are lost."
-J. R. R. Tolkien