POXY CCT's AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
RQ

POXY CCT's AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Post by RQ »

Getting that tapping noise again..... 8O This is madness, I only put a new one in the front last August (according to my ranting posts back then) What is going on. Has anyone replaced the blades as well as the tensioner?, could it be that they are worn too? Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhh. :evil:

Del, those measurements you wanted, are they from the axle to the disk, or to the edge of the "brassy bits"?!?
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
tony.wilde1

tensioners

Post by tony.wilde1 »

well ive got 2 ape manual tensioners on order from debben..at least ill know whats going on with them..its a bit of a lottery with auto tensioners mate.at least ill know if i get any rattles it wont be them..we are not alone..apparently this tail has been happening to haybusa owners too..snap snap boom!..cheers
RQ

Post by RQ »

Hi Tony
yeah, the manual ones were discussed at some stage a while ago, and the common question was "when to tighten". Over tighten and the blades, tensioner, and chain will wear, too loose and your chain could jump a tooth on the cog, neither of which is a good idea!! I spoke to a 'dodgey - dealer' who said to tighten them up every couple of thousand miles. Bit too much like stabbing in the dark!
What I can't understand is the stupidity of Honda making these crappy bits of equipment that continuously fail. If it was something that just went and no other damage was caused, well fine, but christ if you are unlucky and these go, you could end up with a shagged motor.

I feel better after that mouthing off. :roll: I'm in the happy place again. Think happy thoughts.
Off I go to order more tensioners!! Woo Hoooo!! 8O 8O
RQ.
tony.wilde1

billet

Post by tony.wilde1 »

i had an email from usa...a.p.e. gave me soem instructions ..and ex-viffer hjas them in his bike too.i guess if you remove the moving parts of a crap tensioner thats one less thing to worry about.www.ape-raceparts.com.have a look mate!!coem to your own conclusions.cheers.
RQ

Post by RQ »

As the Budweiser guys say............... True............ :!:
As you are there, how much did you pay for them ?
RQ.
tony.wilde1

dosh

Post by tony.wilde1 »

theyre 82quid a pair all in including delivery.ok mate?
RichieCook

Post by RichieCook »

Im starting to panic about this now! Is the noise really apparant and any way you can describe it to me! Is it always there when thre motors running or just at tickover?

Cheers Boys!
Waheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey
RQ

Post by RQ »

All right Richie,
It is a tickedy tappedy noise, I only notice it as the engine is warming up, not there when hot, not there when running on choke. I used a dowel rod to find which one was gone, stick it in the ear, up against the front one, same for the back, biggest ticker is the winner!! It's my back one that is going now.

Del, you know the way you said to release the pressure before whipping the tensioner out, could that be done by taking out both spark plugs, and doing nothing else?
RQ.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

you have to find TDC on the compression stroke for the one you are going to change. The last one I did I actually took the cam covers off to check it properly as a virtually new one was starting to fail. The chain was riding up the cam sprockets when under load from the valves. Err there is a post explaining how to do it somewhere. Way too long winded to write again.

You can remove the plug from the one you are not changing, this was the only compression you feel is from the one you are going to change. But bear in mind there is more force from opening the valves than the compression when turned over by hand, be careful.

Del.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Here you go Del.
http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/phpBB2 ... php?t=2042

That should save your delicate little pinkies from keyboard strain. :wink:
RQ.
There is also the original link back there somewhere. I'll leave you to have a look if you need to. Personally I would at least take the rocker cover off and make sure the cam lobes are in the right direction before doing the job again

Pete.l
RQ

Post by RQ »

Cheers Pete! I did my front one before that helpful thread came from Del, I was very lucky, the thing went pop at about 80 on engine braking. I wheeled it home, and when the part came, I just whipped out the old one and put in the new one!
Think I'll do it properly this time!!
RQ.