Anyone drilled a lower cowl - oil glass sight?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Porkpie

Anyone drilled a lower cowl - oil glass sight?

Post by Porkpie »

I love the look of my black FV and the aftermarket lower cowl but I can’t get a good view on the oil level glass.

I’m thinking:

1. Mark target centre
2. Remove lower cowl
3. Mark corresponding target on inside of cowl
4. Put cross of masking tape over target to stop slipping like drilling a wall tile
5. Place on cushion
6. Drill pilot hole from inside
7. Expand hole
8. Sand
9. Paint with the wife’s black nail varnish which is an almost perfect touch up match
10. Give the beast a good thraping

Whaddaya reckon?
benny hedges

Re: Anyone drilled a lower cowl - oil glass sight?

Post by benny hedges »

you could drill it out and get a rubber blanking grommet to fill the hole?
would look neater imo :thumbup:

halfrauds sell them and other car shops.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Porkpie

Post by Porkpie »

benny hedges wrote:you could drill it out and get a rubber blanking grommet to fill the hole?
would look neater imo :thumbup:

halfrauds sell them and other car shops.

Nice one I got some in the 'might come in handy' box bought for the side panels on the VFR thanks for reminding me :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I did more or less what you have suggested for my R&G protector bobbins in the sides of the main fairing. I used a hole cutter that electricians, carpenters or plumbers use, drilling in from the front using the pilot hole for centering that I drilled from behind as you're intending to do. I'm not sure I'd use a cushion for protection, the drill bit will wind it up around it. I placed the fairing on a piece of wood.

Chris.
vtrmarkone

Post by vtrmarkone »

I just cut a nice curve out of my lowers with a coping saw and then rounded the edges with sand paper , it looks like it was made that way now .
Not sure about giving the beast a good thrapping though !! I just gave myself a pat on the back lol
BEHAVE or i'll beat you like a ginger stepchild !!
elric

Post by elric »

Instead of drilling you could push through with a soldering iron then use a cone cutter to expand the hole, you could do it without removing it.
It's only easy if you know the answer!